Power Locks not functioning, need help. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-16-2014, 08:51 PM   #1

Region: Texas
Power Locks not functioning, need help.

New member here.

My car is a 2001 GT Mustang.

The previous owner installed a Cobra Alarm System and spliced into a bunch of wires and nicked a few.

Both doors LOCK fine with the door switch but don't unlock, and the Cobra FOB keyless controller locks them when it arms but doesnt unlock when it disarms.

I purchased a Ford Keyless FOB and after it programmed it will unlock the truck, but will not lock or unlock.

I hear some sort of really clicking near the fuse box under the steering wheel when both remotes are trying to lock/unlock the doors.

Ive checked fuses and disconnected the battery and touch the leads together. Ive replaced the lock actuator with a new one and it responds exactly the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2014, 10:19 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I think that I would start by removing the aftermarket alarm system and getting the wiring squared away... Back to stock.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 02:51 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
Unhappy

I am having the same exact problem on the same year/model car. Just before I purchased the car, the owner said both doors stopped unlock/locking. I hear the fuse box clicking when I push the button, both in the door & FOB.

There is no aftermarket alarm/entry installed. I have hesitated on taking the doors apart. Supposedly the prev owners husband took the door apart to look for loose/bad wires, but it is perplexing that BOTH doors went out at exactly the same time.

I don't want to just throw money at it and buy new actuators, and don't want to take the door apart and hit the locks with carb cleaner if I don't need to.
AFcompo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2014, 04:00 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFcompo View Post

I have hesitated on taking the doors apart.

and don't want to take the door apart
Well the only thing I can say is "The locks are not going to fix themselves! So I guess you may have to take the door panels off to see what is wrong. But is you are really firm on not taking the door panels off, then you can leave the locks as they are. And maybe wait till someone comes along and jacks your stereo, etc, etc, etc and then maybe you will change your mind on taking the panels off to inspect them.

2015 Race Red Performance Package GT 5.0 (435hp) stock
Still in the making Updates coming soon!
99_GRUMPY_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 04:32 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_GRUMPY_GT View Post
Well the only thing I can say is "The locks are not going to fix themselves! So I guess you may have to take the door panels off to see what is wrong. But is you are really firm on not taking the door panels off, then you can leave the locks as they are. And maybe wait till someone comes along and jacks your stereo, etc, etc, etc and then maybe you will change your mind on taking the panels off to inspect them.
I know that you are right. I was just waiting, hoping, that someone had a similar situation with something to look for before I just take it apart and look at it. I'm not incompetent, so I can take it apart and put it back, but I just lack certain knowledge.

I guess I will just take it apart! Thank you for the kick!
AFcompo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:40 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
You really need to dig in to it. I think the panels on these cars come off so easily it's definitely worth having a look. The actuators are common and easy. I've done both doors on my car.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
surfinglbi23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:21 PM   #7

Region: Texas
I havent really had a chance to work on it in a while but early this morning I did look under the dash on the driver side.

Right behind the fuse panel there is the module that controls the locks from what I understand.

I see the Cobra alarm module right next to it. There is a large multi pin connector that looks like it was disconnected from the stock control module and plugged into the Cobra module, then an identical connector is coming out of the Cobra module and is connected back into the stock module.

The stock keyless remote will trigger the lights, horn, and relays but not the actuators.

If I have time after work I will take a good look at the modules and remove the Cobra module and see if that fixes the issue.

All nicked wires have been repaired.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT