Transmission fluid change - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-02-2014, 08:13 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Transmission fluid change

Hey folks,

So i was thinking about changing the tranny fluid on my 02 gt 5 speed and i was wondering how the process is done and what fluid is the best. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
robin_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2014, 08:21 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
There is a drain plug at the bottom of the trans that you take out using 3/8 wrench the actually square part that you usually put a socket on. And fill it back up with exactly 3.2 qts not 3 or 4 but 3.2 of your choice of trans fluid either through the shifter ( easier ) or the fill plug on the side of the trans just like the drain plug( I think I'm the drivers side).

Oxford White Roush Stage 1 SN# 6925--SOLD but never forgotten!
Kona Blue GT premium - Slammed on BC's and BMR's full rear suspension
The_Chech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:22 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

As for best fluid I'd personally go with penzoil synchro mesh

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2014, 08:25 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Alright man thanks for the info ill prob do it tomorrow is there anything i should pay attention to when i look at the old tranny fluid?

robin_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:30 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Metal shavings of you see any you better start worrying lol

Old 11-02-2014, 09:20 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I'd suggest Pennzoil synchro mesh as well , 3.2 QTS exactly. I usually pour in bout 3 QTS because there's always some extra left in after draining it..when I first got my 02 GT I tried some Mobil 1 ATF which was highly suggested , shifted great for a bit but started getting a bit notchy on me after a while, I've had the Pennzoil synchromesh in for over a year and a half and its been nothing but buttery smooth shifting, even the 1-2 shift

02 GT
2013 Feb MOTM
Old 11-02-2014, 10:30 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Just did mine yesterday with Pennzoil. Reverse goes in super easy now and all my shifting is like butter. Easy to pour from shifter.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
XSlashDashX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:53 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

When I had my 98 with the 3650 in it, I used exactly 3.2 quarts of Pennzoil Syncrhomesh. Thing shifted ridiculously smooth, makes you realize that most of the 3650 *****ing is from ppl who had it either overfilled or used ****ty fluid.

One thing straight from Tremec is to never EVER use a Royal Purple product in it. The detergents they use in the fluid eat the blocker rings.

Also, pull the shifter and fill through there. Don't mess with pumps or any of that crap trying to fill it under the car.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:00 PM   #9
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
3.2 quarts Pennzoil Synchromesh

/thread

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:02 PM   #10
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
I did notice that the tranny isn't as temperamental in the cold since changing the fluid and putting the correct amount in.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:02 AM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

That's actually my only beef with the 3650, from having mine and driving other ppl's. They are noisier than a T-5 or T-45 and they do have to warm up a little longer but if the person driving is one of those ppl who beats on a cold car you deserve for it to blow its guts all over the road when they try a 6k shift before getting it up to temp.

However, that $860 ebay rebuilt trans sure as hell shifted great once warm and at temp. The guy who bought my 98 could not believe how well it shifted.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:54 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa

I tried synchromesh in my TR3650 and wasn't really impressed. I'm now using royal purple synchromax and like that a little better. It's quite a bit smoother and much quieter.

At almost double the price as synchromesh it's probably not worth it. The synchromesh is just fine. It's better than the standard fill for sure.

Cbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:21 AM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbird View Post
I tried synchromesh in my TR3650 and wasn't really impressed. I'm now using royal purple synchromax and like that a little better. It's quite a bit smoother and much quieter.

At almost double the price as synchromesh it's probably not worth it. The synchromesh is just fine. It's better than the standard fill for sure.

And its eating your syncrhos/blocker rings. As I stated already and Tremec has stated specifically from them using Royal Purple products will reduce transmission life as they use detergents that deteriorate the 3650 internals.

Old 11-04-2014, 12:10 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
And its eating your syncrhos/blocker rings. As I stated already and Tremec has stated specifically from them using Royal Purple products will reduce transmission life as they use detergents that deteriorate the 3650 internals.

Interesting. Almost 140k on my 05 3650 and 70k on my 09 with royal purple.

Must be insignificant or just speculation. Got facts?

Old 11-04-2014, 12:21 PM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

I've called Tremec specifically after hearing the same thing about RP and the rep told me that the additives RP uses have been shown to eat the linings off the blocker rings prematurely.

I'll go with what the Tremec rep says but if I was having that sort of luck with RP I probably wouldn't change either based on what one person on the interwebz says. You can call Tremec yourself if you'd like, or not.

Old 11-04-2014, 12:27 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I've called Tremec specifically after hearing the same thing about RP and the rep told me that the additives RP uses have been shown to eat the linings off the blocker rings prematurely.

I'll go with what the Tremec rep says but if I was having that sort of luck with RP I probably wouldn't change either based on what one person on the interwebz says. You can call Tremec yourself if you'd like, or not.

Well I'd trust the tremec rep too lol. If the 05 starts to have the problems you described I'll know why. I'll probably swap out the synchromax and throw in synchromesh on the 09 just to be safe. The difference is pretty negligible. Defiantly not worth demolishing the life of the trans even slightly.

Update: I couldn't help but research this debate on my own and stumbled on this exact topic on the moddedmustangs forum. Here is an email from a royal purple dude:

Good Morning Greg,

I understand your concern. However, we formulated Royal Purple Synchromax specifically for manual transmissions and transfer cases that specify a light fluid viscosity fluid, like an ATF. There are no additives or components that are harmful to your Tremec. In fact, Tremec transmissions are likely the most common application for Synchromax because they have been installed in so many American cars and trucks. You are good to go long term, and you have already experienced the immediate performance improvement. J

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Thanks for choosing Royal Purple and have a great day!

Best Regards,

Christopher Barker
Tech Services
Royal Purple, Inc.
1 Royal Purple Ln.
Porter, TX 77365
281-354-8600

So, tremec says no go. RP says it's fine. I don't care about the 05, but I'm still draining it out of my 09 lol
Old 11-05-2014, 12:23 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Tremec has not officially tested the effects of the Royal Purple brand which is why it is not one of our approved fluids.

Rob Sheppard
Aftermarket Customer Service

This is what I got back from Tremec. They clearly have never even tested synchromax.

Also heard from James Morrissey from Royal Purple and he said Synchromax is perfectly safe in the TR3650 and they have never heard of it "eating away" at anything inside of a transmission.

Not calling you a liar, just don't want bad information circulating around.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:36 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Aww, man. I wish i read this forum a year ago when i changed my fluid. Not only did i spill a ton of fluid using a pump, but i used advance autoparts brand mercon v, only to get sick of it, and now overfill it with mobil1. After i move into my new place and pay all those fees, im gonna count my pennies and go ahead and switch to 3.2 qts of synchromesh.

One thing though, when i tried 3.2 quarts of mercV, i had a weird grinding noise in 5th gear. i added some fluid, (til 3.8) and it stopped. but 1-2 shift isnt as pleasant afterword. any ideas? anyone else have that issue?
fenixignition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 02:44 PM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

Obviously RP is going to tell you their stuff is totally fine to use. Regardless, Tremec HAS thoroughly tested Synchromesh and recommends it as their fluid of choice. Every single trans I've ever used I've put the yellow bottles into and its been great. As always, YMMV.

Old 11-05-2014, 03:13 PM   #20
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:

It really is ^true RP synchromax is bad for the TR3650 synchros. I use Mobile 1 synthetic ATF, but am actually thinking of just puting in plain old Dexron III this next time. It's just known that these trannys don't like synthetic that well.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:04 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
It really is ^true RP synchromax is bad for the TR3650 synchros. I use Mobile 1 synthetic ATF, but am actually thinking of just puting in plain old Dexron III this next time. It's just known that these trannys don't like synthetic that well.

Do you have any information to support this?

From all the information I've seen its just a myth being regurgitated without any facts.

Tremec DOES recommend Mobil 1
synthetic.

I'm just not seeing it guys. If you put synchromax in your tr3650 you're gonna be fine.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT