stolen parts - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-27-2014, 01:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
stolen parts

So guys I finished what I could on my build in February this year. In march I took it to rwr in Denver to do some button up stuff thinking I was deploying in march so I just let them finish the car since they had started on it while I waited to deploy. Well I found out last Thursday the original owner and his investor had some falling outs and resulted in the original owner being fired and investor closed shop up for good few days later. My car was pretty much done like 98% they were only suppose to wire up pumps, gages, rerun fuel lines, tune the car and inspect over the overall car. They said the last time I talked to them that they suspected the valves were tapping and that was it. Went and got the car last Friday and get there and the car is missing over $6000 worth of stuff, blower timing cover, valve cover, various other items. I can't report the car stolen and recovered through the insurance company since I found the car. Can't report stolen property to them either until I have a lawsuit or police report. Police wont file a report or arrest the only guy with keys to the shop for theft who is supposed to meet the remaining customers to get there stuff. He wont answer or return calls and lies to you. Was supposed to meet me last week but said he left right before I got there and I was there 5minutes before he supposedly left caught him in a lie from a shop owner in the office next to the shop saying he hadn't seen him in weeks let alone that time frame of the day. So heres my dilemma what should I do? I don't think a lawsuit will work since both owners are trying to sue each other for the loss of several hundred thousands of dollars.
1999 Cobra black with medium parchment interiorJLT CAI, RWR motorsports tune, Pacesetter Longtubes, o/r xpipe w/cutouts, Flowmaster Super 44s, built t56, Kevlar clutch, Nitto NT05R, Ford Racing 4.10 gears, MMR 900 rotating assembly, vortech v3 si, twin aeromotive 340s, aeroquip lines, 80lbs injectors
Black99Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2014, 04:45 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Documentation is your friend. Did you take pictures before dropping it off or have any receipts for the parts on the vehicle. A similar incident happened to my dad's '72 442 and he ended up being SOL. Hopefully you can talk to the police and show them all your documents and any agreements between you.

2014 5.OHHHHHH
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 08:50 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black99Snake View Post
I can't report the car stolen and recovered through the insurance company since I found the car. Can't report stolen property to them either until I have a lawsuit or police report. Police wont file a report or arrest the only guy with keys to the shop for theft who is supposed to meet the remaining customers to get there stuff.
I do not understand your issue you state. If you have items missing, and the place you dropped off the car to was a legit company, then you do not file against one person, you file against the company.

If the car was left in the hands of the company to perform repairs, and you showed up at siad business and the car was not in the condition it was in when you dropped it off, then once again you file a complaint against the company.

Just because a company closes their doors to any further business does not mean there is not a company remaining. Apparently based on what you said there is an investor that closed the door. So be it, the company still is an active company license to operate by state law until the company is dissolved by the licensing dept of the state. So there is ppl still responsible for said company.

Now, the issue you are going to have is that the burden of proof falls on you concerning what was stolen or is missing. The parts may just be in the building in a dialogged orientation from business doing repairs at time of closing. Or they may actually be missing. It is hard to tell either.

But you are the person responsible to file a report with the police department. The PD will file a report upon your request, regardless of where it goes legally from there. But that is a start of legal process. And the more time goes by without you filing is going to work against you. So if it were me, I would go file now.

Insurance companies are the thieves of all thieves when it comes to filing a claim and expecting the ins company to do there part and cover said claim. But. if the ins company does go forward, they are going to contact the company, not a person. Once again it comes down to you having proof of those items ever existed in the first place.

2015 Race Red Performance Package GT 5.0 (435hp) stock
Still in the making Updates coming soon!
99_GRUMPY_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2014, 08:58 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Where were you having the work done? Is it a reputable company or just some random joe's shop. The police aren't going to do anything for you, you would most likely have to sue the company or business owner.
TurboCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 09:17 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I am not talking about the police doing anything for him, but if he requests a police report based on his allegations, they will do that. That police report is very important when it comes to matters of this nature. The PD does not have to follow up or investigate the situation, just have them do a report of your claim. Then get a copy of the report and use it as a tool with the ins co, or lawyer, or small claims.

2015 Race Red Performance Package GT 5.0 (435hp) stock
Still in the making Updates coming soon!
99_GRUMPY_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:56 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
If you have comprehensive insurance coverage, contact your insurance company and explain to them what happened. If they want you to get a police report, just go to the police station that is closest to this "shop" and file the report yourself.
If you do NOT have "full coverage insurance, gather up every single scrap of documentation that you have (Estimate, work order, etc) and go to the courthouse in the county where this occurred and file a small claims case against the owners of this shop for the fair market value of the missing parts.
Don't drag your feet on this! The longer that you wait, the more difficult that it will be to receive your parts back or to get compensated for the lost parts.

What a pain in the ***!
Sorry this happened to you...
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 11:25 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I think this is going to be a slow, drawn out, painful process. Expect the worst, hope for better. This is just plain wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 02:59 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboCobra View Post
Where were you having the work done? Is it a reputable company or just some random joe's shop. The police aren't going to do anything for you, you would most likely have to sue the company or business owner.
They were one of the bigger name Mustang shops in Colorado.

OP after hearing their name tossed around by a lot of local guys I'll admit I'm quite surprised that this is happening to you. Good luck getting your stuff back and definitely keep us updated
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 05:09 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Go to the town or county offices and find out how the business was registered.
If it was a sole proprietorship you *might* be able to attach the owner's personal assets.
I am not a lawyer but I do know that much having had to do a similar thing to a builder.
It was a long process but we settled out of court.
vert03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 06:19 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

yeah I was going to say to put a commercial lean against them.
TurboCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 06:40 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not a lawyer either, but I believe secured creditors are taken care of first and if anything is left it goes to unsecured creditors. Not sure where customers fit it.

Old 09-27-2014, 08:48 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

They local pd has a case on my issue. I was supposedly told today I could meet the guy Monday to get the parts.
1999 Cobra black with medium parchment interiorJLT CAI, RWR motorsports tune, Pacesetter Longtubes, o/r xpipe w/cutouts, Flowmaster Super 44s, built t56, Kevlar clutch, Nitto NT05R, Ford Racing 4.10 gears, MMR 900 rotating assembly, vortech v3 si, twin aeromotive 340s, aeroquip lines, 80lbs injectors
Black99Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:07 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black99Snake View Post
They local pd has a case on my issue. I was supposedly told today I could meet the guy Monday to get the parts.

Make sure you get everything and there is no damage, although you don't need us to tell you that. Hopefully everything that was missing is easy enough to tell it is alright without actually trying to use it first. That will take you a little time to find out.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT