Motor Build Advantages - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-16-2014, 07:16 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Motor Build Advantages

So here is my speal. I have heard of all the advantages of why you should sell your gt for a cobra or swap in the 4v dohc 4.6L. More valves equals more flow. The stock heads flow better than any 2valve head could hope for. The list goes on. But what are the advantages of building a 2 valve sohc 4.6L. There must be some or why else are all of the pro-NHRA 427ci motors all 2valve sohc motors. So just asking opinions here or personal experiences. I am all ears.

Sent from my SPH-L600 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
stangcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2014, 07:19 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Motor Build Advantages

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangcobra View Post
So here is my speal. I have heard of all the advantages of why you should sell your gt for a cobra or swap in the 4v dohc 4.6L. More valves equals more flow. The stock heads flow better than any 2valve head could hope for. The list goes on. But what are the advantages of building a 2 valve sohc 4.6L. There must be some or why else are all of the pro-NHRA 427ci motors all 2valve sohc motors. So just asking opinions here or personal experiences. I am all ears.

Those have a huge displacement compared to yours. Yea if you added 200ci to your displacement you will pick up power, but it's nowhere that easy with a 281ci (4.6). Keeping low displacement in a modular with 2 valves will only be a disappointment.

Those cars also have over 50k in their motors alone.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:40 PM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
They also have to abide by class rules which restrict what type of motors/suspension/chassis etc... I mean hell, NASCAR motors are dinosaurs but they run them because that is what NASCAR says they have to run. If they were simply limited by displacement you'd see crazy OHC, variable valve timed tech crazy motors.

There are some very big power 2Vs out there too, think 900+ with the TFS heads but the parts are so expensive its not cost effective at all IMO. Just a set of TFS heads and cams alone for a 2V cost more than a whole Coyote pullout or an entire LSx/Trans combo.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2014, 09:47 PM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Coyote swap is where it's at nowadays.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:15 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I was told a 2valve is cheapest to build when doing a sc build compared to its brothers and sisters including the coyote. Is this now wrong or?

Old 09-17-2014, 08:25 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
I was told a 2valve is cheapest to build when doing a sc build compared to its brothers and sisters including the coyote. Is this now wrong or?

If you are talking sc's on each motor, the. Yeah most likely. You have the 2v already and don't need to drop 3k on it to start off with. They are probably similar after that though. Except the coyote will rape the 2v. But 3k extra to get it started. Plus the swap is a little harder.

Yes I edit my posts a lot, auto correct likes to sabotage me!

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:01 AM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:

TFS heads and cams alone for a modular are $3300. Ported PI heads and cams will be $2200-$2500. Coyote pullout is $2800-$3500 shipped if you look. Yes you need another $3-$4k worth of swap stuff. Factor in forged internals, intake and a power adder for the modular and you are $thousands more into the 2V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
If you are talking sc's on each motor, the. Yeah most likely. You have the 2v already and don't need to drop 3k on it to start off with. They are probably similar after that though. Except the coyote will rape the 2v. But 3k extra to get it started. Plus the swap is a little harder.

Yes I edit my posts a lot, auto correct likes to sabotage me!
2V is way more expensive to build than the Coyote. Yes I have not personally done it. interwebz research ftw. However, I have seen enough completed swaps to know how much they cost. The only possible way I can see a modular being competetive cost wise is to find a $200 set of Continental C heads and get a valve job/new springs and have them totally done for $1k and use OEM 4V cams. And you still need a power adder.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:32 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Ya im seeing the advantages moreso of the 4v motors compared to the 2valve.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT