Please help with my brakes!!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-01-2014, 07:27 PM   #1

Region: Virginia
Please help with my brakes!!!

So my mom has a '02 GT that she drives like a grandma and hasn't really had a stich of problems with it but just recently a brake issue has come up. Here's what I have. She called me a couple weeks ago saying she had a noise in her front end. I checked it out and sure enough one pad was starting to get to metal on metal. I noticed that the inner pad was wore slightly cooked so I told her I'd clean up the calipers good and keep an eye on it. Well she's been driving it for 2 weeks and today she called and said she had a horrible sound now. I drove the car and couldn't duplicate the sound but for safe measure I jacked up the front and sure enough the left front (which was were the pads were wore crooked) was very hard to turn so I went and got a reman. caliper and slapped it on and I after bleeding it good I have the same problem. The left front will hardly spin by hand but the right front is fine. I know there is a chance the caliper may be bad but I personally don't feel that's the problem but I'm just a shade tree mechanic so I know I may be wrong. When I got the caliper on and bolted up while I cleaned up I figured I'd let the caliper gravity bleed for a few minutes before manual bleeding it. I loosened the bleeder and within 5 seconds fluid was coming out. Not fast but coming out nevertheless so am correct in thinking maybe for some reason a p.valve or the antilock box could be putting pressure on just that wheel? Any way to check that? Thanks for the help fellas.
DeclansDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2014, 09:47 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Does the wheel loosen up and get easier to turn if you loosen the bleeder screw? It might be possible that one of your lines is partially clogged
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 04:10 PM   #3

Region: Canada
Make sure you didnt put a twist in the line when you installed the caliper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2014, 06:26 PM   #4

Didn't have a chance to check anything today but I'm pretty sure I didn't twist the line as I have done that before and know that drill. I have a feeling that the problem is either the rubber line is collapsing or just maybe the new caliper is bad. Soon as I get time I'm going to crack the bleeder and see if that helps. If so that would tell me the caliper is working correct? I picked up a new rubber line today for the heck of it, at least that'll be new also.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:36 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
New pads, new caliper and new disc...right? If you put new pads on a scarred rotor the pads with prob hang up. The pads need a smooth machined surface. Make sure the caliper piston will retract smoothly in its bore. Flush the system. Thats about the best a shade tree mechanic can do. Have to take it to a tech if 'new parts' don't bring it back...?
ddtmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 12:22 AM   #6
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
New lines in the front. I'm going through this now. Just waiting to have a few days to get my new lines in.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:06 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Did you replace or resurface your rotor? Don't really sound like a plugged line to me. Could not hurt to replace them anyway because of their age.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:50 PM   #8

Here's an update. I did get the rotors resurfaced. I cracked the bleeder and nothing happened. Some fluid trickled out but I still couldn't turn the rotor. So I pulled the line off and still to get the caliper off I had to pry it off with a lot of force. So this made me assume my reman caliper was indeed bad. So I went back and swapped it out and I had already bought a new line so I put it on too. Well after I bled it and all there was still quite a bit of resistance. I could turn it by hand but when I put the car in drive (auto) the car won't roll at idle. It used to roll freely idling. I drove it around for a few miles and when I got back the brakes weren't smoking like they were but it was definitely hotter than the pass side. I jacked it up and still had to use quite a bit if force to turn the wheel. I personally would take it to a pro but it's my moms car and she doesn't have the $$ to do that. So any more help would be appreciated.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:09 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Montana
Send a message via Yahoo to Jmustang78
If the car has ABS that might b an issue? Had the same exact issue on my Yukon and had to replace the ABS block.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Jmustang78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 02:55 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
I was thinking that too, if the rest of the brakes are fine its not the Master cylinder. Only thing left is the ABS controller if all the lines going to the brake are good.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 07:01 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

So, you have the brake line off of the caliper and still the pads are dragging fiercely on the rotor, with no fluid pressure? Sounds like the caliper is still hanging up. ? If the pads will not retract enough, the caliper is hanging up on the pins or the piston is sticking. I am thinking
Old 12-07-2014, 07:12 PM   #12

Abs was my initial thought but with the line off there is still pressure. I know that points me straight to the caliper, again. She's gonna drive it for a while and we'll see what happens.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:01 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Montana
Send a message via Yahoo to Jmustang78
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeclansDaddy View Post
Abs was my initial thought but with the line off there is still pressure. I know that points me straight to the caliper, again. She's gonna drive it for a while and we'll see what happens.

So this happened with the stock caliper and the reman... Did u get another caliper after that? If ur on ur 3rd caliper I'd be checking to make sure there isn't something bent ie guide pins etc.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Jmustang78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 02:13 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I havent worked one of these cars but do they have the floating or fixed calipers? If its floating then id check the pins. Maybe they got bent when the first caliper stuck? Or chech the hub for play or see if the bracket is bent something has to be tweaked for the pads to wear unevenly

Killing time isnt murder, it's suicide
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 05:53 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Order a new set of guide pins and lube them good

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Mfore33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:41 PM   #16

I'm on my 3rd caliper. The stock then 2 remans. They come with the new bracket and all so pins and all hardware is new. She drove it today and didn't have any noise or smell. Didn't see smoke or anything so maybe they are fine now.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:43 PM   #17

Region: Canada
check to see guide pins allow caliper to slide in and out from rotor,make sure pads are in correct and not wedged,,pump brake pedal to lock pads against rotors,undo the flex line bolt from caliper and see if pressure releases,if not,undo at brake line to flex line,and see if pressure releases,Ive seen a lot of calipers do this when flex lines go bad, they rot from inside and can go undetected`.Hope this helps.
sticky58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT