My 2002 mustang gt - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-08-2014, 01:47 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
My 2002 mustang gt

Hi guys I'm new to the mustang evolution.
OK here it is I have a 2002 mustang gt and I'm wanting to make a little more HP.
Already mods:24lb injectors ,fuel rail, steeda lowering springs, drag bars (think that's what there called ) , short throw shift, and I think that's pretty much it . Bought the car it was garage kept so it looks awesome with only 74,000 miles.
I'm trying to stay clear of turbo/supercharger for now but still wanting a little more kick to it .
I love mustangs and this is my first one.
So any help would be appreciated. I will post pics when I figure out how lol . Thanks guys .

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
smsstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2014, 03:20 AM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Cai, tune, gears

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:51 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I would do exhaust, gears, intake plenum, and most definitely a tune with those injectors.

Are you trying to post pics from the app or a computer?
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2014, 10:05 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Okay what gears do y'all recommend ? And what tune would yall do ? As for the pictures its from a app?

Old 09-08-2014, 10:08 AM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
4.10s and a custom dyno tune if you can, if not then MPT. If you truly have #24s they will be blue topped injectors and the car is probably PIG rich if its on the stock tune as the stock tune was actually written for #19s. If they are orange or pink tops you were lied to as orange is 19 and pink is 21.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:09 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

How big of throttle body and plenum ?

Old 09-08-2014, 05:35 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
4.10s and a custom dyno tune if you can, if not then MPT. If you truly have #24s they will be blue topped injectors and the car is probably PIG rich if its on the stock tune as the stock tune was actually written for #19s. If they are orange or pink tops you were lied to as orange is 19 and pink is 21.
OK I'm pretty sure there 24lb , I actualy have 4.10s on the side but I've been told 373 are better in the long run ? Also what is a MPT ? Also what else can I do to increase my HP ? Mabey cam ? I'm still new so I don't know which way to go

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

Any other help would be appreciated thanks guys

Old 09-08-2014, 05:35 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by smsstang View Post
OK I'm pretty sure there 24lb , I actualy have 4.10s on the side but I've been told 373 are better in the long run ? Also what is a MPT ? Also what else can I do to increase my HP ? Mabey cam ? I'm still new so I don't know which way to go

Mpt is a tuning company. More power tuning I believe.

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:46 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Cam is not going to do much and the work to do it is not in my opinion worth the hassle.

2015 Race Red Performance Package GT 5.0 (435hp) stock
Still in the making Updates coming soon!
99_GRUMPY_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:57 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

So what would be the steps to take to start the HP gain process ?

Old 09-08-2014, 07:58 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So what would be the steps to take to start the HP gain process ?

Alot of nitrous or boost. Or a motor swap

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:04 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post

This is true. If he won't pull the motor and swap it his best bet is probably a S trim. Camming is a waste of time/money when for not very much more you can do a supercharger.

That said, now that earlier Coyote pullout motors are in the $3k range that is cheaper than a TFS head/cam combo. The beauty of the Coyote is now that the gremlins have been pretty much all worked out its pretty easy to drop one into anything, they bolt to the 4.6L K member and you can even use the 96-04 transmissions with them.

As for the original question, I would do all the "bolt ons" a good tune and the biggest mistake ppl always make with these cars is leaving the stock suspension. A good suspension setup with good tires makes up for a lot when coming out of the hole. Also, get 4.10s, whoever told you 3.73s are better in the long run has his head up his ***. With a .62 overdrive in the 02-04 manuals, you can even do 4.30s and be totally fine for the highway.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:12 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

S trim or F1 a. ., or 200+ shot

Old 09-08-2014, 09:02 PM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Used V1s and V2s go for $1500 on the Corral routinely and its pretty easy to tell if a Vortech is good or not and also not super expensive to rebuild them if it needs it.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:09 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
This is true. If he won't pull the motor and swap it his best bet is probably a S trim. Camming is a waste of time/money when for not very much more you can do a supercharger.

That said, now that earlier Coyote pullout motors are in the $3k range that is cheaper than a TFS head/cam combo. The beauty of the Coyote is now that the gremlins have been pretty much all worked out its pretty easy to drop one into anything, they bolt to the 4.6L K member and you can even use the 96-04 transmissions with them.

As for the original question, I would do all the "bolt ons" a good tune and the biggest mistake ppl always make with these cars is leaving the stock suspension. A good suspension setup with good tires makes up for a lot when coming out of the hole. Also, get 4.10s, whoever told you 3.73s are better in the long run has his head up his ***. With a .62 overdrive in the 02-04 manuals, you can even do 4.30s and be totally fine for the highway.
Okay so I should put my ford racing 4.10s in ? And can you give me a list of all the bolt ons I can do before getting into the turbo/supercharger stage ? And a good estimate of the horse power after I install them ? Thanks man I'm already learning lol

Old 09-09-2014, 12:20 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post

Lol I'm trying to keep my motor reliable for a little longer ? Won't nitros put some stress on it to much ?

Old 09-09-2014, 12:27 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Okay so I should put my ford racing 4.10s in ? And can you give me a list of all the bolt ons I can do before getting into the turbo/supercharger stage ? And a good estimate of the horse power after I install them ? Thanks man I'm already learning lol

If you really want to feel like you're going fast, put the 4.10's in. I've got 3.73's in mine, and they're Mehh at best. They're fun and all, but theres more to be desired. As for how much hp to expect with all the mods you want to do, i'd say you're looking at maybe between 300-315hp to the wheels depending on the dyno. That's if you add cams and such. I'm no expert, and I'm sure one of these dudes that know more than I will chime in if i'm wrong, but that's what I hear most people are getting out of their 2v's with just the basic stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:27 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
My opinion you don't put NOS on a stock engine. Try the easy bolt on first. But me if I was going to do NOS. I would work in the engine internals first. Like I said my opinion. Others migt disagree.

rollo1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:33 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Do the 410s for sure. Best mod I have done so far. Get a good set of lowering springs (like H&R super sports), good strut shock set up (like billstein, koni, tokico), caster camber plates (Maximum Motorsports-the best), lower control arms (steeda, etc), sub frame connectors (steeda), and a good wheel and tire set up, that should get the added power to the ground for your future mods. As far as bolt ons, CAI (some say this is a waste as I tend to agree), Plenum and throttle body, cat back exhaust or x/h pipe with high flow mufflers, headers (not a huge gain but will help with any future power adder mods), under drive pulleys, and then a good true dyno tune to tie it all together. But like others have said in the long run you can throw a 100 shot kit or a find a used vortech s/c, and actually save a little money verse "building" the motor with heads, cams, etc.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:36 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

There have been a few guys on here with "full bolt ons" and a dyno tune putting down 255-265 hp to the wheels.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:17 AM   #21
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollo1987 View Post
My opinion you don't put NOS on a stock engine. Try the easy bolt on first. But me if I was going to do NOS. I would work in the engine internals first. Like I said my opinion. Others migt disagree.

Not sure to comment first on the fact that NOS is a brand of Nitrous, not Nitrous itself or the fact that a properly setup and tuned nitrous kit will be totally fine for a long time. I guess I answered my own question though lol.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:26 AM   #22
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:

-Basic maintenance first:
-Oil change
-WIX Filter
-COP rebuild kit and new spark plugs
****Drain your 3650 transmission ASAP and re-fill with 3.2 quarts of Pennzoil Synchromesh****

I 4 star that because these transmissions were overfilled from the factory with 3.8 quarts. This creates windage issues and a TSB was released about it with an updated fill quantity from Ford. As a 2002 with 74k on it, it is very likely the transmission still has the original factory fluid or if not it is also very likely whoever did the fluid change looked at the owner's manual and re-filled it with the wrong quantity.

As for Mods:

-Gears
-Mid Pipe and Catback (stock manifolds are fine on 96-04 cars)
-MGW Shifter
-Cold Air intake (JLT is best)
-Trick Flow Plenum/75mm TB
-Lowering springs
-Caster Camber Plates (max motorsports)
-Lower control arms (Steeda gets my vote here)
-Subframe connectors (Steeda here too)
-Good set of wheels and tires
-MPT tune

Fuel system figure $500-$800 if you do it right and DIY, a blower can range anywhere from a $1500 used Vortech to a brand new Kenne Bell 2.1 for $5k+... Your transmission should be fine for as much as the engine can take with the stock rods.

Now... tally up the price of all this stuff plus what you paid for your 02 and bump it against how much you could get a 2011 5.0 for or even a 2011 3.7 for. You may think twice about modding your 02.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:26 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I always used the term NOS for short but yea. Your prob right I work with some mechanics in shops that always told me if you used nitrous work on the internals. Saw one person screw up a brand new 350z using it. Then tried getting the dealer to warranty it

Old 09-09-2014, 08:32 AM   #24
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
I always used the term NOS for short but yea. Your prob right I work with some mechanics in shops that always told me if you used nitrous work on the internals. Saw one person screw up a brand new 350z using it. Then tried getting the dealer to warranty it

If someone screwed up a brand new 350z its because they were a moron or the ppl who did it were morons. Lmao at trying to get the dealer to warranty it.

Generally ppl who mess up motors with nitrous are the dumbasses who try to run it with no tune or too big a shot on a motor that can't handle it or don't have the fuel for it or its tuned badly. I love the stories of ppl who don't make sure the nitrous turns off if the car hits the rev limiter, those are always fun. Pure nitrous with no fuel and a noob=hilarity.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:37 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Nitrous is perfectly fine on a stock motor. It's just as " safe" as a turbo or supercharger. All depends on how fat you push it

Old 09-09-2014, 09:43 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Yea and the best part was that he tried to hide it say he never ha nitrous. But never took te tank straps off and all the lines were still connected.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:49 AM   #27
Staff
Regular
Staff

Honestly if you pulled everything off and flashed it back to stock you MIGHT get away with it. When the new SHO Tauruses (Taurii?) came out in 2010, one of the first ppl to blow up their motor had all sorts of aftermarket stuff done to it. He put it all back to stock and Ford was so quick to replace his motor to keep any potential bad press from getting out on the new ecoboost they didn't find out he had a bad tune that melted a piston until well after the fact.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:26 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

That's Awsome.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:07 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve96 View Post
Do the 410s for sure. Best mod I have done so far. Get a good set of lowering springs (like H&R super sports), good strut shock set up (like billstein, koni, tokico), caster camber plates (Maximum Motorsports-the best), lower control arms (steeda, etc), sub frame connectors (steeda), and a good wheel and tire set up, that should get the added power to the ground for your future mods. As far as bolt ons, CAI (some say this is a waste as I tend to agree), Plenum and throttle body, cat back exhaust or x/h pipe with high flow mufflers, headers (not a huge gain but will help with any future power adder mods), under drive pulleys, and then a good true dyno tune to tie it all together. But like others have said in the long run you can throw a 100 shot kit or a find a used vortech s/c, and actually save a little money verse "building" the motor with heads, cams, etc.

So I guess the 2v wasn't the best motor to go adding HP to? How big of throttle body and plenum should I go with my 24lbinjectors ? I already have a CAI, steeda lowering springs, short throw, nitto 555 tires 285 on back ...so basically for bolt on I don't have much left

Old 09-09-2014, 12:32 PM   #30
Staff
Regular
Staff

I listed which plenum/tb to get already. Summit sells it as a combo, get it from them, its $279 IIRC. Your next step right after that is to get a tune to make those 24s work properly with your PCM.

That's just about all you can do to the engine at this point without spending a lot of money. Don't get me wrong, the 2V is a quick motor for what it is, but these days with 300hp V6 sedans becoming pretty common... well...

Old 09-09-2014, 01:09 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I have some bolt on stuff throttle body plenum and under drive pullies in the classified ads if you wanna check them out.

FastEddie03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 04:49 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Trick flow plenum and tb is the best route from summit like Scotty said.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:04 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Honestly I wouldn't waste money on all of it.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:07 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

I watched my cousin put alot of money in his 2v, and be highly disappointed. would just simply boost it or the bottle.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:13 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

What is it exactly that makes a 4.6L a weak to build all motor?

Besides rods

Why?
Judge_dredd is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Tags
2002 mustang