Too cold of weather for the injectors? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-12-2014, 07:58 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Too cold of weather for the injectors?

Alright. I was thinking about how cold the winters are getting where I live. It gets down to -60 degrees F here a few times in the winters now. How cold of weather can my ECU and fuel system compensate for? I heard that its a 1% power gain every time the temp drops 10 degrees. I don't know if that's accurate, but the idea makes sense.

Lets say my car makes 235 rwhp when its 90 degrees, but then in the winter, the car is operating in 150 degree colder weather at one point when its -60, which would equal a 15% power gain. How much colder air can the car handle?!

Another Idea related to this, So lets say my car CAN safely handle -60 degree weather and the extra oxygen that is consumed in the mixture... During the summer, how much of a dry shot of nitrous can a stock fuel system and ECU handle? If its going to add 15% power during the summer, that would be a 35 Dry Shot. A 35 dry shot of nitrous would equal the same amount of oxygen as a -60 degree day. WHat do you think?

How cold is too cold? Do manufacturers ever state how cold of temps are too cold for the car to run safely in?
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2014, 08:59 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Good question!
I've lived in CA for my entire life so I don't stay up to date on subjects like this, but I remember, years ago that Ford used to offer an "Arctic Package" for their trucks. I think that it, mainly, consisted of a block heater and different O-rings for the fuel system to prevent them from becoming cold and brittle, in the sub-zero temperatures, and developing leaks.
There are vehicles that are used in places like McMurdo Station in the Arctic that are used year round, much of the time in sub-zero temperatures.
The performance aspect of a negative density altitude is interesting. I suppose that if you dyno'd your car at -60 degrees and then again at 60 degrees Fahrenheit, the power difference would be in the 10% range... Somewhere.
Not sure about the nitrous but I would assume that a small shot would have a much larger effect at the cold temp.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:12 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Good question!
I've lived in CA for my entire life so I don't stay up to date on subjects like this, but I remember, years ago that Ford used to offer an "Arctic Package" for their trucks. I think that it, mainly, consisted of a block heater and different O-rings for the fuel system to prevent them from becoming cold and brittle, in the sub-zero temperatures, and developing leaks.
There are vehicles that are used in places like McMurdo Station in the Arctic that are used year round, much of the time in sub-zero temperatures.
The performance aspect of a negative density altitude is interesting. I suppose that if you dyno'd your car at -60 degrees and then again at 60 degrees Fahrenheit, the power difference would be in the 10% range... Somewhere.
Not sure about the nitrous but I would assume that a small shot would have a much larger effect at the cold temp.

Yeah If you did a dry shot in addition to it being really cold out, you would have a bigger effect. But what I was thinking was based of off an "If THen" Kind of idea.
--If your car can handle the increased oxygen that comes with a cold temp of -60 degrees, then you could safely compensate for the lower oxygen amount of a 90 degree day Via nitrous oxide, and be taking in the same amount of oxygen that it would be if it were -60 degrees
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2014, 09:23 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
Yeah If you did a dry shot in addition to it being really cold out, you would have a bigger effect. But what I was thinking was based of off an "If THen" Kind of idea.
--If your car can handle the increased oxygen that comes with a cold temp of -60 degrees, then you could safely compensate for the lower oxygen amount of a 90 degree day Via nitrous oxide, and be taking in the same amount of oxygen that it would be if it were -60 degrees
Absolutely!
That is what Nitrous does.

If your asking if it is safe to only use a small shot like that, the answer is yes. The problem is that you probably wont even feel it.
I think that a 100 shot is considered "safe" in our cars.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:25 PM   #5
ME Bloodhound
Staff

It won't change anywhere near enough for a need of different injectors.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:33 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Ehh, I think you would feel a 15% increase coming on that fast. I just don't think that it would be a big enough difference to matter
Old 10-12-2014, 09:42 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Haha.
Yeah its definitely not going to make anyone say "Holy Crap! That was Awesome! "
Old 10-12-2014, 10:08 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah lol. buying a nitrous kit, installing it, and then only running a 20-30 shot is a waste. id spray a nice wet and juicy 100 shot right into those 8 holes. They're just begging to be filled and it feels so goodddd

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT