10-14 5.0 swap into a 97 mustang gt - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-16-2014, 01:04 AM   #1

10-14 5.0 swap into a 97 mustang gt

I want to swap my 4.6 engine and get the 5.0 coyote engine.. what exactly do I need for this swap once I get the engine and tranny? Like motor mounts, harnesses, etc...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Juh_Jayson7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2014, 04:55 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I was researching the same thing to try and figure out cost, then if u wanna keep ur accessories u gotta buy the expensive overpriced bracketry / or fab it up if u have the skillset and equipment. Latemodel restoration did a sn95 coyote and there info seems to be the closest i can find to telling you what all u need but a centri blower is uncharted waters still it seems due to the reverse mount altenator and moving the accesories around, no matter what its going to be expensive even if u get a good deal on the motor all the stuff to make it work isnt cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
thyreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 01:53 AM   #3

Mmmh... thanks man... I think I found a deal that gets me everything ... motor, tranny, wires and everything ???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Juh_Jayson7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2014, 03:41 AM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
I'm at work (yes at 4 AM... FML...) so I can't get the list but basically you need:

Coyote motor out of a 2011+ GT or F150 (F150 is way cheaper) $2500 for F150 out of a JY
FRPP Harness/ECU $1500
Gas Pedal adapter $80
Bracket adapters $600
Battery relocation $100
Lower rad hose $25-$30

Then obviously swap exhaust but I don't exactly count that as part of the cost because any build is going to need a good exhaust setup.

$800 for BBK ceramic longtubes
$250 I think for the BBK X pipe but you'd have to look it up

You'll want a full 3" catback too so even if you have a catback already it is likely 2.5" so that's another upgrade to look at.

The Coyote will drop right onto your stock K member and bolts up to any modular transmission so you can re-use your T-45 but don't expect the 98-down ones to hold up for very long. The 99+ ones yeah, they had carbon fiber blocker rings and an updated 5-R slider/fork but the 98-down had paper blocker rings and reverse issues.

All this may sound like a lot of money but go ahead and price out building the modular. Trick Flow heads alone are about the cost of a complete Coyote motor. The bracketry and harness/ECU is a little pricey but its turnkey. The Coyote with basic mods will put down 450 to the wheels. The modular needs a power adder to attain this. I've already priced out building a modular vs a JY F150 Coyote swap and the Coyote swap wins out by $thousands in cost.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:19 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I'm at work (yes at 4 AM... FML...) so I can't get the list but basically you need:

Coyote motor out of a 2011+ GT or F150 (F150 is way cheaper) $2500 for F150 out of a JY
FRPP Harness/ECU $1500
Gas Pedal adapter $80
Bracket adapters $600
Battery relocation $100
Lower rad hose $25-$30

Then obviously swap exhaust but I don't exactly count that as part of the cost because any build is going to need a good exhaust setup.

You'll want a full 3" catback too so even if you have a catback already it is likely 2.5" so that's another upgrade to look at.

The Coyote will drop right onto your stock K member and bolts up to any modular transmission so you can re-use your T-45 but don't expect the 98-down ones to hold up for very long. The 99+ ones yeah, they had carbon fiber blocker rings and an updated 5-R slider/fork but the 98-down had paper blocker rings and reverse issues.

All this may sound like a lot of money but go ahead and price out building the modular. Trick Flow heads alone are about the cost of a complete Coyote motor. The bracketry and harness/ECU is a little pricey but its turnkey. The Coyote with basic mods will put down 450 to the wheels. The modular needs a power adder to attain this. I've already priced out building a modular vs a JY F150 Coyote swap and the Coyote swap wins out by $thousands in cost.

Don't you need more then one of those brackets that cost $600 each? One moves the power steering and one moves the alt, i might of misunderstood when i was looking at the coyote swap, also how did u price out the mod motor build? Id be entertained to see how you have it all priced out because i already have a blower which with one i could go way past 450 hp with a forged bottom end if i kepted it under 600 i could even use my crank and just get it high speed balanced and mmr has a rod/piston combo for 800 to handle up to 750hp and the headwork well mmr will port/polish urs or u can buy some trickflows and cams id go with mhs blowers thats where cost would equal out but I'd have more then 450 hp, now granted the coyote can make a ton more with a blower but a centri blower doesnt look like its been done yet on a coyote swapped car but a roots style has but that would be wayy more onto the cost

Old 10-19-2014, 10:56 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post

FRPP Harness/ECU $1500
Gas Pedal adapter $80
Bracket adapters $600
Battery relocation $100
Lower rad hose $25-$30

sounds like I will go this route when the time comes, does it also work with automatic trans?
2003 gt, sct custom tuned by VMP, k&n fipk, upr o/r x-pipe, dynomax turbo mufflers, mm c/c plates, mm full length subframe connectors, h&r race springs, bullit rims 18x10 rear 18x9 front, 4.10 gears, 20% tint, 9 inch shorty antenna
edross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:07 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
You need a standalone trans controller or a full manual valve body for an automatic. Also the BBK longtubes do not clear the auto so you'll need custom headers or maybe BBK will pull their heads out of their asses and realize a lot of ppl are going to want to go auto with this swap.

PA racing makes a plug and play trans/controller/stall/adapters for $4k that will drop right in but that better include a tub of lube for that price IMO. A JY 4r75w will hold the 650 that PA racing says theirs does and you can piece together the rest of it and be into it for $2k total if you are smart.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:11 PM   #8
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Out of everything I've researched for the swap the biggest PITA is wiring everything up and all the little custom fab things like the battery has to be moved to the trunk, and if you want to keep the windshield wiper fluid you need to move that also. Lots of little things that take time and more money.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 03:52 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Buy a carb'd intake and save yourself some headaches
Judge_dredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:05 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge_dredd View Post
Buy a carb'd intake and save yourself some headaches

Wont ever go carb'd as having boost with a carbd motor is too much of a pita constantly swapping jets when temp changes... No ty

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT