Clutch shimmy sound. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-30-2014, 07:28 PM   #1

Region: Ohio
Clutch shimmy sound.

Hey I have a 96 gt 5 speed that I just got a new clutch put in and the peddle has Vibrations that are all the time. It makes a knocking sound that comes and goes from the transmission. Had the throw out bearing changed with the clutch. Some times when you get out of the car and look at the clutch fork(I have the cover off) you can see a good amount of vibration. It does not matter if the car is moving or stopped.
Any ideas on where this noise is coming from? I have changed every clutch component possible too.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1417397241.190950.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	170590

Ben
sten37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2014, 07:58 PM   #2

Region: Texas
If it's an aftermarket performance clutch they will have more vibration and noise than stock clutches.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidowGT View Post
If it's an aftermarket performance clutch they will have more vibration and noise than stock clutches.

I think it is the clutch pivot ball. I had a friend put it in and he might not have put it at the right depth

Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2014, 09:51 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidowGT View Post
Completely false unless its a junk clutch or some crazy ceramic jobber or the lulzy thing that is the centerfoce. Something is wrong with his clutch or the installer boogered something up. Hell it could be as simple as the tob is not installed right on the fork. Some mechanics are idiots honestly. I'd go back to the shop and demand they fix it.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:54 PM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sten37 View Post
I think it is the clutch pivot ball. I had a friend put it in and he might not have put it at the right depth

Ben
Pivot balls in the t45 are fixed. Your friend ****ed something up on the install or you have a bad part. Time to pull it back out...

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Pivot balls in the t45 are fixed. Your friend ****ed something up on the install or you have a bad part. Time to pull it back out...

Yea thank you very much im gonna just take it out my self and make sure everything is right and to spec

Ben
Old 12-02-2014, 05:54 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If its the stock one then yes but if not then it could have an adjustable, i see no reason for it to be an adjustable in there but im just sayin, like scotty said it could be anything, u can also get clutch vibration from a warped flywheel too and something that could help is on our cable transmissions theres nothing to fully pull the fork away from the clutch so i got me a brake spring and attached it to the fork and the tranny so when the clutch is not pushed in it is fully pulled away so the throwout bearing isnt touching the pressure plate at all it helps from the annoying lil chirpy sounds that i use to get from it and also the lil bit of vibrration from the crappy flywheel i have

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
thyreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 06:39 AM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyreaper View Post
If its the stock one then yes but if not then it could have an adjustable, i see no reason for it to be an adjustable in there but im just sayin, like scotty said it could be anything, u can also get clutch vibration from a warped flywheel too and something that could help is on our cable transmissions theres nothing to fully pull the fork away from the clutch so i got me a brake spring and attached it to the fork and the tranny so when the clutch is not pushed in it is fully pulled away so the throwout bearing isnt touching the pressure plate at all it helps from the annoying lil chirpy sounds that i use to get from it and also the lil bit of vibrration from the crappy flywheel i have

This method is only a stopgap until one replaces the clutch and is actually really bad for the TOB and the clutch fingers. The TOB is designed to always be spinning, never still. Think about it, if the TOB is not touching the clutch what do you think happens when you push the clutch in at a higher RPM shift? The TOB goes from 0-5000+ RPM in a split second which is hell on it, hell on the clutch fingers and creates a lot of heat . Freeplay kits are a bad idea, period.

As far as the T-45, its a non-adjustable pivot ball. Whole thing needs to come out and have a thorough inspection of wtf is causing it to jump around like that. Could be the TOB is not on the fork right, fork might not be snapped into the ball properly or his friend didn't get the clutch properly seated on the flywheel and torqued evenly.

Also OP, I hope you had him change the flywheel too, if not, pick one up and have it ready to go beforehand. Putting a new clutch in with an old flywheel will lead to hotspots and future issues since it'll never break in properly.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:57 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Clutch shimmy sound.

Quote:
This method is only a stopgap until one replaces the clutch and is actually really bad for the TOB and the clutch fingers. The TOB is designed to always be spinning, never still. Think about it, if the TOB is not touching the clutch what do you think happens when you push the clutch in at a higher RPM shift? The TOB goes from 0-5000+ RPM in a split second which is hell on it, hell on the clutch fingers and creates a lot of heat . Freeplay kits are a bad idea, period.

As far as the T-45, its a non-adjustable pivot ball. Whole thing needs to come out and have a thorough inspection of wtf is causing it to jump around like that. Could be the TOB is not on the fork right, fork might not be snapped into the ball properly or his friend didn't get the clutch properly seated on the flywheel and torqued evenly.

Also OP, I hope you had him change the flywheel too, if not, pick one up and have it ready to go beforehand. Putting a new clutch in with an old flywheel will lead to hotspots and future issues since it'll never break in properly.

U may be on to something but ive seen hydraulic setups and the tob dont touch all the time , i think in theory i could see how it would be bad for it to go from 0 to 5500+ but i think it just dont put it under as much stress as u would think to go from 0-5500 cuz my friend did his and now has 60k on his clutch and counting and ive gone through 3 tobs and this one in the car is otw out the door but a week ago i put the springs to pull it away and also ordered me a ford racing tob ( the one from the ram clutch i have in there is whats in there atm so it should be a good one as well) however when it goes ( im hoping it makes it till it warms back up also known as spring) ima just pull the motor cuz i have another motor that i put modified valves in so i dont have to worry to much about ptv issues with a better cam and then tax time ima either get a 4v motor and build the bottom end for boost or ima just build the block that comes out for boost and stop at 500-600 hp seeing as tho its gonna be my DD and i dont care who u are a full interrior 600hp street car that has a.c still is very fun

thyreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:32 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
There's a youtube video showing how to correctly install the tob. Be sure to look at that. Whoever installed mine before I bought the car had the bearing on wrong.
Billgluckman is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT