Not Starting...Died While Driving - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-30-2014, 02:34 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Not Starting...Died While Driving

Sorry, for the long story, but background is important...

Ok, so I started my car like normal and put on the heater full-blast. I noticed that the fan was not blowing very fast and I drive for maybe 5 minutes and I notice that my Mach 460 woofers sounded terrible (but not my 10" sub in the trunk it was still thumping), so bad that I turned off the radio. Then not 2 minutes later I notice my car's "ABS" light come on and start to try and die, so I turn left onto a road to head back then she died (luckily I put her in neutral before to gain a little distance.) A man helped push me the rest of the way off of the road. He used a wrench to cross the battery and said my battery was bad because it should of discharged harder (I don't think there's anything wrong with the battery.) I disconnected the fuse from my amp and let her set a little bit then started to start her and she was struggling, but after pumping the gas she started up strong and ran fine until I made it to school and she tried to die again and I pumped the gas to keep her from dying and she just kept barely putting along until I let off the gas and parked. Now, shes not even trying to start and while most accessories work, the subs on the Mach 460 system still don't work while the tweeters and head unit still do.

I have been having the battery light flicker when the car is under load recently,and yesterday I noticed it stay on under not-so-heavy load. I've been procrastinating replacing the alternator for about 2-3 months. Only thing I can think of is:
1. Bad Alternator (after tonight, I'm straying from this)
2. Bad ground somewhere (but everything else does fine like headlights, stereo, tweeters, blinkers, lock remote)
3. My theft system is armed (maybe the alternator got so bad the car thought it was getting stolen, I don't know)

Please help with any suggestions/ possible answers. Thanks
Attached Files
04beautyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2014, 02:58 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Correction: I just tried starting it again and I was able to crank it for a minute before it tried to die again. I had to pump the gas to get it started and to keep it moving again. I moved it because I was parked in a no-parking zone.
Now I'm really thinking it's the anti-theft system, but what do I do about it, I can't exactly drive it to a dealer.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:36 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Not Starting...Died While Driving

The antitheft system would make it so it wouldnt run at all u wouldnt be able to keep it going if the antitheft was causing it, id check to make sure the connection to the battery was solid, the battery lamp indicates that the alt may not be charging and it can be that when it gets heat under the hood the alt stops charging then drains ur battery to the point if it not being able to run decent, also the battery could have a short inside of it causing all the issues, what i would do is get u a fresh battery then start it up and drive her str8 to a place that can put a load on ur alt to check it, u may have both issues going on ive had all of these things happen with me thats why im suggesting it. Last time my batt shorted out my car acted wackey just like ur describing so id start there

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
thyreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2014, 12:21 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Alternator
Camshaft sensor
Crankshaft sensor

I would start in that order.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:42 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

ok guys, thanks, I drove it around campus today after resetting the computer and it hasn't done anything yet. A buddy of mine explained that it may be the voltage regulator allowing AC current through instead of converting to DC... I sure hope it's nothing in the engine cause that would be a pain
Old 10-30-2014, 07:55 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I had a problem like this. And I changed my crankshaft and camshaft sensors. And it fixed it for me. Camshaft sensor is rigt next to the driver camshaft on the timing chain cover. And then crankshaft sensor is right next to the ac compressor. My was loose and I plugged it back in and it worked fine. But yea. If not. I would go with a new alternator

2003 True Blue mustang gt
phillip433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 03:07 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

try hitting the passenger foot side plastic where the computer is i did that to mine while turning the key and she fired right up but had to check the wires to find i had some short from my chip.
yellowconve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 03:22 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

It was the alternator, I knew it needed to be replaced, but I didn't realize it would cause all that other stuff to act up. Thanks for the advice, y'all.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT