Low boost and DFMU or just get Cobra? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-29-2014, 07:27 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Low boost and DFMU or just get Cobra?

Hello, Im brand new here, so i'm going to ask about going down the route of running a small turbo at low boost on a new edge mustang. Basically, Im going to buy a mustang within the next few weeks and I am having trouble choosing between a New Edge GT or getting an SN95 Cobra. The new edge looks sexy, but is slightly slower than a Cobra. If I can make the New Edge GT make about 300 rwhp for cheap, then I'm going to get a new edge. My idea is to rear mount a small turbo, mount an intercooler&piping, and run a Digital Fuel Management Unit instead of a new ECU&tune and run like 5 or 6psi. I like the theory of how the digital fuel management unit works over the regular FMU. Has anybody on here tried this? How much of a time bomb would I have with no tune?
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2014, 07:41 PM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
With no tune? Try one or two WOT pulls and bye bye to your internals. I have 0 idea why ppl try to spend all the $$$ for a power adder or build and not get a tune.

Either motor will max out at 425 or therabouts with a turbo and both will have no problem getting there. If you are going to go with a turbo, get the car you like better. Look at the On3 turbo kits if you are interested in going that route.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:11 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Do you have more info on FMUs and DFMUs that will make it easier to understand why they aren't a viable alternative?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2014, 08:20 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yes and tune > FMU, there is no comparison. Plus a legit tune will allow you to be dialed in consistently throughout the powerband.

A dyno tune or a datalogged remote tune is $600 and you are good to go right away.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:00 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Oh thank you. Any recommendations on what company to use for that? Id imagine there are a few good bang for your buck options. Considering the digital FMU was $500 alone, it makes a lot more sense to just get a tune and some bigger injectors.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:42 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
blah calculate how much your going to spend on the car + the turbo kit and then go buy a better car. I Have a single turbo cobra and my turbo sounds like its ****ed and barely builds boost so it sits as replacing the turbo isn't worth it to me and I have no idea what I am looking at hah. At least with a NA car most common issues your going to run into are not going to cost you thousands to repair.
TurboCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:51 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I can see where you're coming from. I had a factory turboed Volvo s60t5 at one point. That thing was built from factory with a turbo and was still a hot mess! I'll probably wind up messing around with turbos , but more as an experiment. I might try my DFMU shortcut on my grand marquis with a rigged up rear mounted turbo. I plan to have fun with that car because its not possible to sell for any real money. Id like to just learn how to wrench better and that's the perfect car for it. V8 and rwd so its possible to make it fun, the car isn't worth anything to sell, its already ugly so who cares if I hit a wall with it. Plus, if my plan works ill just have a 300rwhp grand marquis. Then it will blow up after a month. And then I will sell the 4300lbs of scrap for more than the car bluebooks for right now lol
Old 10-04-2014, 06:27 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Lol, just take scotty's advice and dont fi a car without a tune even if u do the grand marquis and blow it to smithereens shrapnel from the motor liable to get into the turbo then u wasted $ on the turbo that u could of put into ur new edge, if u got the $ and dont care then go for it but i cant afford to throw away money😣

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
thyreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:28 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

What is your budget? That will help with deciding what you want to get.

Old 10-05-2014, 10:53 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
What is your budget? That will help with deciding what you want to get.

My budget to turbo would be $1500, so at best Id be looking at getting a used turbo, rear mounting it, getting injectors, and then tuning it. Possibly a new fuel pump. I graduate college in the spring of 2016 so my mustang has to last me until I get a real job.. and can afford a used GT500 or something lol (The Dream anyway)
Old 10-05-2014, 11:07 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Im looking to spend around $6,000 on the car to start with. Maybe I should just get a 75 shot wet kit and only spray it when theres a car I really really don't want to get beat by.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:32 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

1500 for fi is alil low your only hope is to go the route i did and get a vortech unit and peice it together, turbos are alot more expensive and i wouldnt go with a substandard turbo too many horror stories and even with a cheapo turbo all the stuff u have to do to make it work will cost alot more then 1500 so might as well save ur pennies and get a good turbo. Just my .02

Old 10-06-2014, 09:40 AM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
My budget to turbo would be $1500, so at best Id be looking at getting a used turbo, rear mounting it, getting injectors, and then tuning it. Possibly a new fuel pump. I graduate college in the spring of 2016 so my mustang has to last me until I get a real job.. and can afford a used GT500 or something lol (The Dream anyway)
Then leave what you have bone stock and drive it. If you haven't bought one yet, buy a good beater car and drive THAT until you graduate, get a job and can afford something nicer. Been there, done that, all your money going to your car while you don't have much of an income is ****ing terrible. Friends want to go out and have a good time on the weekend "no, I can't, I just bought exhaust" or you meet a real nice girl and you can't afford to go out with her because XYZ is apart on your car or whatever.

I just saw a 2002 Accord V6 with like 27k miles for $6500 or so on autotrader. That will last you for 10 years with proper maintenance and get good mileage. Then you can get something super nice when you graduate.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:48 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Rear mount is going to be Junk, on your car, and will cost you alot more than 1500 to custom fab it

Get the on3 kit. Be done with it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:34 AM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Rear mount is going to be Junk, on your car, and will cost you alot more than 1500 to custom fab it

Get the on3 kit. Be done with it

Which is $2k, plus you need a UPR K or another compatible tubular one, plus injectors, plus fuel, plus tune.

Then once that is all said and done, if you have a tuned On3 2V making 425 to the wheels on stock suspension/wheels/tires, have fun when you get demolished by cars making less than 300 with suspension work. Factor in another $1500-$2k for basic suspension and a good wheel/tire setup.

With his budget of $6k I still say he should get a good reliable driver and be done with it. Then get a Coyote when he gets a good job, do a few basic mods like control arms/tires/tune and run 11s.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:51 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

300rwhp can be achieved without a turbo or blower, a decent set of cams, some basic boltons cab get u there, anything beyond that tho forced induction is the best way for 300+

---------- Post added at 03:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------

300rwhp can be achieved without a turbo or blower, a decent set of cams, some basic boltons can get u there, anything beyond that tho forced induction is the best way for 300+

Old 10-06-2014, 11:22 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

And scotty is right with no suspension work and a good set of tires out back the only time ull get to enjoy the 400+ whp is in 4th gear when ur already going 60+ mph so whats the point? Now if u just buy the new edge and just drive it untill u graduate then come up with a plan of action of turbo or whatever and atleast ull have a good platform to start modding with if u wanted to keep it who knows maybe ull like the new edge more then the gt500 and for the price u spend on the gt500 u can drop in a coyote motor in the new edge fully build ur suspension drop a blower in it and smoke most of the street cars ull encounter for not even half of the price of that gt500 as long as u know how to turn a wrench u can save urself money

Old 10-06-2014, 01:29 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I think I better just get a new edge and call it good for a while. I think I can get a reliable new edge for $6000. Im not going to be making payments on it and I work a lot (at an auto parts store). I had an underpowered econobox before (Toyota). Every drive was miserable and I could barely even beat v6 stangs. I look at it this way: If I save up and buy a mustang, then I have a mustang to show for all my work. If I don't save up for a mustang, then a lot of my money will probably get pissed away doing stupid **** like going to movies, eating out, smoking weed, and I will have nothing to show for it. New edge mustangs are pretty much done losing value. (might lose $1000 over the next 8 years). And I know from experience that 4.6 is bomb proof. The car is also not very complex in its design, so theres a good amount of DIY that I can do if it does break down.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:31 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Lol ya 6g should get u a nice one, good thinkin and you will appreciate it in the long run i bought a sn95 for 2500 then drove it for 4 years put somewhere around 60k on it then sold it for 3800 then bought another acura then sold it then bought the car i have now and ended up making out pretty well so the mustangs do hold there value pretty good providing u dont buy it new lol , anything american muscle will resale good so dont worry if u end up changing ur mind after u grad and want to get the gt500 ull still prolly sell it for what u bought it for if not more ( just dont buy a pos for top dollar and never pay asking price always haggle and get the price down even if its perfect condition lol cash money talks)

Old 10-06-2014, 05:08 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Nice job making money on the sn95! lol I should do that
Old 10-08-2014, 03:25 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Low boost and DFMU or just get Cobra?

Lol yea but it might not always work out that way and i didnt plan on it when i bought the first sn95 lol it just happened that way but im glad i got another one i just like the 96-04s both styles i could have either and be happy but i wish i had the $ for a 4v swap that i can throw my vortech blower on lol

Old 10-08-2014, 05:21 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

That would be a really fun car lol.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:08 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Ya eventually I'll save for a coyote motor but right now ima have around 400 whp when im done with this budget build which will still be fun

Old 10-08-2014, 07:45 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
400+ on the street is a blast.

Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:56 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

You know what the best supporting mod is for a street car that's making 400+ ?

Its this retractable license plate haha. I think it should come with a WOT switch that activates it to hide the plate every time the throttle is opened up.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:00 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Because lets be honest, the only reason to stop for piglets is because they usually have your plate. I mean ****, I watched a mid 90s F350 quad cab long box ditch the 5-0 this past may. Have you guys ever heard of the Automotion Car show in Wisconsin dells? Things get frickin wild sometimes that weekend.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:06 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Lol ya but on a toggle switch would be better becuz if u run ull have to slow down to make multiple turns becuz u can have 5000 hp but if u only run on the interstate in a straight line u still will get caught just as easily as using a golfcart lol

Old 10-09-2014, 06:14 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

true that. I have my escape route all planned out around my area just in case. I mean, I don't intend for that to ever be necessary, but I figure that if I ever do need that I better have a plan ready. There are some twisties that I drive a lot and have them dialed in. I know all of the lines on that road and whats safe to do on it and what not. Then theres a small town that has no cops, more twisties, then a village that my grandpa lives in. Right outside of it there is my family farm where nobody lives and a barn that Im gonna park it in. I have a plasti dip car kit sitting inside ready to change my color and Id just get my brother to give me a ride home.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:00 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Lmfao dam u even got the plasti dip ready, ill tell you this people get away from the police everyday ive done it 3 times on my crotch rocket and no im not condoning it nor suggesting but when i got clocked on my bike i was running every bit of 90 in a 45 so they prolly would of towd the bike and jaild me and he had to turn around and when i saw him doing just that i clicked down a few gears and never lifted went thru the gear box somewhere of 160-180 ( to fast to look ) i ran up on some traffic and lane split them at 100 and jumped off the exit and back in the throttle i went made a few more turns and went on home and parked the bike in the garage

Old 10-12-2014, 07:49 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Hahaha that's awesome. I have only ditched them once on land and once when I was on the water on my stand up jet ski. I was riding my dirtbike on some land that wasn't mine, its really nobodies lol. But I saw this cop come up with his lights on, so I just pinned it across some fields, he was driving next to me, but there is a road in the middle of where he was heading because it turns into a private driveway, I drove around it on my dirtbike and he had to stop haha. The other time I was on the water on my jet ski that's pretty heavily modded, some dude tries to race me in a no wake zone like 200 feet from the beach heading out to the main body, so I raced him, beat him, and then the cops showed up trying to pull us over, but I ran. Pineed my jet ski to a beach in the middle of nowhere and coasted up onto the beach going like 25 mph. I killed it as soon as I started sliding on the beach and then dragged the jet ski into the woods and had my buddy pick me up on his twin engine 29' boat haha. Love going fast.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:53 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Lol, yea but ina car is a bit different cant put a car where i put the bike to get away i dunno if id try ina car unless i was on a road/situation that i knew i could easily get away because getting caught running is a felony

Old 10-12-2014, 08:12 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Ah ****, yeah that wouldn't be cool lol. Idk if I would try it in a bone stock mustang in pretty much any situation. Id need suspension work, some damn good tires, and at least 350rwhp in addition to being right by my escape route. If A cop ever saw me doing 100+ and started to whip around and chase, Id probably just say **** it and keep going. Especially if he was in a crown vic haha
Old 10-14-2014, 12:17 PM   #33
Staff
Regular
Staff

Ok... enough with the talk about illegal activities and escaping justice for said activities. Any more talk of it and the thread is getting closed.

Old 10-14-2014, 05:57 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Can we talk about a better speed limit policy? Seriously doubt that 65mph is the fastest speed you can safely go on flat, straight pavement in ANY modern car, let alone a mustang or cars of higher performance. Maybe in the 1940s it was a good policy, but now its just agonizingly boring and makes me fall asleep!
Old 10-14-2014, 07:47 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
States are already moving speed limits up because of the expiration on a law is now up or some thing. Back in the 70's I think it was (going all off memory here from the program I saw) when the oil crisis hit, the national speed limit was set to help cars reach a speed in which to conserve gas while traveling. So now that it's up some states I think 3 have now set speed limits up to like 80 and I know for a fact Texas now how has an 85 mph speed limit on a road.

But yea you'll possibly start seeing speed limits going up here and there, like those straight for miles 55 mph zones

Oxford White Roush Stage 1 SN# 6925--SOLD but never forgotten!
Kona Blue GT premium - Slammed on BC's and BMR's full rear suspension
The_Chech is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT