Let's talk flywheel - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-04-2014, 08:36 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Let's talk flywheel

Ok so I replaced my old stage 2 spec clutch with another stage 2 spec clutch while I swapped to a t56 and I want to upgrade my flywheel. I was going to pick up a cobra flywheel but I want to get more educated on the advantages of aluminum flywheels vs steel flywheels. I heard that steel flywheels are more smoother than aluminum but aluminum is lighter. Can anyone add anything?

2003 True Blue mustang gt
phillip433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2014, 08:40 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I think why aluminum fly wheels are used since they are lighter is because it takes less power for the engine to spin it. So in a sense you get more power back? I think similar of how aluminum drive shafts work because it's less mass to rotate.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Oxford White Roush Stage 1 SN# 6925--SOLD but never forgotten!
Kona Blue GT premium - Slammed on BC's and BMR's full rear suspension
The_Chech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:47 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Oh I see. Well what are the negative effects of have a aluminum flywheel ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2014, 08:50 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
as far as smoothness idk, but like chech said, alluminum will be lighter, and with less rotating mass, there is less parasitic draw in hp, so more of your engine hp makes it to the wheels. But what i do know is that the lighter flywheels make revving up easier and quicker, getting you in your power band faster.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:20 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip433 View Post
Oh I see. Well what are the negative effects of have a aluminum flywheel ?

None that I can think of or have heard of. Possibly only that it cost more for one then getting your older stock one resurfaced

Old 12-04-2014, 09:21 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Ok well what aluminum flywheel would y'all recommend? Does it matter really?

Old 12-04-2014, 09:59 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

It'd get the same brand fly wheel as the brand you bought for the clutch.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:01 AM   #8
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
An aluminum flywheel is lighter and will help the engine rev faster, can feel more jittery though. A steel carries more momentum which is good for the initial clutch dump at a drag strip.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 10:03 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I'm going with the steel then lol.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:59 AM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
If you're going to get a Billet Steel one make sure to get the FRPP one.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-6375-f46a

Also order a dowel pin kit and new clutch bolts for it

Ford Racing Mustang Pressure Plate Bolt and Dowel Kit M-6397-A46 (Late 01-04 GT, Mach 1; 99-04 Cobra) - Free Shipping

The FRPP flywheel is for both 10.5" and 11" clutches and no clue why AM charges $50 more for the SR ones...

Or just get an iron one for $70 plus shipping.

More Information for AMS AUTOMOTIVE 167758

IMO there is no point in getting a crazy omfgwtfbbq flywheel for a street 2V. The heavier stock iron ones will help keep the RPMs from dropping much on the street between shifts.

edit: Make sure to google a rockauto discount code for 5% off if you do get that one. And ask an AM rep about the 6% forum discount code too.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:50 AM   #11
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Aluminum is more of a pain in the *** to drive on the street. Especially if the car has a heavy cam

Bullitts are better than Bullets

HID end all thread
Old 12-04-2014, 01:51 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Even if I don't get a aftermarket flywheel I should still get the new pins and dowel pins?

Old 12-04-2014, 01:59 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I scored a McLeod aluminum flywheel/pressure plate/clutch assembly off of one of Griggs cars for $100 a while back.
I needed an 8 bolt flywheel so this looked like a good deal and a way to lighten the car up a little. Otherwise, I would have been just as happy using the steel flywheel.
One of the guys that I autocross with has an aluminum flywheel in his 04 GT. He says that, initially, he had to adjust his driving habits a bit, but once he got used to the flywheel, that it isn't any problem at all as a daily driver.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 02:33 PM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip433 View Post
Even if I don't get a aftermarket flywheel I should still get the new pins and dowel pins?

See if it comes with them already in first. If not then order them. That one for $70 on Rockauto is hard to beat and likely is a resurfaced OEM unit which is just fine. It'll be a little lighter than a brand new one because some material was taken off during resurfacing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
I scored a McLeod aluminum flywheel/pressure plate/clutch assembly off of one of Griggs cars for $100 a while back.
I needed an 8 bolt flywheel so this looked like a good deal and a way to lighten the car up a little. Otherwise, I would have been just as happy using the steel flywheel.
One of the guys that I autocross with has an aluminum flywheel in his 04 GT. He says that, initially, he had to adjust his driving habits a bit, but once he got used to the flywheel, that it isn't any problem at all as a daily driver.
That's a real good deal, I'm guessing the mileage was low? Was it one of the flywheels with the removeable insert?

Also, to all 99/00 owners, those who swapped in 99/00 motors (like my old 98) or anyone with a forged 8 bolt crank. The Coyote flywheels are 11" 8 bolt units that work perfectly with all 4.6L motors that have an 8 bolt crank. I know because I just installed one in my 99 motor in June. All you need to do is tap out the Coyote dowel pins with a punch and install the stepped pins that come with the AM dowel pin kit for a modular clutch. I paid $100 for a brand new takeoff from a Coyote crate motor.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:26 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Yes. It's not like a Fidanza though... the insert is riveted to the flywheel but McLeod can either resurface or replace it for a reasonable price.
It probably has low miles but it came out of a race car so it likely wasn't broken in correctly.
It's not in bad shape but before I install the flywheel/clutch, I'm going to send it all to McLeod's service center and have them inspect it and do whatever needs to be done to make it all like new again. Luckily, they're located here in CA.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 03:52 PM   #16
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
See if it comes with them already in first. If not then order them. That one for $70 on Rockauto is hard to beat and likely is a resurfaced OEM unit which is just fine. It'll be a little lighter than a brand new one because some material was taken off during resurfacing.

That's a real good deal, I'm guessing the mileage was low? Was it one of the flywheels with the removeable insert?

Also, to all 99/00 owners, those who swapped in 99/00 motors (like my old 98) or anyone with a forged 8 bolt crank. The Coyote flywheels are 11" 8 bolt units that work perfectly with all 4.6L motors that have an 8 bolt crank. I know because I just installed one in my 99 motor in June. All you need to do is tap out the Coyote dowel pins with a punch and install the stepped pins that come with the AM dowel pin kit for a modular clutch. I paid $100 for a brand new takeoff from a Coyote crate motor.
That will also work for 01-04 if converting to 8 bolt i'm assuming?

HID end all thread
Old 12-04-2014, 04:23 PM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
That will also work for 01-04 if converting to 8 bolt i'm assuming?
Any 4.6L from 96-10 with an 8 bolt yes.

Old 12-05-2014, 11:28 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I have the fidanza alum flywheel with removable disk and i dont like it because the disk wear alot faster then a stock one, plus it will rev quicker yes and break traction easier but at the strip u really have to rev the hell out of it to get a good launch cuz u loose the initial momentum or " kinetic energy " but if u dont go to strip alot or whatever it does help ur car pull alil more after its moving and its kinda fun being able to break loose alil easier when u want and i wouldnt swear to it but i believed i got another mpg or so in my fuel milage

thyreaper is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT