Big problems. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-06-2014, 08:29 PM   #1

Region: Canada
Thumbs down Big problems.

As I just lately posted I have swapped engines in my 97 GT.
Today I put in coolant and oil and checked my dipstick to see what my oil level is at and it is full of my coolant. I have not ran this engine yet as I just got it and put it in the car. Is there a bolt that blocks a water passage to the oil that I have put a short blot into that would allow the coolant to get into the pan as quick as I am putting it into the radiator, or am I going to the persons house that I bought this thing from with a bat?
I am beyond pissed right now!
thetrousertrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2014, 08:35 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Not that I'm aware of.

What parts did you swap over from your old engine?
Did you have the heads off?
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:47 PM   #3

I had the Valve covers, Timing cover, Intake and Water pump out of it. That's it. The engine came with a brand new oil filter and was drained of all oil. Its my fault as I took the guy at his word and didn't check the compression on the engine. I saw the car it came from and it was wrecked and figured it was a good running engine like I was told.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2014, 09:16 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Hmmm.
Nothing that you did could cause the coolant to leak into the pan so quickly.

Sit down and take a few deep breaths TT...

From what you describe, it is entirely possible that the engine you installed has:
1. A blown head gasket
2. A cracked head.
3. A cracked block.

It's also possible that this engine was fine when it was removed and it sat outside in freezing weather with water in the coolant passages and it froze and cracked something.

If you do go back to the seller, be nice, tell him the problem , and try to get a refund.
Then take it from there...
Old 09-06-2014, 09:41 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
how much did you pay?
TurboCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:01 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
So you are saying as you filled the overflow tank with antifreeze it went straight to the oil pan? And you had not started it after or started it before? Because first off if the engine was cold, and you were initially filling for the first time, it is hard to find how the antifreeze went to the oil pan, thermostat would of been closed, and the antifreeze should of went to radiator only. Once you started it and the thermostat opened, it would of allowed to flow thru the engine. Something does not sound right. Are you sure you had a good seal at the water pump and where the oil pan and front cover meet?

2015 Race Red Performance Package GT 5.0 (435hp) stock
Still in the making Updates coming soon!
99_GRUMPY_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 11:25 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_GRUMPY_GT View Post
So you are saying as you filled the overflow tank with antifreeze it went straight to the oil pan? And you had not started it after or started it before? Because first off if the engine was cold, and you were initially filling for the first time, it is hard to find how the antifreeze went to the oil pan, thermostat would of been closed, and the antifreeze should of went to radiator only. Once you started it and the thermostat opened, it would of allowed to flow thru the engine. Something does not sound right. Are you sure you had a good seal at the water pump and where the oil pan and front cover meet?
The coolant will travel freely through the lower radiator hose and fill both the radiator AND the engine block from the bottom up. It won't even reach the thermostat until it's almost completely full.
And coolant will still pass through the thermostat when its closed, just not enough to cool the engine.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:06 AM   #8

Well I tried to call the person I bought it from and the phone is disconnected, Went by his place and he no longer lives there. I am on my own for fixing this one up.
I don't believe its heads or head gaskets as the coolant in the rad and the coolant in the block are at the same level now, That level is under where the heads sit. Its definitely a block issue.
Disappointing but life goes on.
Now I'm on the hunt for a cheap bottom end!
Old 09-07-2014, 01:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_GRUMPY_GT View Post
I haven't ran the engine at all. The battery isn't even hooked up yet. I just got a lemon and now will have to start over.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT