Oil filter adapter - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-17-2014, 03:35 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Oil filter adapter

Hi folks i ordered the oil filter adapter gasket and im going install it this weekend on my 2002 mustang gt. Has anyone ever done this and has some advice on how to do it. I know that you have to drain the oil but i heard that you also have to drain the coolant. Should i use gasket sealer for a reliable seal? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
robin_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2014, 03:50 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I just did mine it's really easy and you will have to drain both your coolant and oil when taking off the adapter housing if you do not remove the hose ,which makes it easier in my opinion. Just a lot less of a hassle to leave the hose on the snake your hand and wrist in there to remove the clamp and hose. Great time to do a coolant flush and oil change its only 4 bolts that hold it on and a gasket will do fine. Just make sure you clean the area when you take it off before you put the adapter and gaskey back on. Once you take off the oil filter you will see the 4 bolts that bolt it on to the block. Should be 2 at the top 1 on the right and 1 at the bottom. And make sure you torque them back to specs to make sure it doesn't leak. If I recall correctly I believe it's 27ft lbs of torque for those bolts.

Oxford White Roush Stage 1 SN# 6925--SOLD but never forgotten!
Kona Blue GT premium - Slammed on BC's and BMR's full rear suspension
The_Chech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:56 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Great thanks for the advice ill tackle it this weekend. How do i properly flush the coolant system? The only problem is that the drain plug on the bottom of the radiator broke. Half the plug is still in there and i cant get it out lol i even have a replacement plug. I could drain everything just by removing the lower radiator hose right? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2014, 04:12 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I think when I removed the housing when I left the hose on its drained about 1.5 gallons. So I just added the remaining 50/50 mix when I was done bolting it back on until it hit the full mark. Then I ran it for a bit to clear out the air and added more till full.

Oxford White Roush Stage 1 SN# 6925--SOLD but never forgotten!
Kona Blue GT premium - Slammed on BC's and BMR's full rear suspension
The_Chech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:04 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chech View Post
I think when I removed the housing when I left the hose on its drained about 1.5 gallons. So I just added the remaining 50/50 mix when I was done bolting it back on until it hit the full mark. Then I ran it for a bit to clear out the air and added more till full.

might just do that thanks for the help man
Old 11-18-2014, 06:30 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

i didnt drain my oil when i did mine. removing the oil filter only dropped like, half a quart of oil or so. coolant, i wasnt really expecting to see, but if you have a bucket or pan you can just catch it right there.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT