Clutch pedal not smooth when driving, grainy - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-07-2014, 04:39 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Clutch pedal not smooth when driving, grainy

Hey guys I've got a 02 GT with what I believe to be the stock clutch, 90k miles.

When I'm driving the clutch almost feels grainy, not very smooth. The thing is it's not 100% of the time, I noticed it last fall but the clutch felt like it got smooth again. I just started noticing it again. I just started it the other day and the clutch just felt completely different then when I shut my car off the night before. Doesn't effect driving it's all just how it feels to me. Clutch seems to grab just fine still.

I just took it on a drive to try and figure this out. Only feels unsmooth when driving down the road. When I put the car in neutral at highway speeds and depress the clutch in and out I can feel the unsmoothness, but when the car starts to slow down the clutch starts to feel more smooth again... Also seems to do it when shifting at higher rpms but not so much at really low rpms. After driving for awhile It seemed to start getting smooth again and as I write this parked in my driveway I can't even notice it anymore... What the deal? Time for a new clutch? Can't even notice it when idling and clutch is depressed..

Also I've always noticed that when the a/c is on the clutch always felt unsmooth too, but as soon as I turned the a/c off, it felt normal. Noticing the unsmoothness with a/c off now though.. Anybody have any ideas? Not a major problem, just annoying as hell and I'm a perfectionist when it comes to my baby...

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
GHO5T5NIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2014, 05:20 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I mean at 90,000 miles a new clutch wouldn't be a bad idea and if you have issues after that you can look into other areas which may be causing it.

2014 5.OHHHHHH
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:31 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles76 View Post
I mean at 90,000 miles a new clutch wouldn't be a bad idea and if you have issues after that you can look into other areas which may be causing it.

2014 5.OHHHHHH

I guess that's what I might have to do.. Sucks because had everything set up to have gears installed..

Also might add I've always noticed the 2 years I've had it, sometimes under load when the clutch is depressed it makes a little chirp. Sounds like throw out bearing but it only happens very rarely

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2014, 06:20 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Get a good clutch kit with a new throw out bearing and master cylinder and while your working toss the gears in. Nice weekend project.

2014 5.OHHHHHH
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:39 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles76 View Post
Get a good clutch kit with a new throw out bearing and master cylinder and while your working toss the gears in. Nice weekend project.

2014 5.OHHHHHH

Wish I had the money to do all that at once haha I'm just a broke college student.. Should I stick with stock cable and just do the clutch, ford racing throw out, and pilot bearing? I've heard not so good things about aftermarket cables and clutch adjusters.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:39 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Seems like everytime I get over 3k rpm is when the pedal feels unsmooth. Short shifting below 3k and it feels perfectly fine

Old 10-10-2014, 04:37 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Could be tob or the cable/quadrant is not in line 100% ( if its aftermarket ) and why a mastercylinder? Our cars use a cable and fork lol but if its the tob i would save for a new better clutch seeing as tho its still driving fine with the exception of how it feels but do replace it asap and get your flywheel resurfaced while ur in there and i replaced my rear main seal because its right there after u take flywheel off ( usually cost 40-60 bucks to resurface flywheel mine costed me 45)

thyreaper is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT