Cold Start Stalling Problem - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-31-2014, 02:18 PM   #1

Region: Kansas
Cold Start Stalling Problem

On cold starts when the engine is completely cooled down, the car starts up but wants to stall immediately but will always catch itself and idle like its supposed to in warm weather. Got into my car after work on a 39 degree day and it stalled out multiple times until it finally started up on the third time with me pressing on the throttle. This only happens on cold starts. On warm starts the car fires up like its supposed to and i have no issues. Its a 2003 Mustang GT with longtubes, offroad H pipe, a cai, and a tune from Bama. It has 144,000 miles. I have replaced the tps, maf sensor, and iac all within the last 6 months but the issue continues to plague me. I was wondering what were your guy's comments and thoughts.
robartel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2014, 10:29 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
What brand of IAC did you replace the "faulty" one with?
Have you cleaned the Throttle Body?
Have you scanned for any codes?
Did this "cold start" problem just suddenly occur? Or has it been a problem for as long as you've owned the car?
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:43 AM   #3

The iac is a ford oem one. I have no codes. The cold start started happening this past September. I have cleaned the throttle body.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2014, 01:17 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

1. Check your battery and charging system to make sure that everything is working correctly.
2. Check the fuel system for correct pressure. Replace fuel filter.
3. Spark plugs? Are they in good condition and properly gapped?
4. Possibly a defective engine coolant temperature sensor.
5. PCM malfunction.

Start working your way down that list.
Good luck!
Old 11-02-2014, 09:46 AM   #5

I will. Thanks. Ill post what I find haha

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 02-18-2015, 07:40 PM   #6

Region: Maryland
I've been having similar issues with my 04 gt. It starts but immediately stalls if I don't step on the gas. The car drives well until you stop or shift to neutral and stalls. I took the iac off and cleaned it to the best of my ability. Is there supposed to be spring in the iac? I cleaned the butterfly and throttle body as far as my hand could reach. I started up again and stalls immedialty. Any advice or wisdom? Thanks
badspeedy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:31 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by badspeedy21 View Post
I've been having similar issues with my 04 gt. It starts but immediately stalls if I don't step on the gas. The car drives well until you stop or shift to neutral and stalls. I took the iac off and cleaned it to the best of my ability. Is there supposed to be spring in the iac? I cleaned the butterfly and throttle body as far as my hand could reach. I started up again and stalls immedialty. Any advice or wisdom? Thanks
If the IAC is old enough to need cleaning, chances are that it is worn out and needs replacing.
If you replace it, the only brands that I recommend are Motorcraft and Hitachi.
Whenever replacing electrical components or sensors, on the engine, disconnect the negative battery terminal before replacing the part and then reconnect the battery when you're finished, and let the car idle until it is warmed up so that it can relearn the idle trims.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT