cheapest way to get cobra calipers - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-14-2014, 12:25 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
cheapest way to get cobra calipers

would the replacement calipers for a cobra be the same from any manufacturer basically? If I was to go to napa or autozone and get them would they be as good of quality as say AM or LMR?
TurboCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2014, 03:39 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
The cheapest way will be the auto parts stores.

AM doesn't say if the FRPP calipers are new or rebuilt but I'm assuming that at that price they are new.
Generally, all brake parts are going to be of reasonable quality because the rebuilders don't want to be getting sued because of their parts failing and people getting hurt.
As always, I think that the odds are better that you will recieve quality parts using OEM.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 03:51 PM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Well eventually I'll be selling my Cobra brakes, that'll be when I upgrade to a set of 14" 6 piston Wilwoods or Baers. Few years most likely though.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2014, 04:10 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

so really, whatever place I can find selling them the cheapest is the best bet? Napa, autpzone, am, steeda whatever? Sounds good then. Was thinking ebay but Id rather have new or rebuilt to new so that I can put them on and forget about them.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:24 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
TC tell us where you end up getting them from, because I plan on going this route when time comes to change out rotors and pads.

Oxford White Roush Stage 1 SN# 6925--SOLD but never forgotten!
Kona Blue GT premium - Slammed on BC's and BMR's full rear suspension
The_Chech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:50 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Someone posted this question in another thread on another forum and I have the same thoughts.
Stock GT brakes on a coupe stop the mustang in 135 feet from 60mph.
Stock 2003-2004 cobra brakes do it in 116 feet from 60mph.

Thats a 19 foot difference, which is just over the length of your car (about 16 feet total for us), but still a large improvement.

Bullit kits are listed as 125 feet from 60mph. Even less of a difference. This is due to the bullit not having the exact same caliper as the 03-04 cobra which is said to have bigger pistons and gives more stopping power.

So considering all of this is it worth it to upgrade for a mear 10-19 feet of stopping power?
Old 09-16-2014, 08:59 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Hmmm.
I've read that the Bullitts will out stop a Cobra by a couple of feet.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:03 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

And yes, if 10 feet is the difference between rear ending another car or not in a panic stop, I'd say that it's worth it!
Old 09-16-2014, 09:13 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Okay, I now just have to find the best deal. Found a few kits but they come with rubber brake lines and I want ss
Old 09-16-2014, 09:21 PM   #10
ME Bloodhound
Staff

cheapest way to get cobra calipers

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Hmmm.

I've read that the Bullitts will out stop a Cobra by a couple of feet.

Weight of the car. Bullitts are much lighter

HID end all thread
Old 09-16-2014, 09:31 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
What I don't understand is thay Cobra brakes made a massive difference in braking, enough to where it feels like a lot more than 10 shorter in braking difference.

OP if lo you aren't opposed to 18s and you want a kit similar to the Cobra brake kit then I would look into Fully Torqued Racing's brake adaptor kit. They make an adaptor bracket to fit S197 14" rotors and calipers to the SN95. The only downfall is that you have to run 18s
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:33 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I have 18's could your provide a link. or I can google it later
Old 09-16-2014, 09:37 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile high JDF View Post
What I don't understand is thay Cobra brakes made a massive difference in braking, enough to where it feels like a lot more than 10 shorter in braking difference.

OP if lo you aren't opposed to 18s and you want a kit similar to the Cobra brake kit then I would look into Fully Torqued Racing's brake adaptor kit. They make an adaptor bracket to fit S197 14" rotors and calipers to the SN95. The only downfall is that you have to run 18s
1 - The Cobra setup lets these cars stop better because the caliper is bigger and also physically further out from the center axis of the wheel. This gives you much better leverage on the rotor for stopping purposes. This is why the rear Cobra brake setup is better too even though it uses the exact same caliper as the GT and V6. It is further out with a bigger vented rotor.

2 - If you are going to run S197 brakes, get the Vintage Venom kit and run GT500 brakes.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:04 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
1 - The Cobra setup lets these cars stop better because the caliper is bigger and also physically further out from the center axis of the wheel. This gives you much better leverage on the rotor for stopping purposes. This is why the rear Cobra brake setup is better too even though it uses the exact same caliper as the GT and V6. It is further out with a bigger vented rotor.

2 - If you are going to run S197 brakes, get the Vintage Venom kit and run GT500 brakes.
I guess I should reword question/statement. I understand how the reasoning for how a wider rotor allows for better leverage, what I don't understand is how it results in only a 10 ft shorter stopping distance. The car sure feels like it stops in a much shorter distance than my GT brakes did.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:43 PM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah but are you doing max effort mash on the pedal and let the ABS go nuts stops? For just regular stopping the Cobras feel much better I agree.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:47 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I haven't been hitting ABS unless driving like an idiot, but on track days I've noticed a huge difference along with street driving
Old 09-16-2014, 10:56 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

where did you buy yours jdf?
Old 09-16-2014, 11:15 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Ebay. Bought them used with 30k miles along with the used pads and rotors for $400 if I remember right
Old 09-17-2014, 12:38 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not sure where those numbers that TC posted came from, but tires play a big role in braking distance. When I switched from 200's to R-comps, my braking distance dropped significantly. The first corner that I entered, I used my usual braking point and it was WAY to early. I actually had to get back into the power again before my entry so I would have enough speed left for trail braking. Before I left the track that day, I knew that it was going to be necessary to beef up the A-arm bushings because the combination of the brakes and tires would surely destroy the brand new OEM rubber bushings in a season of autocross... If they even would last the whole season!
This was the impetus for building the new car. The Bullitt is one of the slowest V8 cars out there, but it has excellent stopping power so that is what I exploit and that is what I'm building the new car around... The tires and the brakes.
Really, the main advantage to the bigger brakes is that they buy you some more time before they start to get hot and fade. Due to the increased leverage, you dont need to stomp on them so hard and it keeps the heat from building up so fast.
It doesn't matter how fast or how good the car handles, when the brakes go away you're done!
Old 09-17-2014, 09:21 AM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
I'm not sure where those numbers that TC posted came from, but tires play a big role in braking distance. When I switched from 200's to R-comps, my braking distance dropped significantly. The first corner that I entered, I used my usual braking point and it was WAY to early. I actually had to get back into the power again before my entry so I would have enough speed left for trail braking. Before I left the track that day, I knew that it was going to be necessary to beef up the A-arm bushings because the combination of the brakes and tires would surely destroy the brand new OEM rubber bushings in a season of autocross... If they even would last the whole season!
This was the impetus for building the new car. The Bullitt is one of the slowest V8 cars out there, but it has excellent stopping power so that is what I exploit and that is what I'm building the new car around... The tires and the brakes.
Really, the main advantage to the bigger brakes is that they buy you some more time before they start to get hot and fade. Due to the increased leverage, you dont need to stomp on them so hard and it keeps the heat from building up so fast.
It doesn't matter how fast or how good the car handles, when the brakes go away you're done!
Which is why the GT500 can't autox to save its life. Every single pro driver who tested it was like "yeah for the first lap or two its great, then the brakes go striaght to hell". I'm not quite sure why the huge 6 puck brakes suck so much but w/e.

Even for drag racers, if you have a car that is hitting the traps at 130+ you might want to think about something bigger than the stock SN95 GT brakes especially if you are a 94-98. I remember how my foxes stopped too... "shudder"...

I also remember test driving my buddy's brand new 04 GT when we were at the dealer in 2004. The very first thing I said to him was "the brakes in this aren't nearly as good as my Cobra".

Old 09-17-2014, 11:47 AM   #21
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Baer or Wilwood 6 piston set up and be done.

HID end all thread
Old 09-17-2014, 11:54 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
stealing them is the cheapest way.
Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:46 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I thought about the wilwoods but I don't autox so really just a waste of money. The cobra upgrades will be perfect for my spirited daily driving hah.. currently searching all sites for best price
Old 09-17-2014, 01:14 PM   #24
Staff
Regular
Staff

The Corral classifieds almost always have somone selling the Cobra/Bullitt/Mach setup. You don't even have to do the rears, the fronts are usually enough. Pulling the axles also scares ppl away since you have to do that to convert the rears. Its really not a big deal but w/e.

Old 09-17-2014, 02:35 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, I plan to leave the rear calipers alone. Would be nice to have the bigger rotors though. Maybe next time I need pads and rotors I will upgrade the back's as well. I would rather not buy used from some forum heh don't trust people, its hard enough getting reputable websites to send you what they say they are let alone some random in a different city.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:47 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

A good time to do the rears is during a gear swap or a 31 spline upgrade.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT