Trick flow head horsepower - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-10-2014, 08:39 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Trick flow head horsepower

I have a 1998 GT with 36k on the odometer. I am building what I hope is a camaro killer...any year...any model...that's my story and I am sticking to it. Below is a list of my current mods ( still in the shop being completed):

3.73 gears
Trick flow twisted wedge 38cc pi heads
FRPP PI intake
Comp extreme energy stage 1cams
K&N cold air intake
Bbk long tube headers
Bbk catted h pipe
Steeda short throw shifter
Pro dyno tune
265/35 18x9 front nittos and 285/35 18x10 rear nittos

I am hoping my power is generated from the TF heads and the bump in compression. I want to stay NA as long as possible before I go the FI route. I also hope I set myself up for more power down the road with the current top end set up. I am not looking for a loud beast...just a fast one. I should have the results from the dyno tune in a few days and will update the post.

I hope the power is close to 350-375 rwhp. We will see in a few days. Any thoughts on other additions to stay NA?

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3244[1].JPG
Views:	574
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	169546  
mattmcg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2014, 08:43 PM   #2

Upgrade the clutch!!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
sanchezjoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:48 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Good thinking. Will add that to the list and next steps. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2014, 08:49 PM   #4

Go stage 2 gives u room for more potential

sanchezjoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:55 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Wish you the best but with stage one cams....I guess we will see.
Billgluckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:55 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yea, thought about that. I didn't want a loud idle while sitting at a stop light. I may end up selling the stage 1 and upgrading to the stage 2 when I get it back and test it out. This is my dd and want it to remain functional as well as fast. I don't understand cams very well so I was going off of what I read...kept the stock cat back system to keep sound down a bit...

Old 11-10-2014, 08:59 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmcg36 View Post
Yea, thought about that. I didn't want a loud idle while sitting at a stop light. I may end up selling the stage 1 and upgrading to the stage 2 when I get it back and test it out. This is my dd and want it to remain functional as well as fast. I don't understand cams very well so I was going off of what I read...kept the stock cat back system to keep sound down a bit...

I can't blame you on that. If I stay 2v I'll never go more than stage 1. With that said, I know I'll never make crazy power. I bet your combo will be fun as hell though.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:04 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Yea, I don't think I can afford crazy power...can afford some fun and some smiles at the stop lights. I should have the results from the dyno Posted Thursday.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:10 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea, I don't think I can afford crazy power...can afford some fun and some smiles at the stop lights. I should have the results from the dyno Posted Thursday.

Hey man I'm still stock npi. I'd love to have what you're putting together. Can't wait to see what the numbers are.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:59 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

My Trick Flows getting installed today!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3244[1].JPG
Views:	302
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	169548  
Old 11-11-2014, 04:46 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Nice!!!!^^^

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 01:28 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

The good thing with trickflow heads they allow u to run alot of cam if u want, check out mhs they have researched the cam profiles alot and have badass cams that work very well with trickflow heads, they also have a good faq section im going to buy my cams from them when i add cams, also what are you gonna do to put that power down? U have any suspension? Some lcas, torque arm and panhard bar will do

thyreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 02:15 PM   #13
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Texas
I'm old school and not that familiar with hopping up the modulars. Where are you getting extra compression? Smaller combustion chambers? If so, that would appeard to restrict fuel/air mixture. I didn't see any mention of increased fuel flow. Stage 1, 2 etc. doesn't mean anything to me. What is the lift, duration, overlap? Who makes these cams?

Not criticizing, just trying to understand. On pushrod engines you had to increase camming, compression and carburetion (fuel input) to gain horsepower.
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 02:26 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Any Camaro, any year is a bold goal for a N/A 2V 4.6L, it can happen, just means more money. Honestly, you may want to look into engine swaps instead of investing in a 2V, if your goal is to beat even the F-body and newer Camaro's.
Some of the popular swaps include:
-4V 4.6L DOHC (from the Cobra's and Mach 1's)
-4V 5.0L DOHC Coyote (probably least cost effective, but definitely cool)
-4V 5.4L DOHC Navigator (I think the '99-01 is the DOHC, but it's basically a wimpy version of the 5.4L GT500, that responds well with heads, intake, and things that need to be replaced anyway) ***this is the one I'm saving up for, instead of investing in my 185K 4.6L
04beautyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 02:43 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
I have a 1998 GT with 36k on the odometer. I am building what I hope is a camaro killer...any year...any model...that's my story and I am sticking to it.

I hope the power is close to 350-375 rwhp. We will see in a few days. Any thoughts on other additions to stay NA?
El Oh El .. thanks for laugh.

A 2v will never be a Camaro killer NA. Even an NA 4.6 4v can't compete with a bolt on (stock cam) LSx fbody.

Not trying to discourage you, but your goals are completely unrealistic. As an LSx fbody owner, don't waste your money staying NA as you will be completely disappointed with the outcome. Even boosted, a 2v will get walked hard by an LSx fbody with a mild cam and stock heads. We won't even get into the typical LSx fbody with a big cam, heads and nitrous, not that we need it.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:50 PM   #16
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
My guess is 330. Most 4.6 2vs that keep the same bore and stroke max out around 340. Also, personally i would have gone with custom cams, those stage 1 cams are going to really hold you back.

Only real way to get over 350-360 NA with a 2v is high compression, big bore/stroker to a 5.3. Most of those i've seen are in the 390s.

Now if you did do a big bore/stroker set up i've seen 2vs make 700+ on 15-16psi on E85. If i were to build a 2v that is the only route i would go.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 03:53 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Dont get discouraged, i peiced together a vortech v2 kit recently for 1800 ( will have another 350 into it for tuning) and a built 2v with a blower will crush most of any fbitty (lol) or stock newer gen camaro or even a lightly modded one you did good by getting trickflow heads but they will rev to orbit and ur stock intake is going to limit ur ability to rev it and ur cam grind, get u a forged/balanced rotating assembly next and keep the stock compression ( since u got the smaller 38cc heads u need to get alil more dish to go back to stock comp ) then get u a trickflow full intake the track heat one or even a victor jr intake and a blower cam grind from mhs and throw u a blower on it and pump up the boost u can easily squeeze 700hp out of the 2v on 93 ( its better to run e85 if its readily available in ur area) and u will also need a decent fuel system when u go to add the blower and pump up the boost) and if u want 1200 hp u can go turbonetics twin turbo but i think for a street car 600-700 is about all ull need to stomp on anything and everything thats street legal in ur area (ive seen 760 hp 2v on 93 at the track last time i went so i know what it takes) although the twin turbo zo6 that crushed my cbr a few weeks ago would prob rock u in a roll on race

Old 11-13-2014, 07:38 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac3 View Post
I'm old school and not that familiar with hopping up the modulars. Where are you getting extra compression? Smaller combustion chambers? If so, that would appeard to restrict fuel/air mixture. I didn't see any mention of increased fuel flow. Stage 1, 2 etc. doesn't mean anything to me. What is the lift, duration, overlap? Who makes these cams?

Not criticizing, just trying to understand. On pushrod engines you had to increase camming, compression and carburetion (fuel input) to gain horsepower.
The smaller combustion chamber increases compression the same way that replacing the dished pistons with flat top or domed pistons will. Making the combustion chamber as small as possible is the preferred way to increase compression. There is no restriction of the A/F charge because the displacement of the engine remains the same and those TFS heads flow better "As Cast" than safely ported PI heads.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:03 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Yea and trickflow also has a cnc race version ( cost a bit more of course) that flows hella good even by todays standards and is capable of more hp that would push a reg modular block to its limits even with forged internals ( the teksid block would be the way to go ) the reg cast tf heads are alot better then ported pi heads so getting the tf heads was a good thing because even those are capable of big hp , the next steps i would do is get a forged crank/rods/pistons then send those in to get high speed balanced and throw a blower on there ( tune it and drive it while i saved $ ) then get me a victor jr intake or a bullitt intake ( make sure its all port matched whichever rt u go) and buy me some mhs stage 2-3 cams for the tf heads ( it seems the tf heads like a cam thats similiar specs to a non pi cam ) and if that isnt enough hp u can always change pullies and up the boost but with tf heads, some good cams, a good intake setup, and a forged rotating assy. ( fuel system and tune ) u should be close to 500hp without cranking up the boost and if ur after 1000 hp or more then a turbonetics TT would suffice. Since u already spent $ and got the tf heads id recommend to keep the 2v and just build it because thats one of the bigger $ items, I think ull be alot happier when u get ur car back tho the way it sits because it will be a different animal its gonna pull all the way to redline and pull alot harder, i wish i could get me a set of those heads lol but $ is alil tight for me atm

Old 11-14-2014, 08:20 AM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
If staying NA, you will see 330whp at most. And will get annihilated by a bolt on F body. If going boosted you will see 425-450 safely and you don't need TFS heads to do this. Cam only F bodies make about that and have a much better powerband but it might be a driver's race. Any F body with a shot of the sauce, forget it.

A fully forged/built stroker NA 2V with TFS heads can hit 400/400 all motor but that's **** for power with all the money that is spent to get it there. Unless you are in a NA class at your 1/4 mile its completely pointless. Fully built 2V with a turbo and ported PI heads is good for 650-700 and this is the way to go if you are going to be serious about building the 2V. But it isn't just a "decent" fuel system or "decent" anything really. You need a BIG fuel system, suspension, the power adder, chassis reinforcement, a built trans, a built rear etc... etc... Figure on spending close to $20k including the cost of the car and that's doing a lot of the work yourself. Have to pay labor, tack on another 50% of your overall parts cost.

I'm not trying to be discouraging or tell you to get something else, just trying to give you a realistic expectation of power and cost to get there. Yeah at 600-700hp you'll stomp most things you come accross. Until a dude who spent just as much money as you did lines up next to you lol.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:31 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

OK - the numbers are in and as some/most/all thought...I didn't get to 350 HP. The car dyno'ed at:

295 HP
315 TQ

That is still 100 HP/100 ish torque higher that what I had before and with the 3.73's is a blast to drive. Yes, it is no Camaro killer...yet. I have a hell of a top end set up ready to make serious boosted power for this daily driver. Talked to the shop owner and he is confident he can get 400+ out of this 2V with no trouble and also keeping it stable enough to get me down the road every day as my DD. I am very happy with 295 HP that is currently puts out. Much faster than before...my guess is low 13s at 105 in the 1/4 mile but we will see. A stock LS1 98 Camaro against my stang now???? Have to be a drivers race. If the Camaro is modded, no chance for me but more horsepower is only a dollar bill away. My guess is 2015 will be rang in with Champagne and a new Turbo.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:38 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

You got it right. Talked to my shop owner and he said with a more aggressive CAM and better intake (Edelbrock, TrickFLow, etc) I would be closer to 325-330. Currently topped out at 295 HP...yes, I was a little disappointed until I got behind the wheel and floored it. A 100 hp gain is a lot and it felt like it flew! Left some 40 ft black marks to brake it in tonight...much fun and will get me by until next upgrade.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:41 PM   #23
Staff
Regular
Staff

Well if you are doing TFS heads AND the supercharger you are spending double what you needed to to make 425-450... the PI heads support up to 500 just fine, so do the PI cams.

Glad you are enjoying it tho, 300whp is a fun street car.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:42 PM   #24
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Right now as it sits the cams are what is holding you back. I've seen bolt on 2v motors with stage 2 Comp cams or CMS cams hit 300. Those are some badass heads you have, make use of them with better cams, I believe the heads flow well past 7k rpm, make use of it with cams.. If you do put in big cams I would take that opportunity to do a stroker since you are going to want valve reliefs in your pistons anyway.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

HID end all thread
Old 11-14-2014, 08:46 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Yep, thought the Stage 1 would keep the noise down...didnt want a loud car...just a fast one...but now, a little more sound for some more HP is ok with me...Stage 2 and a new intake on the horizon. Dang, just bought it also. How am I going to explain this one to the wife? LOL...beg for forgiveness than ask for permission I always say!
Old 11-14-2014, 08:50 PM   #26
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Get custom grind cams from CMS or Comp cams.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

HID end all thread
Old 11-14-2014, 10:10 PM   #27
Staff
Regular
Staff

+1 for Cushman (CMS).

Old 11-14-2014, 10:41 PM   #28
ME Bloodhound
Staff

I believe custom grind CMS cams are the same price as the off the shelf cams, so why not get ones that will work with your set up perfectly?

HID end all thread
Old 11-14-2014, 10:57 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I noticed that your mod list doesn't include a plenum.
You may want to look at your air intake and fuel injectors now.
I was thinking that you'd at least break into the very low three hundreds with the 38cc heads with mild cams and the non PI short block.

Still, I'll bet it is a fun car now! Probably a nice flat power curve.
Enjoy!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 05:57 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
I noticed that your mod list doesn't include a plenum.

You may want to look at your air intake and fuel injectors now.

I was thinking that you'd at least break into the very low three hundreds with the 38cc heads with mild cams and the non PI short block.

Still, I'll bet it is a fun car now! Probably a nice flat power curve.

Enjoy!

+11. I got the TF Track Heat and noticed a nice bump in performance!.. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1416052645.035455.jpg
Views:	1028
Size:	564.8 KB
ID:	169733

Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 06:27 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
If staying NA, you will see 330whp at most. And will get annihilated by a bolt on F body. If going boosted you will see 425-450 safely and you don't need TFS heads to do this. Cam only F bodies make about that and have a much better powerband but it might be a driver's race. Any F body with a shot of the sauce, forget it.

A fully forged/built stroker NA 2V with TFS heads can hit 400/400 all motor but that's **** for power with all the money that is spent to get it there. Unless you are in a NA class at your 1/4 mile its completely pointless. Fully built 2V with a turbo and ported PI heads is good for 650-700 and this is the way to go if you are going to be serious about building the 2V. But it isn't just a "decent" fuel system or "decent" anything really. You need a BIG fuel system, suspension, the power adder, chassis reinforcement, a built trans, a built rear etc... etc... Figure on spending close to $20k including the cost of the car and that's doing a lot of the work yourself. Have to pay labor, tack on another 50% of your overall parts cost.

I'm not trying to be discouraging or tell you to get something else, just trying to give you a realistic expectation of power and cost to get there. Yeah at 600-700hp you'll stomp most things you come accross. Until a dude who spent just as much money as you did lines up next to you lol.
If your going to spend the extra money for the turbo and all i wouldnt stop at 700 hp..... And i dont care what your in if someone spends as much money as u did then ya ur not gonna just stomp on them but when was the last time uve seen a 700rwhp car driving around on the street? I dunno about the area ur in but around here i could have 500 hp and stomp on most street cars and the only ones that would give me a run are the new coyotes that are lightly modded...ect ( not many around here that are built on the street)...... And when i say " a decent fuel system" thats how i talk look at all my other post.... Anyone that has any business building a car knows if u say u need a " fuel system" that its a complete system and not just some injectors or whatever, with the tf heads he just purchased 700whp is not hard to get with a vortech blower providing he has the fuel and forged internals to do so, if i was going to spend the money and buy a turbo kit id keep saving and drive my 300hp tf head car while i was saving and throw on a badass turbonetics twin turbo kit and then the sky is the limit, and also i dont care what vehicle ur in go ahead and buy a new coyote mustang and spend 30k or more, u still have to put in alot of money to build it , i could build my lil 2v and have 15k into the car with the price of my car and have a car thats a force to be reckoned with ( just priced out everything i need mind u i already have a blower thats capable of 700 hp) now granted a new coyote fully built will still come around me as the new coyote motors are capable of 2500 hp fully done up but there arnt any around here thats over 650 hp thats driving around on the street, theres only 1 car here thats on the street running 7's at the track and its pretty much a race car that he has thrown some mt e.t streets on and made it street legal ( wipers,lights..ect) and he is also my buddy and i know better then to try him lol. But i feel like u where hatin on me scotty for no reason lol, now i know u recently sold ur pi swapped car and are gonna get a newer coyote and are trying to justify doing so and thats great bud im happy for u if i could afford a new car payment and be able to build it after spending 30k on the car i would but i cant so i gotta go with what i can do and everything i said can be done in steps all the while driving my car ( untill u get down to dropping in the built motor but that wouldnt take long i can do it and have it back driving in less then a day)

Old 11-15-2014, 06:51 AM   #32
Staff
Regular
Staff

He meant a plenum not the whole intake. The pi intake is just fine once you drop a tfs or accufab plenum on.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 11-15-2014, 06:52 AM   #33
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyreaper View Post
If your going to spend the extra money for the turbo and all i wouldnt stop at 700 hp..... And i dont care what your in if someone spends as much money as u did then ya ur not gonna just stomp on them but when was the last time uve seen a 700rwhp car driving around on the street? I dunno about the area ur in but around here i could have 400 hp and stomp on most street cars and the only ones that would give me a run are the new coyotes...ect

Move to nj where 400hp is laughable as far as sports cars go.

Old 11-15-2014, 06:54 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Move to nj where 400hp is laughable as far as sports cars go.

The 400 hp was a typeo look back i was editing it while u posted i accidently hit post be4 i was done, one of the disadvantages of not having a keyboard on the phone ( iphone) and having big fingers

Old 11-15-2014, 07:14 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
He meant a plenum not the whole intake. The pi intake is just fine once you drop a tfs or accufab plenum on.

And yes the pi intake is good but if ur building a car that is a screamer (7k+ rpms) the stock pi intake doesnt like higher rpms (even with a plenum/tb) and mhs has done research to back that up and the tf heads are capable of 9k rpm and make power all the way there. MHS also have custom cam grinds specifically for the TF heads for whatever ur trying to do ( turbo, blower, nitrous...ect ) and they will even degree them for u so i recommend them for your cams plus they are alil cheaper then some, all my motor parts are going to come from MHS and MMR

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT