98 cobra - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-20-2014, 07:13 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
98 cobra

I don't know what spot to put this in but was wondering if I were to trade my built fox for a pretty much stock( besides exhaust and gears)98 cobra would it be a good deal?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Shifty 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2014, 07:28 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
How built? Exact details of mods plz
Judge_dredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:38 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Has 50/50 Lakewood drag shocks
Ford racing 4.10 gear kit
4 lug 17" black cobra rims with 275 NT05's on the back
255 LPH fuel pump
24 # injectors
Stage 1 clutch with short throw shifter
GT40 upper and lower intake
CAI with 76mm mass air meter calibrated for the injectors
Under drive pulleys
BAMA tune
3 row aluminum radiator
All new hoses
Trick flow aluminum heads with TRICKFLOW hardened pushrods
Ford racing lifters
1.7 roller rockers
E-303 cam
NGK iridium plugs with ford racing wires and MSD coil
A/C delete along with smog pump delete
BBK shorty headers to H pipe to flowmaster 40 dumps
And exterior work

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2014, 07:45 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I would say HELL NO. Stay with what you got.

2015 Race Red Performance Package GT 5.0 (435hp) stock
Still in the making Updates coming soon!
99_GRUMPY_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:10 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I was just seeing and also I'm stuck in a decision. How much do you think I could sell the fox for? I've been looking at 2014 V-6's and 5.0's and they are just extremely nice and I'm even interested in the new V-6 and the turbo mustang. I don't know if I want to sell my 2003 and 89 and get a new one or just keep them or trade them off for older Mustangs

Old 09-20-2014, 08:57 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
What you have is going to be a better performer than a 98 Cobra. I'd stick with what you have and work on getting into a Coyote or even swap in a Coyote if you just want the power.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:11 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I say the 98 cobra. Is it in good condition? I'd so I would in a heart beat.
Only way to own a fox is with a bow tie under the hood.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:16 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

The 98 is black and clean with 104k miles on it. And if I do a coyote I'm just going to get the whole new mustang with one already in it.

Old 09-20-2014, 09:19 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I say build the 4.6 for boost and drive it for what it is lol
Old 09-20-2014, 09:24 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

4.6 builds are expensive lol I just don't want to trade my car for something that ima have to fix all these little things to make it right. That's why I'm sort of leaning towards selling my 2 mustangs and getting a fresh one but it's a tough decision... Those Cobras come with 305 horse stock

Old 09-20-2014, 09:51 PM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

If you can, and you can be comfortable affording it, sell both your cars and pick up a 2011 or 2012 base GT for $22k. Every time I run the costs of a swap and the time and asspain involved in doing it, I keep going back to just buying a 2011 or 2012 automatic Coyote and then selling my 98 for mod money.

Built modulars can be nasty but they require an awful lot of boost to keep up. A basic bolt on Coyote with a tune is going to put down 400+ easy. Closer to 450 probably.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:56 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

2011-14 V6 mustangs have the same horsepower as a 98 cobra.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:00 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

If it were me I would hang on to your nice foxbody. And trade the others in on a new stang if that is what you want, or sell outright the others. I myself love foxbodies. I know they are a dime a dozen, but in great shape as yours, not too many to be had.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rapinator126 - I say the 98 cobra. Is it in good condition? I'd so I would in a heart beat. Only way to own a fox is with a bow tie under the hood.
I have no idea where you are going with this as a bowtie has no place in a Ford Mustang. All GM/Chevy products suck.

All this and it really boils down to your preference. New vs old, money spent on a new no parts needed car vs buying old/used that you have no idea what side is up when all said and done. But, your foxbody is built by you, you know it front and back, and if you are like I, would miss it in a short time and probably would regret getting rid of it sooner than you think.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:07 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah it's in really great shape. I was thinking in the long run it would just keep becoming worth more money especially it being a coupe which is what most people want

Old 09-20-2014, 10:13 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_GRUMPY_GT View Post
I

I have no idea where you are going with this as a bowtie has no place in a Ford Mustang. All GM/Chevy products suck.

Lmfao. Famous words of every slow car.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:14 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

That's a real big comment to live up to bud.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:18 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If it were me I would hang on to your nice foxbody. And trade the others in on a new stang if that is what you want, or sell outright the others. I myself love foxbodies. I know they are a dime a dozen, but in great shape as yours, not too many to be had.

All this and it really boils down to your preference. New vs old, money spent on a new no parts needed car vs buying old/used that you have no idea what side is up when all said and done. But, your foxbody is built by you, you know it front and back, and if you are like I, would miss it in a short time and probably would regret getting rid of it sooner than you think.

Lmfao my lt1 will blow the doors off of that 4.6 without breaking a sweat. You don't even wanna know the hurting an ls1 will put on ya.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:20 PM   #18
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Yea i'm not too sure about that..................
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10374109_10201488925465188_5005761885138050420_n.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	166573  

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 12:56 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Chevy/ Ford, they all have their strong points and great cars. I never understood the hate for one or the other, but Maybe That's just me?

I would keep your fox and sell your other mustang, save up or finance the coyote. Best of both world's. You're in an envious position!

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 02:27 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve96 View Post
Chevy/ Ford, they all have their strong points and great cars. I never understood the hate for one or the other, but Maybe That's just me?

I would keep your fox and sell your other mustang, save up or finance the coyote. Best of both world's. You're in an envious position!

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
I'm curious as to what strong point Ford has?

Until the Coyote 5.0, Fords have been under-performing for 30+ years. Even the Coyote IMO is extremely under-performing for a new V8. It makes the same or less power than an LS1 from 1997 until 5,000 rpm, stock for stock. Even my ancient 99 Z28 with less than $1,500 in it makes a good bit more power than a full bolt on / tune Coyote.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:25 AM   #21
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
I'm curious as to what strong point Ford has?

Until the Coyote 5.0, Fords have been under-performing for 30+ years. Even the Coyote IMO is extremely under-performing for a new V8. It makes the same or less power than an LS1 from 1997 until 5,000 rpm, stock for stock. Even my ancient 99 Z28 with less than $1,500 in it makes a good bit more power than a full bolt on / tune Coyote.

I think we can let the bailouts and recalls speak for themselves.............

Didn't the new C7 just get a recall also?

Bullitts are better than Bullets

HID end all thread
Old 09-21-2014, 03:39 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
I think we can let the bailouts and recalls speak for themselves.............

Didn't the new C7 just get a recall also?

Lol that's all ford people have to say as a comeback ever hahaha.

I hope you all realize there's some sort of recalled thing on your cars. Something's just are as public as others
Old 09-21-2014, 03:47 AM   #23
ME Bloodhound
Staff

98 cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge_dredd View Post
Lol that's all ford people have to say as a comeback ever hahaha.

I hope you all realize there's some sort of recalled thing on your cars. Something's just are as public as others

The reason everyone says that is because it's true. I don't deny that they make some fast cars. But they have way too many issues in the process. And no I'm not biased to one, I've had a taste of both. Btw car on the left has under 45k miles and had ignition issues already. Add 100k to that and the car on the right has only had the fan go out recently.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1411289197.407848.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	166585

HID end all thread
Old 09-21-2014, 09:43 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The reason everyone says that is because it's true. I don't deny that they make some fast cars. But they have way too many issues in the process. And no I'm not biased to one, I've had a taste of both. Btw car on the left has under 45k miles and had ignition issues already. Add 100k to that and the car on the right has only had the fan go out recently.

Attachment 166585

Nooo... The reason people say that is because they have no better comebacks than a damn bailout lol
Old 09-21-2014, 09:53 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge_dredd View Post
Lmfao my lt1 will blow the doors off of that 4.6 without breaking a sweat. You don't even wanna know the hurting an ls1 will put on ya.
Really, this is the best you can come up with? Jeez and I thought todays education system was better equipped than this. Grow up and understand that everyone has an opinion, and if you got that butt-hurt over me saying GM sucks, you really need to re-evaluate your ability to be a productive member of an open forum.

Quote:
Originally posted by Judge_dredd - Nooo... The reason people say that is because they have no better comebacks than a damn bailout lol
Do we really care what you think? Honestly, if you are sooo in love with your LT1, go outside, and give it a hug for us, it may make you feel alittle better. There might be a GM website out in the cyper world that would be better suited for you than here.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:56 AM   #26
Staff
Regular
Staff

Well when your company fails to the tune of $40bn... and then the gov't sells back the GM "stock" they owned at a loss and the taxpayers get stuck eating it... I think that is a valid point.

However, I still think it was necessary seeing as if GM and Chrysler and AIG and the rest had all gone under at once, we'd all have been ****ed.

Regardless, I still price out LSx swaps from time to time. Seems like its $2-$3k less than the Coyote, especially if one uses a 4.8 or 5.3 variety with plans to go boost later. L33 is a super light all aluminum 5.3 that does 375 with a cam swap/bolt ons and IIRC ppl on forums are claiming to spin the stock internals to 800+ with power adders with just upgraded rod bolts.

I think the LSx gets better gas mileage than the Coyote as well.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:05 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Attachment 166585

Nice color though on the vette. Vettes are nice, do not get me wrong but I would not own one. I have had one in the past and thought is was fast, to repair one is relatively the same cost of a second child. I am not too proud to say one has a nice car be it other than Ford, one takes great appreciation for another mans work or pride in a certain car. Hell when I was 15 I purchased a 1972 AMC Gremlin X with a 304 V8 and torque flight tranny. I loved that car, fast and light wt, and used to out run camaros and the like. But others thought it to be ugly and better looking going backwards. But I still rec'd the nodd of appreciation for speed by the opponent in the end. And I would most likely if given the opportunity to have one again say hell yes. Why not relive a childhood passion once again, since it was an enjoyable one.

All manufacturers have their performance minded cars in their line-up. Does not mean that everyone will like each and everyone of them. Chevy has their Vette, Dodge has their Viper, Ford has their Shelby's, etc,etc. But one's taste is just that, preference. And preference is not subject to one's hp, but that of many other things. I just prefer a Ford over any other manufacturer.

That is why we can all enjoy the passion for automobiles in an open forum and be good with it regardless of taste and preference.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:10 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Well when your company fails to the tune of $40bn... and then the gov't sells back the GM "stock" they owned at a loss and the taxpayers get stuck eating it... I think that is a valid point.

Ain't that the truth, but the bailout had nothing to do with my saying they sucked, well maybe. Jeez, make up your mind will you. I'm soooo confused now, talking to myself never works, wheres my meds

Old 09-21-2014, 10:12 AM   #29
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty 5.0 View Post
Has 50/50 Lakewood drag shocks
Ford racing 4.10 gear kit
4 lug 17" black cobra rims with 275 NT05's on the back
255 LPH fuel pump
24 # injectors
Stage 1 clutch with short throw shifter
GT40 upper and lower intake
CAI with 76mm mass air meter calibrated for the injectors
Under drive pulleys
BAMA tune
3 row aluminum radiator
All new hoses
Trick flow aluminum heads with TRICKFLOW hardened pushrods
Ford racing lifters
1.7 roller rockers
E-303 cam
NGK iridium plugs with ford racing wires and MSD coil
A/C delete along with smog pump delete
BBK shorty headers to H pipe to flowmaster 40 dumps
And exterior work

You say it has a Bama tune. Is it engine swapped? Bama doesn't tune small block 302's. Or were you referring to the 98 Cobra?

Sent from my iPhone 5s with iOS 8.0, but I can't really tell the difference, so it could be iOS 7.0 :dunno:
Old 09-21-2014, 10:16 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
You say it has a Bama tune. Is it engine swapped? Bama doesn't tune small block 302's. Or were you referring to the 98 Cobra?
Bama SCT 4-Bank Mustang Eliminator Chip w/ 3 Free Custom Tunes 6600 (87-93 5.0L) - Free Shipping

Old 09-21-2014, 10:19 AM   #31
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Wow, this must be new. Though, I can't image there's that much options to change.

Sent from my iPhone 5s with iOS 8.0, but I can't really tell the difference, so it could be iOS 7.0 :dunno:
Old 09-21-2014, 10:24 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Really, this is the best you can come up with? Jeez and I thought todays education system was better equipped than this. Grow up and understand that everyone has an opinion, and if you got that butt-hurt over me saying GM sucks, you really need to re-evaluate your ability to be a productive member of an open forum.

Do we really care what you think? Honestly, if you are sooo in love with your LT1, go outside, and give it a hug for us, it may make you feel alittle better. There might be a GM website out in the cyper world that would be better suited for you than here.

Haha trust me I do hug it..

Prolly not as much as you hug your 2v cobra though
Old 09-21-2014, 11:12 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I was going to say it's a 306 with the Bama tune off of latemodel

Old 09-21-2014, 07:35 PM   #34
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty 5.0 View Post
Yeah I was going to say it's a 306 with the Bama tune off of latemodel

Lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT