I need new headlights - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-14-2014, 11:21 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I need new headlights

As I'm sure all of you know our headlights don't last in the sun due to the cheap plastic so it's time to get new ones. I've looked around a lot and read reviews but I would like to have some real input on the subject. Am sells many styles and most of the reviews are good but they all have some bad ones. Are there any brands out there I should avoid like the plague? Anyone have hands on experience with some? Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Mfore33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2014, 06:26 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Are your headlights just faded or are they broken? If they are just faded they can be cleaned up to look brand new with just some fine grit sandpaper and some polish.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Oxford White Roush Stage 1 SN# 6925--SOLD but never forgotten!
Kona Blue GT premium - Slammed on BC's and BMR's full rear suspension
The_Chech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:15 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chech View Post
Are your headlights just faded or are they broken? If they are just faded they can be cleaned up to look brand new with just some fine grit sandpaper and some polish.

+1 I bought a 3M kit of Amazon for $14. Mine look brand new

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FanOfSkynyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2014, 07:48 AM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
If you can't restore the old ones, the only headlights I would buy for a New Edge are OEM smoked replacements. They are pricey but they last. The Raxioms are ricey IMO.

It looks like you have a 99-04 from your avatar from what I can see. If you have a 94-98, get the DEPO projectors and don't look back.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:36 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I used a set of AM cobra style replacement headlights. I think they look OK and cleaned up the front. They aren't of the best quality though, if it was a daily driver I would have sent them back. They are fine for what I need them for and did the trick. I can see though if they were going to see a lot of the outdoor elements then they would fall apart after a couple years.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:39 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
American muscle chrome cobra style replacement lights 94-98. They Also have them for the 99-04 years I believe.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1410795500997.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	166061  
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:59 AM   #7
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfore33 View Post
As I'm sure all of you know our headlights don't last in the sun due to the cheap plastic so it's time to get new ones. I've looked around a lot and read reviews but I would like to have some real input on the subject. Am sells many styles and most of the reviews are good but they all have some bad ones. Are there any brands out there I should avoid like the plague? Anyone have hands on experience with some? Thanks.
Mfore33-I highly recommend ours for the best bang for the buck. If you don't have our forums code let me know and I'll get you set up as well. The only thing I would include is that they should really be resealed with RTV silicone sealer to ensure that they're not taking on water. In the event that they we're to have any type of condensation/issue we're not going to hesitate for a second to get them replaced for you. Let me know if there's anything I can help out with in the meantime!

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:02 AM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
If you have a 98 there is only one good option besides a $500 HID retrofit (which is the best option) and that is the DEPOs. They are high quality, perfect fit, come with legit Philips bulbs so you don't have to buy new bulbs and have an awesome wiring harness. If you want to run HIDs the projectors (while not optimal) will provide a clean cutoff and keep you from blinding oncoming traffic. Also, being a 9005/9006 housing, they allow you to run the mega uber bright 9011/9012 HIR bulbs which is what snow plows use if you don't want to run HIDs. To run a 9011 in a 9005 slot and a 9012 in a 9006 slot you need a pair of diagonal cutters and you snip a few plastic pieces off the top lock tab of each bulb and that's it. I run 9011 HIRs in my hi-beams and 9006 4300k OEM style quartz glass/laser aligned HIDs in my lo-beams.

2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 01:40 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Yes mine is a 2000 gt auto. Car has 200000 miles and the headlights are looking very yellow.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Old 09-15-2014, 02:32 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I just purcased mine from AM. When I received the first set by UPS, one of them was cracked, I called AM and they were prompt to send me out a new full set to swap out. They even 2nd day aired them to me so I would have them before our annual stang run. I purchased the black oem style. And they look great and fit great also. They are the best bang for the buck.

Here is the link to the ones I just got, hope this helps.

Black Mustang Replacement Headlights - Pair (99-04 All) - Free Shipping

2015 Race Red Performance Package GT 5.0 (435hp) stock
Still in the making Updates coming soon!
99_GRUMPY_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:34 PM   #11
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_GRUMPY_GT View Post
I just purcased mine from AM. When I received the first set one of them was cracked, I called AM and ywere promt to send me out a new full set to swap out. They even 2nd day aired them to me so I would have them before our annual stang run. I purchased the black oem style. And they look great and fit great also. They are the best bang for the buck.

Here is the link to the ones I just got, hope this helps.

Black Mustang Replacement Headlights - Pair (99-04 All) - Free Shipping
Hey Grumpy-Sorry to hear about the shipping issue! UPS can definitely be hit miss every now and then, but I'm happy to hear that our CS team got a replacement sent out ASAP! If there's ever anything I can help out with please don't hesitate to contact me, I'm always here to help out!

Alex
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 09-15-2014, 04:51 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAlexLazarus View Post
Hey Grumpy-Sorry to hear about the shipping issue! UPS can definitely be hit miss every now and then, but I'm happy to hear that our CS team got a replacement sent out ASAP! If there's ever anything I can help out with please don't hesitate to contact me, I'm always here to help out!

Alex
All good, story had a happy ending.

That is why my usual rant is always about CS. When something does go wrong, yes the CS team is usually willing to help out when fault is found by other than the buyer. Sending the replacement item overnight or 2 day air is the proper way to maintain loyal HAPPY customers, and not PISSED OFF customers that will spread the bad news all over the web. If a company prides themselves on taking care of mishaps, but yet makes the customer wait ground shipping time to get a replacement, then that there is not good CS in my mind. That is a company trying to save a buck and not caring about the customer having to wait double amt of time. Especially after the shock and awe factor upon a buyer opening a package only to find broken sh*t.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:08 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I can understand shipping mishaps. Although we all have seen the videos of mail workers throwing and destroying the mail. If you are not willing to treat each package as if it were your own you don't need to be involved in the mail system.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:39 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
If you have a 98 there is only one good option besides a $500 HID retrofit (which is the best option) and that is the DEPOs. They are high quality, perfect fit, come with legit Philips bulbs so you don't have to buy new bulbs and have an awesome wiring harness.
The ones I just got from AM are DEPO's. I just noticed it as I walked past the box the lights were housed in. So I guess they are of good quality. And yes they did have the Phillips bulbs in them already.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:25 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
take your toothpaste out side put a bunch on each headlight and buff them with a rag.. will look great! just try it, it works even if its temporary until you buy new ones.
TurboCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:29 AM   #16
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_GRUMPY_GT View Post
All good, story had a happy ending. That is why my usual rant is always about CS. When something does go wrong, yes the CS team is usually willing to help out when fault is found by other than the buyer. Sending the replacement item overnight or 2 day air is the proper way to maintain loyal HAPPY customers, and not PISSED OFF customers that will spread the bad news all over the web. If a company prides themselves on taking care of mishaps, but yet makes the customer wait ground shipping time to get a replacement, then that there is not good CS in my mind. That is a company trying to save a buck and not caring about the customer having to wait double amt of time. Especially after the shock and awe factor upon a buyer opening a package only to find broken sh*t.
I'm happy to hear this-We really pride ourselves on our customer service and again, if there's ever anything I need to hear about shoot me a PM and I'll see to it that you're taken care of! We never want to hear about sour experiences but to be honest when issues are posted it's the best part of my day getting customers help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfore33 View Post
I can understand shipping mishaps. Although we all have seen the videos of mail workers throwing and destroying the mail. If you are not willing to treat each package as if it were your own you don't need to be involved in the mail system.
I understand where you're coming from on this!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 09-16-2014, 01:41 PM   #17

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboCobra View Post
take your toothpaste out side put a bunch on each headlight and buff them with a rag.. will look great! just try it, it works even if its temporary until you buy new ones.
I think its meguirs, could be mothers. But Plasti-x works awesome with a buffing wheel

If you are removing the head lights itll be easier to buff. But if on the car, mask off the paint on the hood, fenders, grill, and bumper cover with tape!
Caustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:59 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic View Post
If you are removing the head lights itll be easier to buff. But if on the car, mask off the paint on the hood, fenders, grill, and bumper cover with tape!

That is alot of masking off.

If you are going to buff them out while on the car, tape around the headlight, 2 times for double tape coverage. That should be enough tape as so the buff wheel does not hit painted area. I did my sister-n-laws car last month with Mothers headlight restorer. 3 step process, first you apply retorer and buff it out. Then wipe clean, 3rd step is to apply the clear sealant. Mothers makes a great product, but the best out there is 3M if you can get it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT