Mustang Evolution Forum banner

99-04 Coyote Swap

32K views 124 replies 18 participants last post by  Bgrimes1 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok so the idea has pondered my mind lately and i started doing some research into what all it would take, what parts are needed, and what you can go around. I've also seen a few others who have been thinking of it as well since the price of Coyote pull out engines are coming down in price, so its relatively easy to find used ones for cheaper.... And whether or not i actually go through with it might as well get some info out there for others who may. There is so much information out there i've probably only seen 30% of it, so i'll post up a bunch of links that are packed with information.

Start out by watching these videos Late Model Restoration put out. It'll give a general overview of what its all about.

Mustang Coyote Engine Swap Project

I dug up a few threads and blogs about the swap as well which i found some amazing information.

The guy who made the thread below also made the write up below that.
Rktsci25's 01 GT Coyote Swap 440rwhp, 30 mpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/877183/Swap_writeup.pdf

This next one is a blog someone made while they were doing the swap in their '00 Convertible

Coyotify Blog | All about Coyote swaps… | Page 4

By the looks of it you can spend a whole ton on the swap, or there are some places you can "cut corners" and save a bit of money, especially if you are on a budget oriented swap; since there seems to be a lot of speculation on parts that are required vs recommended. I myself already made an excel spreadsheet of parts needed, where to get it and price.

Here is my Excel spreadsheet i made that lists out different parts, prices and sites.... Its not the end-all/be-all to the swap, just a lot of the parts i found that you may/will need.

View attachment Coyote swap.xlsx

If anyone has stuff to add or anything, go ahead. I'll post up more when i find it.

See less See more
#3 ·
The main reason a lot of people do the swap is because they don't want to sell their cars, they either have too much invested in them already or they are just too attached to it. I told myself i would never sell this car.

Besides, with a motor swap like that my car would weigh in the 3200s for weight, much much less than the S197, with the same power. And a bit lower center of gravity.

#10 ·
From what I've seen a single SVT Focus fuel pump will work, dual is a good idea though. Or even a return style system.

That site is good but they rape you on shipping charges and transaction fees.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

#19 · (Edited)
Just saw a rebuild candidate F150 Coyote with 80k miles for $1k in Texas that still runs but has low psi in #5. These are another good option for building because they are damn near identical to the Mustang Coyote. Truck intake cams, intake is different IIRC, 10.5:1 compression is a bit lower and that's really it.

IMO, you could easily take that $1k motor and put $2500-$3k into it and have a brand new Coyote with Boss upgrades if you wanted. OEM parts are dirt cheap at Tousley and some other dealers.

Maybe I'm talking out of my ass though. Like to see what ppl who have done teardowns/buildups on these things think it would cost using OEM parts to do a nice fresh budget Coyote on a rebuild candidate. I mean you could do the $1k boss rotating assembly if the bores check good and be good to 800whp. I am not familiar with how much the heads cost to refresh but assume that machine work on the block would be similar to any modular.

#20 ·
Well I have since decided to go another route. I realized a coyote swap wouldn't be the best way to go for a college student with very limited resources...... Not going to spoil anything yet since my new plan is already underway.

#21 ·
Sell the Buillitt and buy a $6-$8k F body? :)

I tallied up the cost of my car plus the cost of a Coyote swap and I would be in the $16k range and that is with selling my Teksid and motor and trans. That's a lot for a 98 2V but it would be done over a year or two and no car payments and $20/mo insurance. Something to think about for sure for anyone considering the swap plus cost of the car. I keep going back to getting a 2011 myself in a few years but time will tell. Not having a car payment to worry about is very nice.

#26 ·
Did you find a cheap Vortech?

#30 ·
I'll just specify what I'm getting....

Vortech V2 S trim, with a Procharger 3 core intercooler, a BOV and all the piping with injectors.... I'll need to upgrade the fuel pump though.

#40 ·
Well..... for kicks i'm reviving this thread. Seems like there has been more interest lately in it. Plus after i almost blew the stock motor at my track day its time to think about the "oh ****!" situation if it actually does go.

And with all the F150s and Mustangs in junkyards nowadays cost is coming down a lot.

#41 · (Edited)
Cost is coming down a bunch. I made a thread today about how much insurance in my state is for a Coyote and especially a GT500 lol... yeah... $500/mo for the car and then another $100-$225 tacked onto my current insurance. Hmmm... I paid $20/mo for the 98GT lol. Starting to think about a SN95 project again... or a real clean white 05-09 V6 to swap with a Coyote later on. There is no shortage of "real cheap to fix just needs a little work" lolzy cars on CL, just have to known how to spot a diamond in the rough.

I'd have to bone up on the 05-09 V6s (most likely an older one) and what all needs to get upgraded which I'm guessing is everything that isn't interior or body panels. Which is why the Coyote swap is so nice, its got its own standalone electronics.

Waiting for Ish and Rap to come in with LS1 Robert Baratheon style Warhammers swinging. That's another thing I've been looking at. 5.3/5.7 LSx swap into a Fox or 94/95 SN95 (to avoid OBD2 VIN check although I hear EfiLive can alter that) would be glorious too. Or into a E36 M3...

#42 ·
Late model restoration sells a ton of kits for this coyote swap majority of it all fits in with out issues only thing that's going to be a pain is actually fitting that huge motor in the engine bay. Master cylinder might hut valve cover , headers might not clear need to have tubular k member n and as far as wiring goes there's actually a lot of useless wires that can get clipped out I believe only 6 wires in the pack you need

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#43 ·
As far as expense goes this coyote swap isn't really that expensive. It all depends how far u want to go n what parts you want to use. Estimated costs Is 10-20 thousand dollars. My build is only costing me 15. This build is all straight forward to where I'm doing the swap in my driveway on jack stands

#44 ·
$15k including the cost of the car? Do you have all the parts and EVERYTHING already or is that just a budget on paper? Would like to see what it costs and how it runs when all is said and done and you have the final tune on it.

#47 ·
Motor I spent $6000 t56 6spd kit from modern drive line $3500 upr tubular k member kit 800$ shock strut kit 800$ that's the major expenses along with BBK long tube headers everything else is simple like fuel regulator peddle assemble bracket battery relocate kit n a few more little things n you basically have the swap finished

#48 ·
$15,000 plus the cost of your car you could have just bought a real nice 11/12 Coyote with low miles... but if that isn't what you wanted then it isn't what you wanted.

Also whatever you have on paper is going to be under what you finally spend, its always that way unfortunately.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.