Damn I wish I had a lift. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-30-2014, 12:09 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Damn I wish I had a lift.

Inspection ran out in August, I've been getting too lucky with that. Have a buddy that knows a guy with a lift we can use to get my full exhaust on (that I've had since the beginning of summer) but he and I pretty much always work opposite shifts. A season and a half of waiting and nearly two months of driving an uninspected car is enough, I'm caving in.

Estimate for the full installation: $750. Thanks Long Tubes! :/

Honestly it's cheaper than I would have guessed but still hurts knowing it's something I could do with a buddy over the weekend. Really can't wait for my friend to get his garage built with a nice shinny new lift in it.

Also, I plan on getting it done at DGR Performanve here in central PA. They pretty much only do performance mustang builds, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they also do all the work for Ronnie Diaz AKA Modfather as well? I could probably get it done a LITTLE cheaper somewhere else but I trust DGR more than I would some local shop in a back alley.
HighlyBored is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2014, 01:39 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
I'm quite spoiled. Being military, we have the Auto Hobby Shop, if they have a lift open, you just pay like $7/hr to use the lift and all the Snap-On tools you need.

I have been wondering if there were places in the "real world" where you could rent a lift?
AFcompo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:44 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFcompo View Post

I have been wondering if there were places in the "real world" where you could rent a lift?
They exist, just rare and definitely not 7 bucks/hr lol. I just really need to get this done and can't wait any longer. I've had way too many close calls with cops with my inspection, and if I get nailed for that, I'm getting nailed for a lot of other stuff on the car too lol.

I figured I'd just swallow my pride and let the shop get this done, and after get my pullies and tune on then get her inspected. Then I'm gonna start saving up and hopefully get a coyote in it this coming summer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2014, 03:25 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlyBored View Post
I've had way too many close calls with cops with my inspection
Heard that! I just straight up got lazy, and then forgot... then 2 years later a rando-cop noticed at midnight that I had 2 year expired plates on. Since nothing popped up on my record and they were mildly impressed, they let me got with a ticket. Which could be tossed if I got my registration up-to-date in 30 days.

This was pre-military... in college. Pretty nice dudes. I've been lucky EVERY time I've been pulled over. Just bull*****ted with them and accepted the blame, and they have all been cool. 0 tickets thus far. KNOCK ON WOOD!
Old 09-30-2014, 07:04 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Why a lift is needed I do not understand. Just put the car on 4 jackstands and do it in the driveway. Done many of times, and plenty of room to get around and get it done in an afternoon.

2015 Race Red Performance Package GT 5.0 (435hp) stock
Still in the making Updates coming soon!
99_GRUMPY_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 11:05 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_GRUMPY_GT View Post
Why a lift is needed I do not understand. Just put the car on 4 jackstands and do it in the driveway. Done many of times, and plenty of room to get around and get it done in an afternoon.
There have been a few times where laying down would have given me a much better angle instead of reaching above my head, or lurching under the car... but so far, it's cheap and convenient.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:34 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_GRUMPY_GT View Post
Seriously not possible with my car dude. We tried lol. Had the whole car in the air and no where even close to enough room.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:50 PM   #8
WJL
Registered Member
Regular

+1 you can do it in the driveway
WJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:00 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJL View Post
+1 you can do it in the driveway
Ik it's technically possible. We tried. The entire car was up in the air and there just wasn't enough room. Only thing there is to it. And I'm definitely not stacking jack stands 3 feet high on cinder blocks.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:12 PM   #10
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Drop the k member and steering rack. You'll have enough room.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:15 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

No really dude, had front end on ramps and rear on blocks of wood and couldnt even get under it the whole way. I have friends who said they'd get her like 3 feet in the air with blocks but that's not exactly safe lol

Sent from my SM-G900T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 10-01-2014, 09:26 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlyBored View Post
No really dude, had front end on ramps and rear on blocks of wood and couldnt even get under it the whole way. I have friends who said they'd get her like 3 feet in the air with blocks but that's not exactly safe lol

Ramps are good for oil changes but generally jack stands will get the car a lot higher. I'm sure if you had 4 quality jackstands (not ramps or wood blocks) and raised the whole car they would fit no problem. I've done this with several cars and although its tight with LT's its possible. Just keep the actual jack under the main engine support for additional safety although as long as you have quality jacks and there under the frame and axle you shouldn't have any issues.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:38 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I have jacks but the ramps were actually near the same height and gave more clearance underneath. We tried it and say no way in hell and my buddy said he knows a guy with a lift we just have not had a single chance in the past two months. I can't mess around anymore inspection is beyond expired now so I'm just swallowing my pride and taking it to a shop. The guy actually only does mustang performance and builds and I planned on going there for future needs (tunes, dyno, etc.) anyway.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:54 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Also maybe I am misreading what your typing but does your car have the stock exhaust on it or the LT's? If you have the stock exhaust why not just get it inspected now then put the LT's on after inspection as I'm pretty sure LT's are illegal due to deleting/ relocating the cats.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 04:36 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
$750 is not bad for a full exhaust install but like everyone said you can do it with jack stands and save your money if you choose. I did my LTs on jack stands when it was 30 something degrees out with a buddy. Dropping the K is a must this way though. If you do decide to go the jackstand route I recommend using 3 tons and have lots of extensions and swivel sockets.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Yellastang03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:08 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Do it yourself ! That's what imma do .. man style

Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:09 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I'm going to do it on my drive way with Jack stands.. don't be a girl
There's plenty of room , everyone does it.

Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT