Emissions Testing - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-18-2014, 07:36 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Emissions Testing

Hey guys just joined so hope I'm posting right but anyways I did some longtubes over the winter but was having some problems with the egr flow tube connecting to the egr tube on my headers so I decided to ditch the egr system all together. I recently went through emissions testing (OBD ONLY) and failed for no egr flow and a not ready monitor for rear o2s (catless and tuned) so my question is does anyone know if I just throw on my EGR system without hooking up the tube to my headers would that at least provide "flow" so I can pass. I'm allowed up to 1 monitor failing so I rather not have to drop money on cats if I don't have to.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Yellastang03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2014, 07:41 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Not sure how poorly your car would run, if you did this, but You can flash the car back to stock, Thrown on some MIL eliminators, and probably pass the O2 test, while only failing the EGR. That's also an option. I can't tell you anything about the EGR system as i've never messed around with it.

PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:00 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Are you running the EGR delete kit or did you just take it out and are having CEL on? If you only install the EGR and not hook it up then you are not accomplishing anything at all. Why were you having difficulties hooking EGR up to the new headers anyway?

2015 Race Red Performance Package GT 5.0 (435hp) stock
Still in the making Updates coming soon!
99_GRUMPY_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2014, 10:34 AM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
You have to either run the full EGR hookup or tune the computer to have it turned off. You honestly should be failing visually for no cats and they technically could impound your car and some states even have crush laws so you have to watch that too.

Not sure what issues you are having hooking the EGR up to the headers. If you did MACs it should bolt right up. The flow tube spins around on the EGR itself, it might be stuck in one spot from crud/corrosion but if you have MAC headers you just turn it 180 and it'll go right on.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 04:41 PM   #5
WJL
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
What State can crush your car for not passing emissions? I have to tell you that sounds a little far fetched. I could see them failing the inspection and not providing a sticker but taking possession of your car and crushing it.
WJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:00 PM   #6
WJL
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I just had to respond again, after doing some research, most if not all States have a cost based wavier. This being the case there is no way a State can take and crush your car based on it not passing an emission test.

Be careful not to confuse this with imports that don't meet safety or emissions standards, that's a federal law and is completely different than State Emissions
WJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:09 PM   #7
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
It's not the fact of passing emissions. It's the fact that removing the catalytic converters is a federal crime.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 05:36 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Hey guys sorry for the late response but anyways as far as being catless goes I'm in illinois so it's just obd testing so no visual or sniffer test. The problem I ran into with the flow tubes meeting up was that the pacesetter headers had a female thread and so did the egr flow tube. I was replacing the bbk LTs it already had (rusted out) and the BBKs had a male thread. After already spending 2 full days doing the headers I just said to hell with it and plugged off the flow tube on my header and took off all egr components and bought a EGR block off plate.And as far as having the egr system turned off in my tune that is as well as my rear o2s. Which brings me to have 2 not ready monitors which is 1 too many to pass. So I guess my question is could I throw on all my egr components without hooking up the flow tube to headers (so no exhaust recirculating just outside air) and then have bama turn back on my egr system?

Yellastang03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:43 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellastang03 View Post
So I guess my question is could I throw on all my egr components without hooking up the flow tube to headers (so no exhaust recirculating just outside air) and then have bama turn back on my egr system?

We answered your question before about this. You can not just throw on your EGR and not have it totally hooked up properly and expect it to work and not pass OBD.

2015 Race Red Performance Package GT 5.0 (435hp) stock
Still in the making Updates coming soon!
99_GRUMPY_GT is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT