Hurst Shifter, Good or Bad? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-02-2014, 05:01 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Hurst Shifter, Good or Bad?

I am looking to replace the stock setup I have. I know I am antiquated, but when I was younger the Hurst Shifter was the way to go. Or is there a better one out there now?
Lamps3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2014, 05:42 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I had the hurst shifter in mine not too long ago and while it was probably the most comfortable shifter I have ever used, it actually made the shift throws longer since its so tall so I got rid of it. So, if your looking for a good short throw shifter I would probably go with something like MGW (my current shifter which is great).
Hurst makes great quality stuff and if your looking for comfort more than anything, its probably the way to go
Old 12-02-2014, 05:51 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Not really so worried about the length, but am more concerned with the smoothness of the shifting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2014, 07:16 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Well I'm only one person but I can tell you I thought it was extremely smooth and the most comfortable one I have personally used. Like I said, only reason I got rid of mine is because I wanted a really short throw
Old 12-02-2014, 07:49 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I had the steeda tri-ax in my '95 and my '98 cobra with no complaints. Huge improvement over stock.

2014 5.OHHHHHH
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:48 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I said MGW because I have it, Rapinator will say Barton, because he has it.

Looking for shorter throws? Go Barton..

Looking for a full complete setup? Go MGW.

All personal opinion, just do your research and look what you find more appealing to yourself.

Naturally Aspirated Is Lyfe
Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:37 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
This is the 96-04 forum, Barton does not exist here. And MGW is better regardless. Www.mgwltd.com

/thread

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:02 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

mgw- how hard of a install is this? Not much of a mechanic!!
Old 12-03-2014, 07:15 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

There's a video on their website. If you can turn a screwdriver you can install a shifter on a 04-down car. Its VERY easy.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:40 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Super easy to install short throw. Have steeda and not real happy with it.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
XSlashDashX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:18 PM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

I had no problems with the steeda besides it being really noisy. The MGW is better tho.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:22 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I did not install the steeda in my car but going in first is a pain sometimes. I'm assuming the guy didn't install it right since he used a gasket so who knows. Hoping its not tranny related.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:25 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSlashDashX View Post
I did not install the steeda in my car but going in first is a pain sometimes. I'm assuming the guy didn't install it right since he used a gasket so who knows. Hoping its not tranny related.

Do you have a 3650 or a t45? What year is your car?

Old 12-03-2014, 08:30 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

2000 GT. Recently did tranny flush with Pennzoil 3.2qs. The old fluid was red though. Pennzoil is smoother but first gear is the same. Have to use muscle to put in first. Rest is no problem.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:33 PM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

2000GT means you have a T45. I'd go out and make sure the person who put it in adjusted the stops right. If not, and its not getting into gear you could be boogering up the trans every time you drive it.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:41 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Adjusting the stops is the same way as the mgw? Saw a video of the install. Looks easy.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:03 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I installed the MGW very quickly and easily. The stops were pretty simple to do. Just put in in the correct gears (I think 3rd and 2nd?) and pull down on them, adjusting the stops so where they juuuust don't touch the shift rod. I believe thats how its done on all shifters but at least on MGW that's how its done
Old 12-03-2014, 09:12 PM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentap19506 View Post
I installed the MGW very quickly and easily. The stops were pretty simple to do. Just put in in the correct gears (I think 3rd and 2nd?) and pull down on them, adjusting the stops so where they juuuust don't touch the shift rod. I believe thats how its done on all shifters but at least on MGW that's how its done
Not if you have an 01-04. If you've got a 3650 trans you remove the stops or you could damage the trans. The 3650 has internal stops already.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:52 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

You're right, I forgot to mention that I have a 2000 gt with a t45
Old 12-04-2014, 06:36 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Super easy to install short throw. Have steeda and not real happy with it.

What dont you like about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I had no problems with the steeda besides it being really noisy. The MGW is better tho.
Very noisy. and clunky. didnt feel very "short" either, but that might be cuz i got used to it. In your own oppinion, if I already have a tri ax, would you say its worth seling and upgrading to a mgw? Or stick with what i got?

Quote:

For me, i wouldnt say first was a pain, but it was tougher than stock. but i have a 3650.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:34 AM   #21
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post
What dont you like about it?

Very noisy. and clunky. didnt feel very "short" either, but that might be cuz i got used to it. In your own oppinion, if I already have a tri ax, would you say its worth seling and upgrading to a mgw? Or stick with what i got?

For me, i wouldnt say first was a pain, but it was tougher than stock. but i have a 3650.
I'd say upgrade, I was going to with my 98 but I sold it. I had 0 issues hitting any gear in the 3650 with the Tri Ax and it was short but with that shifter and the tubular crossmember and the poly trans mount... it was too much. The MGW is quieter and they include dynamat that goes around the shifter. Another problem that most ppl with these older cars have is the factory rubber "underboot" is torn and lets noise/heat/crud in. You can get a new OEM one from Ford or just get a knock off for real cheap from AM. Its just as good actually.

And as far as the install... they are all the same no matter what shifter as far as installing on the trans. Differences happen depending on if you have a single piece like a B&M, a traditional one like the Pro 5.0/Hurst/Tri-Ax or the MGW. And those differences are just how the handle attaches and a few other misc things like installing the dynamat on the MGW.

Old 12-04-2014, 11:06 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Im gonna look into the underboot. The one on the plate is a bit worn. The one above it on the factory shifter, i tried putting on the tri ax. Havent tested it installed but seemed promising. But the mgw with a custom boot looks really nice. Ill probably sell the tri ax and save up for it using the stock for now.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 12-04-2014, 11:10 AM   #23
Staff
Regular
Staff

The MGW works so well at being quiet because of the bushings in the shifter and the way the lever attaches and also it has its own boot, then the Ford boot goes over that and THEN the dynamat goes around it.

Just make sure to not use one of the $10 orange shifter gaskets. For one, none of them fit right, even Cobrabob. Second, they ALWAYS squeeze out and leak fluid right onto your driveshaft which flings it onto the cats and then you smell burning for a week. Ask me how I know... Lay a bead of black RTV down and that's literally all you ever need.

Old 12-04-2014, 11:41 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
The MGW works so well at being quiet because of the bushings in the shifter and the way the lever attaches and also it has its own boot, then the Ford boot goes over that and THEN the dynamat goes around it.

Just make sure to not use one of the $10 orange shifter gaskets. For one, none of them fit right, even Cobrabob. Second, they ALWAYS squeeze out and leak fluid right onto your driveshaft which flings it onto the cats and then you smell burning for a week. Ask me how I know... Lay a bead of black RTV down and that's literally all you ever need.

Omg... I just had an epiphany...

When I owned my 01 cobra It used to smell "burnt" when accelerating going up hill. I'll be you anything this was the issue since I was using a gasket, not rtv. I always wondered what it was since the motor was in good shape, at least in terms of compression.

The ATF must burn clean then, huh? I never noticed anything on the surface of my exhaust.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Cbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 12:52 PM   #25
Staff
Regular
Staff

You won't notice it if you have cats especially. I pulled my catted BBK pipe out when I had to redo my clutch and there were big burned splatter marks on the top of the cats but nothing past the halfway point. The gaskets are one of those gimmicks that aren't needed and can only cause problems. I also always wondered if even that little bit of extra clearance between the shifter and the trans is throwing the pivot ball off at all. It definitely is going to move it up slightly.

What I usually do is get a can of "The Right Stuff" which is black RTV on steroids and it comes in a compressed can so its real easy to get an even bead when you lay it down. I make my "gasket" with it, let it tack up for like 5 minutes and then install the shifter.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:15 PM   #26
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
MGW

/thread

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT