99 Headlight Issue - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-12-2014, 05:59 PM   #1
Region: Florida
99 Headlight Issue

Need some help with my 99 Mustang GT
Everytime I drive this car, the headlights will turn on when I turn them on and stay on for a couple of minutes(2 or 3 maybe). After that time has elapsed, the lights will go out. After another minute or so they will come back on and turn off when they feel like it until I shut the switch off. When I put my parking lights on(halo's), they stay on with no intermission or problems. When I put the bright lights on they act the same as the headlights. If I manually hold the turn signal towards me to turn on the brights, they stay on as long as I have it held. Can anyone help me to find out what's wrong? I have been to multiple mechanics telling me things from, "We don't know what's wrong" to "I think it could be the dimmer switch". Any help with the issue is appreciated!

Video of the problem:

The current lights are aftermarket; however, I still had the problem with the stock lights. This happens while the car is idling or in motion.
You can skip to 2:01 for the lights going out.

Hamaerox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:36 PM   #2
Registered Member
Region: California
The headlight switch on these cars are notoriously troublesome.
Remove the switch and disconnect the connector and carefully inspect it and the connector for any signs of heat damage. If the switch is the problem then it will be obvious by looking at it.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT