New plan for my 2001 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-13-2014, 05:44 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
New plan for my 2001

So I decided the other day to actually 100% look into what it's going to cost me to max out my little 2v.

Finish the bolt-ons, new intake manifold, Trick Flow heads, Cams, yada yada, Procharger: over $10k (just the motor mind you) to be making like 450 before I blow it up.

Guy posted on one of my Mustang groups on facebook selling a 2013 5.0 motor with 30k miles on it: $3800 to essentially start fresh with same power my 2v would be struggling to push at it's maximum.

Now which do you think I'd rather do? Lol.

My original plan was to completely max out the 4.6 until I eventually blow it up and then drop a Coyote in there and start over. But why invest 10k+ into a motor when I could put a better, stronger, and newer motor in there for probably half the cost?

I think I'm just going to finish the bolt-ons, heads, cams, and the whatnot and just keep her n/a until I have the time and money to put a Coyote in. Thoughts? Opinions? Concerns?
HighlyBored is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2014, 08:05 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Drop the coyote in. We just had a thread on this and come to the conclusion it's faster, and ends up being cheaper. You wouldn't really have to worry about blowing the motor due to putting a pro charger on it, as long as your not an idiot and over push it. You can do the same to the 5.0 though. I think 3800 is a little high.. Some were saying closer to 3k is the normal price.

Yes I edit my posts a lot, auto correct likes to sabotage me!

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:31 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I always planned on putting a coyote in, I just didn't realize they were as cheap as they are. I still want to build the 4.6 a bit and run with that for a while. My main priority is buying something to get me through winters so I can't run around buying motors.... yet.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2014, 10:04 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
I keep telling ppl this. With the prices on pullout Coyotes nowadays, you''d be an idiot to build a 2V or 4V. I was the biggest 2V nutswinger in the world up until a year ago when the pullout prices really started to drop. I did not think they would get as cheap as they are.

In all honesty, it might even make more sense to sell the car you have and just buy a 2011+GT. Factor in the swap, supporting stuffs, cost of the car you have and what your time is worth to complete it all and it very well might=$20k.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 11:46 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I keep telling ppl this. With the prices on pullout Coyotes nowadays, you''d be an idiot to build a 2V or 4V. I was the biggest 2V nutswinger in the world up until a year ago when the pullout prices really started to drop. I did not think they would get as cheap as they are.

In all honesty, it might even make more sense to sell the car you have and just buy a 2011+GT. Factor in the swap, supporting stuffs, cost of the car you have and what your time is worth to complete it all and it very well might=$20k.
Couple reasons why I won't buy a newer mustang instead:

1. I do not have money. My car is a project car, which is 99% of the fun for me.

2. I STRONGLY prefer the new edge look to the s197 look. New edge is by far my favorite body style for a mustang.

I'd much rather slowly build a car I love and turn it into a monster than just going out and buying one that I don't like near as much just because it's faster.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:18 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
See this is whats been driving me nuts. Sell my current car and go for a 2011+ 5.0 or build the 2v but every time I get into it it comes out better getting the newer 5.0 and just building from there.

Oxford White Roush Stage 1 SN# 6925--SOLD but never forgotten!
Kona Blue GT premium - Slammed on BC's and BMR's full rear suspension
The_Chech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 12:21 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chech View Post
See this is whats been driving me nuts. Sell my current car and go for a 2011+ 5.0 or build the 2v but every time I get into it it comes out better getting the newer 5.0 and just building from there.
It should be obvious that it's going to be a better build with the 5.0. Your only problem should be which body style do you prefer. You can always slap a 5.0 in the new edge.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:36 PM   #8
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlyBored View Post
You can always slap a 5.0 in the new edge.

There you go

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 12:40 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
There you go

Always new this, wish I knew how cheap they were earlier though.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:42 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Honestly the new edge and 2010+ body style both are about equal in my book on style the 05-09 body style is really eh. I wouldn't mind swapping in a 5.0 into a new edge but I'd have to have some one else do it for me and the car would no longer be my daily driver at that point.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:48 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chech View Post
Honestly the new edge and 2010+ body style both are about equal in my book on style the 05-09 body style is really eh. I wouldn't mind swapping in a 5.0 into a new edge but I'd have to have some one else do it for me and the car would no longer be my daily driver at that point.
I agree on the 05-09 bodys, they were really... bland. The newer ones I do like I just love the new edge the most. Why would it would lose the DD status?
Old 09-14-2014, 12:52 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Because that would become my baby and a weekend only kind of car. I'd take it work some times but I'd try and keep it great condition. But really what I'm saying is OCD would kick in full drive if something happened.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:06 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Your first problem is tearing doing cams and heads. Build the bottom end of your 2v and leave the heads alone and just turn the boost up more.

Spending thousands on the heads of your first step towards disappointment. Boost it with forged rods and pistons and just drive it for what it is. LEAVE THE HEADS ALONE
Judge_dredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 01:51 PM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
The 2v heads fall flat on their faces near 6k at higher power levels without porting. Stock cams will also only support so much. Forging the 2v is damn near the cost of a Coyote pullout anyway before you even get into anything else.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 02:31 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
The 2v heads fall flat on their faces near 6k at higher power levels without porting. Stock cams will also only support so much. Forging the 2v is damn near the cost of a Coyote pullout anyway before you even get into anything else.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Yea this is what I finally realized. It's dumb to invest all your money into a 2v if you plan on going anywhere substantial with power.

I plan on keeping mine forever. Gonna get a coyote in her, completely redo the the *** end with better axle/diff/suspension, and definitely some forced induction at some point.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 09-14-2014, 03:00 PM   #16
ME Bloodhound
Staff

To make decent power out of a 2v you will need the pistons, rods, crank, good heads, good cams, and forced induction. That'll give you a whopping 400-600 through all of that with boost.

Coyote you will be making 420whp with bolt ons on stock internals and stock cams and heads. All you need to touch after that are the pistons, rods and very very minor head work to handle over 1k horses. All the while being lighter and having a much broader power range because of the variable cam timing.

Damnit, why do I keep convincing myself to spend more money? Lol

HID end all thread
Old 09-14-2014, 03:07 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
To make decent power out of a 2v you will need the pistons, rods, crank, good heads, good cams, and forced induction. That'll give you a whopping 400-600 through all of that with boost.

Coyote you will be making 420whp with bolt ons on stock internals and stock cams and heads. All you need to touch after that are the pistons, rods and very very minor head work to handle over 1k horses. All the while being lighter and having a much broader power range because of the variable cam timing.

Damnit, why do I keep convincing myself to spend more money? Lol

Exactly dude. I could spend an eazy 15k on my 2v just to hit 450hp, or I could spend like 3500 and damn near START with that.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:10 PM   #18
ME Bloodhound
Staff

New plan for my 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlyBored View Post
Exactly dude. I could spend an eazy 15k on my 2v just to hit 450hp, or I could spend like 3500 and damn near START with that.

Well if you get the coyote for $3k give or take there is still about $3.5k give or take of swap parts you will need. Like the control pack, oil pan, exhaust, battery relocation, alternator & accessory drive kits to keep your power steering, AC and such (they use electric power steering and we use hydraulic, so you need that one) and ect.... And also good idea to get a tune afterward.

HID end all thread
Old 09-14-2014, 03:12 PM   #19
ME Bloodhound
Staff

I've already put aside $1700, I want to do the swap next summer. So this college student is going to have to do some hardcore savings lol

HID end all thread
Old 09-14-2014, 03:23 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I've already put aside $1700, I want to do the swap next summer. So this college student is going to have to do some hardcore savings lol

My problem is I need to get a second car in time for winter 2015 (still at home plan on moving out this summer), which is really putting a damper on my spirits. I'm debating whether I just want to save up a couple grand by then or take out a loan to build credit so I can still have play money.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:35 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Ok now well see if abgbody ACTUALLY does the swap on this forum
Judge_dredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 03:36 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge_dredd View Post
Ok now well see if abgbody ACTUALLY does the swap on this forum
I 100% plan on it, just probably going to be a while lol.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:57 PM   #23
ME Bloodhound
Staff

I live on my college campus with only one car. So if it does happen then I'll have to do it during summer when I have one of my parents car to drive. And I just need time to save up in general. I can pull money from my investment, but really don't want to do that. I'm about to start getting into stocks hopefully I can make some quick money with that since I just started my own retirement fund (at 19 lol).

HID end all thread
Old 09-14-2014, 05:17 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I live on my college campus with only one car. So if it does happen then I'll have to do it during summer when I have one of my parents car to drive. And I just need time to save up in general. I can pull money from my investment, but really don't want to do that. I'm about to start getting into stocks hopefully I can make some quick money with that since I just started my own retirement fund (at 19 lol).

Hey I'm 19 and have retirement started already through my job too lol. But yea I just need a car for snow, can be pretty bad here in PA. Need a cheap beater before I can really start dropping major money like that into mine.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:41 PM   #25
ME Bloodhound
Staff

I was able to find this website with an amazing blog someone made while doing their own coyote swap in a New Edge. Lots of great information in here.

Coyotify Blog | All about Coyote swaps… | Page 4

HID end all thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT