I Am The Guy With Another Question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-23-2014, 11:06 PM   #1
Registered Member
Region: Georgia
I Am The Guy With Another Question

Most are aware I have bought my first Mustang with the goal of making it faster than anything I have ever owned. This will be done in two phases with the first being add ons and a handheld tuner. Phase ll will be a year or longer away and will consist of super charging.
I was going to get the parts ordered tomorrow to change what is probably a 3:27 rear gear to go along with the automatic transmission in my 04,GT to a 3:73 ratio. I was bench racing this afternoon with my younger Brother Mustang Barry and my best friend Shelby GT 500 Bob ( you would wonder how I held off this long ). They both questioned why I was changing to the 3:73's since one of the main uses of the car will be running for top speed at mainly 1/2 mile airport runways and maybe once a year on a one mile runway. I will also go to three dragrace events per year and I hope to maybe do a little auto cross and open track events. I know the lower ratio will be good for the auto cross and dragracing. They both questioned would my top speed be down at least at the one mile events and maybe the half mile. I couldn't mathematically argue with them but I know they are wrong and I feel sure some of you experts can show them the error of there way. My first observation I have made with what little I have driven the car last week, I spent more time shining it that hot shoeing it but with the automatic transmission it seems weak in the low end torque department, the car is in good tune with no bogging or hesitation and the transmission shifted great.
Question, if I can get the engine eventually making 500 FWHP and have a custom torque converter built and a shift kit installed as well as strengthening the transmission, assume the wind is neutral and I can drive the car or in other words a perfect on paper situation how fast could this car run and will 3:73,gears hold it back in the standing mile.
A stock 98 C5 Corvette w/CAI and a HP tuneup can run over 170 MPH and I had hopes that the Mustang built as I envisioned it could run 180+.
Will the 3:73's hurt my top speed and are there charts, formulas etc.?
Thanks Again

Landspeedracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:47 PM   #2
Registered Member
Region: California
Nope. It's horsepower that will hold back your top speed.
Here's an excellent thread to read about top speed and gears...
Rear gears

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT