2001 GT Engine Tick - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-03-2014, 03:41 PM   #1

Region: Idaho
2001 GT Engine Tick

Hey guys, this is my first post here and I thought I would start with a problem that I've been having with my 2001 GT. Since I got the car, I've had a ticking noise coming from the drivers side of the engine. The noise is very noticeable if you listen by the drivers side wheel. I've checked all the spark plugs on the drivers side and checked for any loose ones and didn't find any, however, there was some oil on the plugs. I took the car to my local ford dealership and they told me the sound was more of a tick than a knock and took the car in for work. There was a TSB on these motors for my year for a tick and the dealership went down the list of possible solutions. They changed the timing chain tensioners, the hydraulic lash adjusters (lifters), checked all the spark plugs, and confirmed that the rocker arms are in good condition. The only other solution they said according to the TSB was to replace the cylinder heads, which they said would cost almost 3 grand. I don't have the money for that and it would almost be worth it just to put a new engine in it. They said the cylinder head is just noisy and causes no damage to the engine. The ticking does get faster when the engines rpms go up. The oil pressure is good and when I pull each spark plug while the engine is running, the ticking continues, so I'm hoping that rules out a spun bearing or messed up rod, but I'm not the most knowledgeable in these things so I wouldn't know. If anyone has any suggestions to what this could be or had this problem, please let me know the outcome. If it is just noisy cylinder head, will it damage my engine, or is it just a noise issue like they said? Any information would be awesome! Here's a link to the video I took of the noise.
01GTSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2014, 09:42 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
There are a number of things that can cause the infamous "ticking" on these engines...
You can check for an exhaust leak but if there is no leak, and depending on the mileage of your car, my money is on it being the timing chains (Particularly the tensioners) that are causing the noise.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:22 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Sounded like mine. I had a broken valve spring.

2003 True Blue mustang gt
phillip433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2014, 09:04 AM   #4

I thought timing chain and tenisoners also since there's 106000 miles on the car, but oli got those fixed and the ticking continues. With the broken valve spring, was the tick mainly on the drivers side wheel area?
Old 12-04-2014, 09:24 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yes. Very loud. I think the problem here is something in the heads.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:27 AM   #6

Ford got those fixed**....The car still drives normally, has normal oil pressure, and the ticking does not stop when I unplugged the spark plugs. I'm hoping those are signs of it not being a rod or bearing about to go. If the ford guys are right and it's just noisy cylinder heads, is it really just a noise issue like they told me, or are they wrong and that could cause engine damage?
Old 12-05-2014, 10:41 AM   #7

Well, I think I decided that I really do not like this noise, and I'm considering just dropping a new engine in her. The ford guys told me for a brand new engine with a three year warrenty and installation would be 5500 bucks. You guys think its worth it?
Old 12-05-2014, 12:29 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Fuuuuuuuuuu no. Might as well drop a 4v in her.

---------- Post added at 06:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 PM ----------

Or a coyote.

Old 12-05-2014, 06:59 PM   #9

That's true. I actually just talked to a local place here about rebuilding the engine instead of getting a new one. They said I could probably rebuild and get stronger heads and a bigger cam for just about 5500. I think this may be the path that I'm going down because more horsepower and stronger parts for around the same price haha.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:38 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
had this exact ticking noise coming from my 99 in july, drove it around for about 1 week then that sound turned into a knock.. then drove around again for about 3 days and it completely went out.. get a new or lower mileage motor would be my suggestion

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Riverdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 11:43 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01GTSilver View Post
That's true. I actually just talked to a local place here about rebuilding the engine instead of getting a new one. They said I could probably rebuild and get stronger heads and a bigger cam for just about 5500. I think this may be the path that I'm going down because more horsepower and stronger parts for around the same price haha.

What is a stronger head ? And you have more than one cam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Judge_dredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 02:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdale View Post
had this exact ticking noise coming from my 99 in july, drove it around for about 1 week then that sound turned into a knock.. then drove around again for about 3 days and it completely went out.. get a new or lower mileage motor would be my suggestion

Dang man, that sucks. I know for sure now I'm either going to get a new engine or just rebuild the one I have, depending on the cost of the rebuild. I'm hoping that with the rebuild option, i could use 5500 to rebuild and possibly add some upgraded parts making for some more horsepower. But I'll just wait and see what the rebuild guys say on monday as far as a quote goes.

Old 12-06-2014, 02:45 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

im here in atlanta, and i got a used 03 ford explorer motor with 100,000 miles for $500 and the install was an additional $500.. swapped over the mustang gt parts to it.. runs perfect.. also if you are not too far, the shop i went to does motor rebuilding/machining for $1500 bucks

Old 12-06-2014, 03:20 AM   #14

Wow man, that's awesome! A friend of mine recommended a shop around my town that did all of his engine work for his 3 cars so I'm just waiting on a quote from them to see if I can get this rebuild on the way. I can't wait to finally get this car running perfectly.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:34 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01GTSilver View Post
Wow man, that's awesome! A friend of mine recommended a shop around my town that did all of his engine work for his 3 cars so I'm just waiting on a quote from them to see if I can get this rebuild on the way. I can't wait to finally get this car running perfectly.

good luck bro hope everything turns out nice for you.. nothing like a perfect running mustang!!

Old 12-06-2014, 09:50 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
My family knows a mechanic that said 1k install and you can get a motor with 60k on it for 800 or so. Screw 5500 lol

Yes I edit my posts a lot, auto correct likes to sabotage me!

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 11:28 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
My family knows a mechanic that said 1k install and you can get a motor with 60k on it for 800 or so. Screw 5500 lol

Yes I edit my posts a lot, auto correct likes to sabotage me!

This sounds about right. 2vs are common, and thus very cheap.

Installation of a new engine is also, in most cases, easier than heavy work on an existing motor.

Cbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT