Anti freeze leaks from exhaust - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-27-2014, 11:02 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Anti freeze leaks from exhaust

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1417150925.741345.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	837.9 KB
ID:	170444
When I put anti freeze in my 01 GT, it started dripping out from this. Now all the anti freeze is out. Please help me

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
joe_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2014, 11:54 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
My buddies leaks from the same spot right down the exhaust. We thought it was coming from the back side of the intake manifold. We just haven't looked hard enough yet because he doesn't wanna fix it just yet.

Oxford White Roush Stage 1 SN# 6925--SOLD but never forgotten!
Kona Blue GT premium - Slammed on BC's and BMR's full rear suspension
The_Chech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 03:04 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chech View Post
My buddies leaks from the same spot right down the exhaust. We thought it was coming from the back side of the intake manifold. We just haven't looked hard enough yet because he doesn't wanna fix it just yet.

Does he drive it without putting anti freeze in it?? And when I turn my heater on it smells like anti freeze bad

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2014, 03:43 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1417167809.644722.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	701.5 KB
ID:	170453
Also right here smokes when I turn my heater on

Old 11-28-2014, 07:12 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Either your heater core or a heater hose is bad...look closely at your hoses to rule them out.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
EastTNMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 07:13 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

How can I tell if the hoes are bad

Old 11-28-2014, 07:36 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
If you see antifreeze leaking from them...or at the connections. Do you see any cracking or drying out of the hoses...if so, they are bad.

EastTNMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 09:36 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyRed14GT500 View Post
If you see antifreeze leaking from them...or at the connections. Do you see any cracking or drying out of the hoses...if so, they are bad.

My car will run, it's been like this for a week or two. I just noticed when I turned my heater on it would fog up my windows and smell like anti freeze. Do you think it could be a blown head gasket

Old 11-28-2014, 09:53 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyRed14GT500 View Post

My car will run, it's been like this for a week or two. I just noticed when I turned my heater on it would fog up my windows and smell like anti freeze. Do you think it could be a blown head gasket

Old 11-28-2014, 11:26 AM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Probably the heater core. Need to pull the dash to change it. Dash removal is actually not that hard, don't let it scare you. I did an entire interior swap in about 7 hours, dash can be removed in an hour if you know what you are doing, 2 if its your first time.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 11:41 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds like the heater core. You can bypass it temporarily to see if the problem persists.
A little easier then taking out the dash.
Same thing happened to me, I also had coolent dripping on my shoes from under the dash tho.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
19robby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 12:59 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I have a 99 v6 for parts, will the heater core on that work on mine?

Old 11-28-2014, 01:24 PM   #13

Region: Georgia
New heater core is not that expensive, I would spring for a new one. The heater cores rot out from the inside and may look good, and then go bad in a few months. I know from past experience is worth spending 75-80 dollars to get a life-time warranty heater core from one of the national parts stores.
ronhawk62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 02:34 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
If you think it might be a Head Gasket..Check your Radiator to see if has a milky residue. Also check your oil to see if it looks milky. If it is...you have a bad Head Gasket. Could be a Leaky Freeze Plug too. But with it dripping by your Cats it probably is your Heater Core.
Does the Passenger Side Floor get wet when you turn the heater on ? That's a sure sign it's the heater core.
Hellish Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 03:32 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellish Horse View Post
If you think it might be a Head Gasket..Check your Radiator to see if has a milky residue. Also check your oil to see if it looks milky. If it is...you have a bad Head Gasket. Could be a Leaky Freeze Plug too. But with it dripping by your Cats it probably is your Heater Core.
Does the Passenger Side Floor get wet when you turn the heater on ? That's a sure sign it's the heater core.

I did find leakage on the driver side and some on passangerClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1417210321.963997.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	492.4 KB
ID:	170464

I also found the main source where it is leaking. It's not coming from the exhaust nor the engine.

Old 11-28-2014, 03:43 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

It's your Heater Core if your floor gets wet.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:09 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It's your Heater Core if your floor gets wet.

Is it okay if I drive it?

Old 11-28-2014, 10:06 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

It will keep leaking unless you bypass the heater core. You can take 1 of the heater hoses off.
disconnect the other hose at the firewall & connect it to where the other hose was on the motor. the hose will just kind of make a U = Shape & you just bypass the heater core.
Problem is you wont have any heat in your car if you do that....but it wont hurt the car any.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:08 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

The thing is...I don't know which is which..😐😐

---------- Post added at 04:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:07 AM ----------

Quote:
It will keep leaking unless you bypass the heater core. You can take 1 of the heater hoses off.
disconnect the other hose at the firewall & connect it to where the other hose was on the motor. the hose will just kind of make a U = Shape & you just bypass the heater core.
Problem is you wont have any heat in your car if you do that....but it wont hurt the car any.

I don't know which is which!!

Old 11-28-2014, 10:20 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Under the Hood on the passenger side you'll see 2 smaller hoses (about 1" Hoses) that go into the firewall. They connect side by side at the firewall. It's the only 2 hoses that are side by side & connect at the firewall. Those are your heater hoses. 1 hose is just a little larger than the other one. Use the larger hose to bypass the heater core because it's easier to get on the fitting you take the other hose off of. It's a simple 15 minute job. My camera died or I'd take some pics to show you.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:25 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Under the Hood on the passenger side you'll see 2 smaller hoses (about 1" Hoses) that go into the firewall. They connect side by side at the firewall. It's the only 2 hoses that are side by side & connect at the firewall. Those are your heater hoses. 1 hose is just a little larger than the other one. Use the larger hose to bypass the heater core because it's easier to get on the fitting you take the other hose off of. It's a simple 15 minute job. My camera died or I'd take some pics to show you.

Man you think you could pull up an image or would you like me to take a pic of the engine and go from there?

Old 11-28-2014, 10:29 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Also what would I need to by pass it? Like I don't understand how to keep it from stop leaking and also being able to keep the anti freeze in there

Old 11-28-2014, 10:36 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

If you web search: "How to bypass the Heater Core on a 2001 Mustang GT" you will find U-Tube videos showing you how to do it.
Don't feel bad. 2-3 years ago I barely knew anything about cars so I decided to buy a motor & rebuild it to find out how everything worked. Between the Guys on this website & U-Tube I built a really nice motor. Now I know 1st hand how it all works & know I've been taken for a ride by auto repair shops. They would charge you at least $300 to change a Heater Core. You can get a new one on Ebay for about $40 & put it in yourself if you use U-Tube videos when you do it. Those videos have saved me tons of cash. I wont take my car to a repair shop again till I'm too old to fix it myself as long as I have U-Tube.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:37 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If you web search: "How to bypass the Heater Core on a 2001 Mustang GT" you will find U-Tube videos showing you how to do it.
Don't feel bad. 2-3 years ago I barely knew anything about cars so I decided to buy a motor & rebuild it to find out how everything worked. Between the Guys on this website & U-Tube I built a really nice motor. Now I know 1st hand how it all works & know I've been taken for a ride by auto repair shops. They would charge you at least $300 to change a Heater Core. You can get a new one on Ebay for about $40 & put it in yourself if you use U-Tube videos when you do it. Those videos have saved me tons of cash. I wont take my car to a repair shop again till I'm too old to fix it myself as long as I have U-Tube.

Alright man! Appreciate your help! Hopefully this stops soon I hate the smell already in my car

Old 11-28-2014, 10:40 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

You don't need anything but a screwdriver to bypass the heater core. When you bypass it no water will be going through the Heater Core anymore...therefore..no more leak.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:41 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You don't need anything but a screwdriver to bypass the heater core. When you bypass it no water will be going through the Heater Core anymore...therefore..no more leak.

Do I need to fill it up with anti freeze again when i by pass it?

Old 11-28-2014, 10:44 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

How do I bypass it? Like what do I need? I'm confused on what I need. Could I just clamp the hoses??

Old 11-28-2014, 10:47 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

If it gets below 32 degrees where you live you better use anti freeze or the water in your motor could turn to a block of ice & cause you to pop a Freeze Plug or even worse...Crack the Block. I'd put water first & make sure your problem is solved. After you know it's fixed....drain the radiator & add anti freeze.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:49 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If it gets below 32 degrees where you live you better use anti freeze or the water in your motor could turn to a block of ice & cause you to pop a Freeze Plug or even worse...Crack the Block. I'd put water first & make sure your problem is solved. After you know it's fixed....drain the radiator & add anti freeze.

It's 45 right now, and I probably should do that in the day time. Am I good right now tho? And could I just clamp the two hoses? Would that be okay

Old 11-28-2014, 10:51 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

You can't just clamp the hoses because the water wont circulate through the motor if you do that. Just watch a Video on it & you'll see how easy it is. You're worrying too much about a simple job anyone can do. Yeah...it's that easy & all you need is a screwdriver.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:52 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You can't just clamp the hoses because the water wont circulate through the motor if you do that. Just watch a Video on it & you'll see how easy it is. You're worrying too much about a simple job anyone can do. Yeah...it's that easy & all you need is a screwdriver.

I looked it up on YouTube and couldn't find one but il keep looking thanks man

Old 11-28-2014, 11:18 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

I just Googled it & it took me to about 20 videos on how to do it.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:21 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

It doesn't have to be the exact year. Just find one close to your year. The 99-04 will all be the same. In fact 94-04 will all be really close to the same.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:22 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It doesn't have to be the exact year. Just find one close to your year. The 99-04 will all be the same. In fact 94-04 will all be really close to the same.

Think you could send me a link?

Old 11-28-2014, 11:24 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

I was trying to copy the link but I'm not good on computers so I'll see if my son can do it. Give me a few minutes.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust