Purpose of EGR , Delete Question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-07-2014, 07:20 AM   #1
Registered Member
Region: Alabama
Purpose of EGR , Delete Question

So EGR deals with Emissions ?
When I do my headers I was debating deleting it .. due to the fact I won't have to worry about that EGR tube ..
Question is ..

Do I NEED a tune .. to run without it , and if I DONT have a tune .. what may be the outcome besides the SES light on

Saving up for a tuner at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:29 AM   #2
Registered Member
Region: Other
EGR valves take some of the spent exhaust charge and puts it back into your intake. It does this when the engine is warmed up and the ECU tells it to put some spent exhaust into the intake. The reason it does it when it is warmed up is to make the next combustions cooler by diluting the fresh fuel charges with the exhaust. This reduces pinging and even backfiring in an engine that might otherwise get too hot and do that. So do you need it? Hell no, **** that ****. Its taking away from performance. Run higher octane fuel if youre worried about pinging/detonating. Do you need a tune tho? If you have to ask, its usually a yes lol. The ECU will be telling the EGR to send exhaust in to dilute the air in the mixture, but the EGR wont be doing that, but the ECU will still send less fuel in to compensate for having less oxygen in the mixture, potentially. And that would cause a lean condition.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT