Lug nut removal help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-25-2014, 08:56 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Lug nut removal help

So i changed out my lug nuts and the key for the lug nut broke on the last wheel. I attached a picture of what the lug nut looks like.
Any ideas on how to remove it?
robin_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2014, 09:30 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Had the same problem awhile back but on a different car. The tire shop just took socket and pounded it on to the lug nut. Impact wrench took it right off. Trashed the locking lug nuts and replaced the whole set.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:13 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Most shops have a wheel lock removal tool i know i have one and i work at goodyear ( i bought it myself tho ) but usually one of the techs will have it i dunno if they will charge or not we usually dont

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
thyreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2014, 10:41 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Buy a new key. It isn't like some crazy rare thing to get one. They also do not prevent theft, any thief is going to have a stash of wrenches or you can just pound a socket over it and spin it off as was already mentioned.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:47 PM   #5
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Buy a new key. It isn't like some crazy rare thing to get one. They also do not prevent theft, any thief is going to have a stash of wrenches or you can just pound a socket over it and spin it off as was already mentioned.

Be like me and have all 20 of them locking. Have fun pounding that many off

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 11:02 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post

Haha, +1. All my lugs need a key.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 11:38 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post

If they're the universal splined one then they don't really prevent much theft. Almost every tech in my shop has one floating around and you can buy them from tire ahops
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 03:04 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

His isnt a universal and pounding a socket on it dont always work as a matter of fact the kind he has in the picture i bet it wont work at all because theres nothing for the socket to grab onto ( ive been through this wayyyy to many times) sometimes if they are the factory ones you can get a new key from the factory but if not just take it to a good shop in your area they should be able to get it off ( the wheel lock removal tool reverse threads itself onto the wheel lock and pulls it off and most of the time u need a impact wrench for it to work good enough that your not fighting it )

Old 09-26-2014, 03:37 AM   #9
Admin

Supporter
Admin

The pouch that held the "keyed" socket should have the code you need to order a replacement one.

As to theft, nothing is perfect, but the general idea is to make it a slight bit difficult for the thief, in hopes that they move off to an easier target.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:38 AM   #10
Admin

Supporter
Admin

The pouch that held the "keyed" socket should have the code you need to order a replacement one.

As to theft, nothing is perfect, but the general idea is to make it a slight bit difficult for the thief, in hopes that they move off to an easier target.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:41 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
You can use a socket on that key. Done been through this. Got new tires and the guy didn't put the key back in my car so when I went go trade rims i had to break off the lug nut key with a socket.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
XSlashDashX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 03:46 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Not sayin it cant be done but he said he broke his key off which means the locks are uber tight so if he goes that route good luck theres a much easier route as i mentioned

Old 09-26-2014, 05:57 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
You can buy one of the reverse threaded lug nut removal tools from auto zone, i had to do this as well and that tool worked perfectly fine i think it was like 6$. It looks like a socket with threads inside of it. It will ruin your lug nut though as long as you're ok with that.
jasondanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 06:05 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Lug nut removal help

Yup not expensive at all, just get the right size one lol mine i got it off the snapon truck so i got it in a kit but its a bit more expensive that way, if you dont want to ruin your locks then the best thing to do is to go get a new key from the dealer take ur original one thats broke with you and the pouch it was in so you will have the #s, my question tho is why where they so tight to break ur key? and none of the lugs should be over the manufacture's torque specs ( for cars its usually 80-115 ft lbs )

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT