4.6 reliability - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-26-2014, 03:45 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via MSN to dudeitsdylan
4.6 reliability

I'm looking at getting a 99-04 GT in a few months. I'm curious on how these engines hold up and when they tend to die. I see a lot with 150k on them and it made me wonder if that's when they starting having issues. Trying to figure out if I'd be okay getting on with 100k-125k miles or if I should try to find one under with under 100k. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
dudeitsdylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2014, 10:00 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
4.6 reliability

Generally speaking the 4.6 is a very reliable and forgiving motor, however, it's not indestructible. It's all relative to how the previous owner(s) took care of it.

A test drive will tell a lot. You'll want to drive it hard. If it idles fine, accelerates smooth, and shifts well you have a keeper. If it doesn't then you will defiantly want to move on to the next.

With current prices and the time of year you might be able to find a good deal on a 05 for a similar price. That's the route I would go. The hydraulic clutch and massive interior upgrades alone did it for me. The third valve and charge motion plates really help with the low end torque (which is severely lacking on the 2v and to a lesser extent the 4v) and mpg.

Cbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:02 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
4.6 reliability

Opps
Cbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2014, 03:35 PM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
146.6k on my 4.6 2v and it's holding up very well. No issues other than a valve seal that is starting to get too hard. I've put about 7k miles on it since I bought it almost 2 years ago, and believe me, none of those were easy miles.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 03:52 PM   #5
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Texas
Just bought one with 153K on it. Seems flawless, no smoke and the oil level has not changed in the last 3K miles not to mention that it is nice and clean. I had to replace a few broken parts (radio bezel, w/s cowl & spoiler). Not bad for $4K.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2002_15.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	323.3 KB
ID:	170374  
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 04:16 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Bought my old 98 gt with 178K miles. Sold with 194K miles. Flawless. No leaks at all. Current 80K GT and has so many problems lol. Just depends on how the previous owner took care of it.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
XSlashDashX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:46 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via MSN to dudeitsdylan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbird View Post
Generally speaking the 4.6 is a very reliable and forgiving motor, however, it's not indestructible. It's all relative to how the previous owner(s) took care of it.

A test drive will tell a lot. You'll want to drive it hard. If it idles fine, accelerates smooth, and shifts well you have a keeper. If it doesn't then you will defiantly want to move on to the next.

With current prices and the time of year you might be able to find a good deal on a 05 for a similar price. That's the route I would go. The hydraulic clutch and massive interior upgrades alone did it for me. The third valve and charge motion plates really help with the low end torque (which is severely lacking on the 2v and to a lesser extent the 4v) and mpg.

The cheapest 05 I've been able to find was 10k. I would definitely prefer a s197, but it's a bit out of my price range I think. I'll keep looking and see if I can come across one though. So thanks for that heads up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
146.6k on my 4.6 2v and it's holding up very well. No issues other than a valve seal that is starting to get too hard. I've put about 7k miles on it since I bought it almost 2 years ago, and believe me, none of those were easy miles.

Bullitts are better than Bullets
Wow, that's still pretty good. Seems like these have a pretty strong engine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac3 View Post
Just bought one with 153K on it. Seems flawless, no smoke and the oil level has not changed in the last 3K miles not to mention that it is nice and clean. I had to replace a few broken parts (radio bezel, w/s cowl & spoiler). Not bad for $4K.
Not bad at all! $4k-$7k seems to be what I'm looking at where I live. Also, your car looks sick! Congrats on your new stang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSlashDashX View Post
Bought my old 98 gt with 178K miles. Sold with 194K miles. Flawless. No leaks at all. Current 80K GT and has so many problems lol. Just depends on how the previous owner took care of it.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Yeah, I figured as much. Just thought I would see if there was a time when it was common for these engines to starting dying. I see a lot of these mustangs for sale with 150k on them so I didn't know if that was when they started falling apart or something.
dudeitsdylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:48 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

probably just the average mileage for the year range. got mine at 149k as well at 5k. nice and clean other than some highway damage on the hood and bumper. Motors still strong, i use it as a daily driver. as long as it was maintained well, these engines last quite a while. Like any motor, just be cautious of neglect. If you can find lower miles on one, then great, just means it has that many more miles that you can put on it. again, assuming it was maintained.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:20 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I've had 2 99-04 4.6's. One with 146,000 and another with 81,000. Both were excellent cars and had no motor problems at all. They both held their value pretty well also.

Old 11-27-2014, 06:40 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Reliability of the car is really good. You will most likely be like the rest of us and mod the car heavily resulting in better driveability and in most cases reliability.
Hello is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT