Engine swap - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-11-2014, 03:16 PM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
ima do a powerstroke swap into mine, just for ****s and giggles...
1995 5.0 u/d,cai,t/b,shorty headers,x pipe,flows 40's,373 gears, alum. driveshaft, alum. radiator, shift kit, e-cam, ported upper and lower intake, 100 shot of spray, 2100 stall, black 0304 cobras. suspension: upper and lower control arms, sub frame connecters, and springs all SVE
mystang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2014, 03:21 PM   #72
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang50 View Post
6.7 L turbo diesel!
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 03:22 PM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang50 View Post
Cummins swap with the Allison Trans
Powerstroke is *****.
Except for the 7.3l and the new 6.7 after you dellete the dpf and all the other crap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2014, 09:39 PM   #74
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Sorry jonathanadams22 about the huge thread jack lol. Figured to ask questions in here since they still pertain to engine swap stuff.

Ok so just looking over all the parts that may be needed. I watched LMR's videos on their swap, looks like they were able to use stock K member (SLA conversion is in the future, so i don't want to buy 2 tubular K members). The one thing i'm trying to figure out that can either cost a lot or save a lot of money is the exhaust. The only "Coyote swap" exhaust parts i can find are LT headers and X pipe. Thats like $1k right there. I was thinking if i used a set of stock coyote manifolds, and got my current full length O/R H pipe modified to fit with those.

Another thing is an alternator kit and flywheel/clutch..... That'll most likely depend on how dressed said engine is.

Here are links to the parts in said questions, what do you guys think the exhaust will entail? (As much as i would like the LTs, i need to keep the budget down to ensure i can actually afford the entire swap up front).

BBK Coyote 5.0L Mustang Swap Off Road Shorty X-Pipe 1787 (79-04 All w/ Long Tube Headers) - Free Shipping
BBK Ceramic Coyote 5.0L Mustang Swap Long Tube Headers 16340 (79-04 All) - Free Shipping
Ford Racing Cast Iron Mustang Manifolds M-9430-SR50 (11-14 GT) - Free Shipping
M-8600-M50B - LatemodelRestoration.com Search

I've heard the TR3650 bolts right up.

I'm facebook friends with 2 people who have done Coyote swaps in New Edges so i'll try to pick their brains for more info (TJ and Calvin if you guys know who they are)
Anything that fits a modular fits a Coyote so yes the 3650 bolts up. However, good luck shifting a 3650 at 7500+...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:45 PM   #75
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Anything that fits a modular fits a Coyote so yes the 3650 bolts up. However, good luck shifting a 3650 at 7500+...

Next thing after the motor will be the tranny lol

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:11 AM   #76
Staff
Regular
Staff

Honestly, my fresh stock 3650 shifts like butter at 6k, to the point where I'm not even sure I want to switch away from the Tri-Ax to the MGW even though I'm getting a ****ton of noise in the cabin through the shifter. If you were to get the 3650 rebuilt, get ahold of Stan at Pro-Force Performance in Atlanta. He specializes in those. Also Zak, the T45source guy is starting to do 3650s and if they are anything like his T45s they will be great.

However, if I was going to get a 5 speed built I'd get the A5 and adapt it to the Coyote via a Quicktime housing because if you are going to race at a 1/4 track you are going to have to have a scattershield to pass tech and its VERY expensive to retrofit a 3650 to do this and now that Keisler is out of business the T-45 adapter plates are OOP (unless Zak bought the rights to it and is going to make more). A Magnum is always an option as well but heavier, will not shift as smooth and the syncrhos in it have known issues with the teeth being way too small.

As for a Coyote vs a 2V/4V... the cheapest thing I could put together for a 2V is:

-Ported PI heads $1500
-ARP studs $400
-Boss rods $160
-Forged Cobra crank $200
-Cams $550
-Block work and rotating assy balancing - $500
-Springs/bearings/gaskets/seals/rings $500-$700
-Manley Pistons $550

That's over $4k right there before any sort of power adder. Used Coyote with the Ford harness can be gotten for this same price. Or you can try to find a Coyote with #8 issues or just rotating assy issues in general where the block is still good and drop a $1k Boss rotating assembly in which does not have to be balanced or anything and lets you go well past the normal Coyote power limit.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:28 AM   #77
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Engine swap

Quote:
That's over $4k right there before any sort of power adder. Used Coyote with the Ford harness can be gotten for this same price. Or you can try to find a Coyote with #8 issues or just rotating assy issues in general where the block is still good and drop a $1k Boss rotating assembly in which does not have to be balanced or anything and lets you go well past the normal Coyote power limit.

Yea I've been looking into all options, I also want an aluminum block, so for that 2v build add the cost of a Teskid or WAP. And that $4k you added up for the swap is only going to make like 320whp lol. I ain't going to spend that much for minimal gains, I would do more on my suspension before I do that.

It turns out I know someone else who bought a used coyote motor. He got it $2800 shipped with no issues. Ideally one with the #8 issue for cheaper would be better so it could just be forged.

I do want higher revving because that's better for corners, to make a 2v rev that high I'll probably spend as much in head work alone, which is why I've been looking into 4v. Even on a 99-01 Cobra or 03-04 Mach motor to get what I want I will probably end up spending the same amount of money after the fact as a coyote would be to drop in, that's another reason why I'm looking into it.

I just have to budget everything out and set a max price I can pay for the actual motor, then if I happen to find one that price it's game on. If not...... Well then I'll have a **** ton of money saved for either an SLA conversion, Turbo, or transmission lol

HID end all thread
Old 09-12-2014, 01:02 PM   #78
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah I keep forgetting you are a corner carver. The A47 SLA is probably the best one but $5k for a front end... there is a reason I am sticking to straight line and a $550 UPR front setup lol. Eventually. I am still kicking around selling the 2V now that its pulling to 6k consistently again and putting that money towards something else. Probably would not get the $$$ I wanted for it now tho with it starting to cool off but ppl are stupid.

Old 09-12-2014, 01:45 PM   #79
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Yeah I keep forgetting you are a corner carver. The A47 SLA is probably the best one but $5k for a front end... there is a reason I am sticking to straight line and a $550 UPR front setup lol. Eventually. I am still kicking around selling the 2V now that its pulling to 6k consistently again and putting that money towards something else. Probably would not get the $$$ I wanted for it now tho with it starting to cool off but ppl are stupid.

$43xx actually lol

HID end all thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT