Best MPG (5 speed) - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-08-2014, 05:58 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular
 
Panther140's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: xxx
Region: Other
Posts: 1,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelStander View Post
Bluetooth odb2 dongle.

I have a bafx works with new edge CPU.

That's the cheapest I found. The scan xl dongle is the best but is over a hundred.

I am going to look into that one! So do these things give you instant feedback about your mpg?
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-08-2014, 06:03 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular
 
WheelStander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 1,470
Real time stats or data log or both. Just load up dashCommand and open up the app you can see everything right there that it does
__________________
Induction: Kenne Bell | wHp: 515 Tq: 503 | 1/4 Mile:11.09@123
WheelStander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:05 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
MC770's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 1,761
My terminator got roughly 180 miles out of a tank of gas idk what mpg that was though lol
__________________
~2003 Zinc Yellow Terminator Cobra~
~482 RWHP / 487 LBS Torque~
MC770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-08-2014, 06:46 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular
 
fenixignition's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Clearwater, fl
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC770 View Post
My terminator got roughly 180 miles out of a tank of gas idk what mpg that was though lol
13. ish.
__________________
2002 GT 5sp. 16x,xxx miles
Steeda Exhaust, C&L plenum, BBK Throttle Body, Steeda Underdrive, Steeda short throw, unknown stage clutch. Rear main leak. Compressor seal leak. Steeda lower control arms. good tires.
fenixignition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:54 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular
 
Panther140's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: xxx
Region: Other
Posts: 1,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC770 View Post
My terminator got roughly 180 miles out of a tank of gas idk what mpg that was though lol
Im guessing you got more smiles per gallon than miles per gallon.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:02 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular
 
fenixignition's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Clearwater, fl
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
Im guessing you got more smiles per gallon than miles per gallon.
got the gas mileage of a hummer but he got to places waaay faster, lol
__________________
2002 GT 5sp. 16x,xxx miles
Steeda Exhaust, C&L plenum, BBK Throttle Body, Steeda Underdrive, Steeda short throw, unknown stage clutch. Rear main leak. Compressor seal leak. Steeda lower control arms. good tires.
fenixignition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:13 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
MC770's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 1,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
Im guessing you got more smiles per gallon than miles per gallon.
I have no idea what you would be talking about
__________________
~2003 Zinc Yellow Terminator Cobra~
~482 RWHP / 487 LBS Torque~
MC770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:33 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: 00
Region: Other
Posts: 1,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
SO guys, who is getting the best mpg here, and how do you do it? I am not sure what I am getting for mpg, but I drive my mustang 600 miles a week. Rain, snow, sleet, hurricanes, does not matter. Im in my stangalang iron-manning it out. But I wonder what cruising speed gets the best mpg.
The car seems happy at 75 mph in 5th gear. Is there a better speed/gear combo for getting me to school every day? I drive 2 hours round trip to school.. I could probably test out combos and post them here.
Like scotty said tire pressure good tune up and keep rpms 2k or under. My 96 cobra and 96gt with and 01gt engine both got around 22-23mpg on the interstate both where 5spd, had off-road h-pipe with flowmasters 3:27 gears. Use the cruise control, enjoy the A/C, avoid the temptation of flooring it, and keep your speed between 68-72 mph.
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:24 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular
 
Panther140's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: xxx
Region: Other
Posts: 1,473
I have to drive an hour to school in the morning. I just topped it off tonight. Its really icy out, so Im probably just going to go 4th gear at 2k rpms and report gas mileage here tomorrow night. The roads should be better on Wednesday and im gonna go 5th gear 2k rpms. Keeping in mind that it is 25 degrees out where I live, so the air is denser. More fuel is going to have to compensate for that of course.


I just checked my MPG now after driving 54 miles mostly in town. Only 16 of them were highway and I was not easy on it at all times. Got a 16.7 mpg average. Its cold out, theres lots of stoplights in my town, and I horsed around a bit. That's not bad mpg at all for how much fun the car is! Still way too excited about this car haha.
Maybe I should invent a "Hot Air Intake" for commuting and getting that extra .5 mpg lol
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:27 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular
 
Panther140's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: xxx
Region: Other
Posts: 1,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC770 View Post
I have no idea what you would be talking about
Im not saying you committed any traffic violations or anything of course lol.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:30 PM   #46
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
If its at 1k rpm, but not under heavy throttle I don't think its bad. But if you're engine is at 1k rpm and its getting the full volume of the cylinders filled with fuel/air, that's gonna beat it up when that combusts. That energy has to go somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post
Good to know. but yea, im talkin flat surface, minimal throttle, just keepin it moving forward. otherwise if theres an incline or need to speed up i throw it in 4th. Ill wait til 45 to shift up and see how that goes.
1k RPM in gear is still hell on the bearings and is not going to save any gas. You should not lug your motor under any circumstances. But not my motor so w/e.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:54 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular
 
Panther140's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: xxx
Region: Other
Posts: 1,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
1k RPM in gear is still hell on the bearings and is not going to save any gas. You should not lug your motor under any circumstances. But not my motor so w/e.
Theres a difference between lugging it and idling along in gear. If I am going down a slight decline at 25 mph and I put it at 1k rpm in the next gear up, is it still going to stress things inside the engine if I am Juust baaarreelly giving it gas? I don't think so, but when you give it gas at 1k rpm and the car starts vibrating, then you've given it too much. I could be wrong. Im not trying to make any claims here I just trying to look into it is all.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:41 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
I have to drive an hour to school in the morning. I just topped it off tonight. Its really icy out, so Im probably just going to go 4th gear at 2k rpms and report gas mileage here tomorrow night. The roads should be better on Wednesday and im gonna go 5th gear 2k rpms. Keeping in mind that it is 25 degrees out where I live, so the air is denser. More fuel is going to have to compensate for that of course.


I just checked my MPG now after driving 54 miles mostly in town. Only 16 of them were highway and I was not easy on it at all times. Got a 16.7 mpg average. Its cold out, theres lots of stoplights in my town, and I horsed around a bit. That's not bad mpg at all for how much fun the car is! Still way too excited about this car haha.
Maybe I should invent a "Hot Air Intake" for commuting and getting that extra .5 mpg lol
The case can be made that although the computer will compensate for the cooler, denser air charge, the engine will be producing more power thus requiring less of the air/fuel charge to do a certain amount of work.
Try driving 55 mph in fifth gear and see if that affects your mileage.
I'm thinking that you will probably lose some mpg's in fourth gear...
Driving at lower rpm's will increase your fuel economy to a certain point but, as stated earlier, you don't want to lug the engine. I will leave my car in fifth gear as low as 45 mph but I won't accelerate from that speed without a downshift. It will cruise at that low of rpm's with no problems though.

It's fun to see how many miles per gallon that you can achieve but "spirited " driving is a lot more fun than "economy" driving, and I don't drive my car very much anymore, so my mileage suffers accordingly... But it sure is fun! And that's why I have a Mustang in the first place.

Try your commute at 55 mph and report back to us. Also, just hand calculate your mileage when you fill your tank. Don't waste your time with those silly apps. They're about as accurate as the mpg computer in the newer cars... Which isn't very accurate at all!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:47 PM   #49
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Yup, I like fun more than economy. My car gets driven on weekends so economy usually isn't on my mind.


Bullitts are better than Bullets
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:10 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular
 
Panther140's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: xxx
Region: Other
Posts: 1,473
Yeah I drive 550+ miles on a week with the bare minimum. Usually more like 700 miles. So I cant afford to drive spirited all the time lol. I have a mustang because I don't want to spend 700 miles a week in a lame *** car that I hate haha.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:20 PM   #51
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
Yeah I drive 550+ miles on a week with the bare minimum. Usually more like 700 miles. So I cant afford to drive spirited all the time lol. I have a mustang because I don't want to spend 700 miles a week in a lame *** car that I hate haha.
If i had to drive that many miles i probably wouldn't have a Mustang honestly lol. As much as i love it i couldn't do that. Either that or i'd buy something cheap that gets 30+ mpg
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:32 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular
 
Panther140's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: xxx
Region: Other
Posts: 1,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
If i had to drive that many miles i probably wouldn't have a Mustang honestly lol. As much as i love it i couldn't do that. Either that or i'd buy something cheap that gets 30+ mpg
Yeah this mustang gets better mileage than the chevy suburban I was driving before haha. Plus I hate econoboxes with an absolute passion and this driving situation is temporary right now. so I just said screw it, Murica.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 04:55 AM   #53
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
MC770's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 1,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
Im not saying you committed any traffic violations or anything of course lol.
Lol, No never
__________________
~2003 Zinc Yellow Terminator Cobra~
~482 RWHP / 487 LBS Torque~
MC770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 05:04 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular
 
fenixignition's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Clearwater, fl
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelStander View Post
Real time stats or data log or both. Just load up dashCommand and open up the app you can see everything right there that it does
Did you buy the extended pids? It's an extra 9.95 but claims to do dealer level stuff. If it checks for real time mis fires and identifies cylinders then our more than pays for itself

Sent from my LG-D800 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
2002 GT 5sp. 16x,xxx miles
Steeda Exhaust, C&L plenum, BBK Throttle Body, Steeda Underdrive, Steeda short throw, unknown stage clutch. Rear main leak. Compressor seal leak. Steeda lower control arms. good tires.
fenixignition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:06 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular
 
WheelStander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 1,470
Sae pids givrs me all I need at this point.
__________________
Induction: Kenne Bell | wHp: 515 Tq: 503 | 1/4 Mile:11.09@123
WheelStander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:37 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular
 
fenixignition's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Clearwater, fl
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
1k RPM in gear is still hell on the bearings and is not going to save any gas. You should not lug your motor under any circumstances. But not my motor so w/e.
I just didnt know all this. I dont wanna grenade my transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
.
Driving at lower rpm's will increase your fuel economy to a certain point but, as stated earlier, you don't want to lug the engine. I will leave my car in fifth gear as low as 45 mph but I won't accelerate from that speed without a downshift. It will cruise at that low of rpm's with no problems though.
so at 40mph (3.27's) i should be cruising at just under 2krpm? same with 45? cruising at 2? I honestly dont know anyone or have family members that have driven a manual transmission in the last 20 years.
I do avoid making it "lug" or at least noticeably lug. I took advice from a camaro owner who used to drive a 99 mustang, he said shift at 40 and accelerate from there for best gas mileage. It wouldn't surprise me though if he was wrong about a lot of things.

sorry to derail this mpg thread into "5 speeds for idiots" thread.
__________________
2002 GT 5sp. 16x,xxx miles
Steeda Exhaust, C&L plenum, BBK Throttle Body, Steeda Underdrive, Steeda short throw, unknown stage clutch. Rear main leak. Compressor seal leak. Steeda lower control arms. good tires.
fenixignition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:11 AM   #57
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,606
Imagine back when you were a kid and you had your 21 speed bike..or a 10 speed Huffy because my parents were cheap bastards and I was the only kid without a 21 or 24 speed bike and never heard the end of it and it ruined me socially and I got into Mustangs to compensate because chicks love fast cars right? But then FatF came out and they all went after the tools with riced civics and here I am in my 91GT that would whoop all their asses in a race but no girls want me and I just sit up and night, knees under chin rocking back and forth and wondering what hell my life has become!.....

Whoah... lol j/k, if you need a car to get a girl that's sad. But I did never get that 21 speed bike haha.

Anyway, remember when you were on your bike and you are tooling along in a real high gear and you try to go faster and how hard it was to get the bike to speed up if you kept it in said gear? You'd work pretty hard being lazy to not select a lower "gear" on the bike to get the bike to accelerate even modestly when if you would have just "downshifted" you'd have put a lot less effort into making the bike speed up even though your legs would pedal faster. The burning in your legs as you try to speed up in 21st gear is the same thing your motor is "feeling" when you lug it.

If I am just driving lazily in the suburbs or in traffic (in my old SN95s with 3.73s), I just shift around 22-2500 rpm or really mostly just by ear. Most ppl who drive manuals don't even look at the tach unless they are pushing it to redline.

The fact that some people just say "shift into OD at 40 and go" with zero knowledge as to a rear gear ratio, final OD ratio, tire size etc... will let you know who the morons are honestly. You shift when you need to shift for that specific vehicle, not at any XYZ point.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:32 AM   #58
Registered Member
Regular
 
fenixignition's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Clearwater, fl
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,050
makes sense. So i just gotta keep at it until the shift brings the next gear high enough. Ill play around with it and see how it goes. just a big drop in rpms going from 4th to 5th, which left me confused for how high to let it go if im just cruising.
__________________
2002 GT 5sp. 16x,xxx miles
Steeda Exhaust, C&L plenum, BBK Throttle Body, Steeda Underdrive, Steeda short throw, unknown stage clutch. Rear main leak. Compressor seal leak. Steeda lower control arms. good tires.
fenixignition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:15 AM   #59
Lorraine's driver

Regular
 
ab_mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 7,863
Best MPG (5 speed)

I've averaged 17.9mpg in a years time, which is about my average since I bought her. This includes 2 to 6 track visits per year. I don't drive like a granny either, so I got no complainants lol.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1418141686.055558.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	542.1 KB
ID:	171412
__________________
Instagram: @ab_mach1
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:04 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Imagine back when you were a kid and you had your 21 speed bike..or a 10 speed Huffy because my parents were cheap bastards and I was the only kid without a 21 or 24 speed bike and never heard the end of it and it ruined me socially and I got into Mustangs to compensate because chicks love fast cars right? But then FatF came out and they all went after the tools with riced civics and here I am in my 91GT that would whoop all their asses in a race but no girls want me and I just sit up and night, knees under chin rocking back and forth and wondering what hell my life has become!.....

Whoah... lol j/k, if you need a car to get a girl that's sad. But I did never get that 21 speed bike haha.

Anyway, remember when you were on your bike and you are tooling along in a real high gear and you try to go faster and how hard it was to get the bike to speed up if you kept it in said gear? You'd work pretty hard being lazy to not select a lower "gear" on the bike to get the bike to accelerate even modestly when if you would have just "downshifted" you'd have put a lot less effort into making the bike speed up even though your legs would pedal faster. The burning in your legs as you try to speed up in 21st gear is the same thing your motor is "feeling" when you lug it.

If I am just driving lazily in the suburbs or in traffic (in my old SN95s with 3.73s), I just shift around 22-2500 rpm or really mostly just by ear. Most ppl who drive manuals don't even look at the tach unless they are pushing it to redline.

The fact that some people just say "shift into OD at 40 and go" with zero knowledge as to a rear gear ratio, final OD ratio, tire size etc... will let you know who the morons are honestly. You shift when you need to shift for that specific vehicle, not at any XYZ point.
I had no idea that you went through such hardships as a child Scotty... You were just a victim of bad timing, and frugal parents! Maybe you should build yourself a 21 speed bicycle. The coolest one on the block! Then you could ride it around and sneer at all of the kids on their "store bought" bikes... That'll show em!
lol
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:10 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular
 
fenixignition's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Clearwater, fl
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,050
Get 21 speed bike with a little motor on it.
swap it to a 4v.
supercharge it.
give it new gears.
and a tune.

Show all of them who's boss now.
__________________
2002 GT 5sp. 16x,xxx miles
Steeda Exhaust, C&L plenum, BBK Throttle Body, Steeda Underdrive, Steeda short throw, unknown stage clutch. Rear main leak. Compressor seal leak. Steeda lower control arms. good tires.
fenixignition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:34 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post
I just didnt know all this. I dont wanna grenade my transmission



so at 40mph (3.27's) i should be cruising at just under 2krpm? same with 45? cruising at 2? I honestly dont know anyone or have family members that have driven a manual transmission in the last 20 years.
I do avoid making it "lug" or at least noticeably lug. I took advice from a camaro owner who used to drive a 99 mustang, he said shift at 40 and accelerate from there for best gas mileage. It wouldn't surprise me though if he was wrong about a lot of things.

sorry to derail this mpg thread into "5 speeds for idiots" thread.
Haha.
This is getting sort of confusing.
You need to drive in the correct gear for the traffic conditions and the speed that you are traveling at.
45 mph in fifth gear, with 3.27's, is very low RPM's. Around 1200. That's too low for a 4-5 upshift in most cases but if I'm going down the freeway and traffic slows down to 45-50 mph, I usually just leave it in fifth gear and cruise at that low RPM until traffic speeds up again, and then either down shift or, if the other vehicles aren't speeding back up very fast, leave it in fifth gear and, VERY SLOWLY, accelerate back up to the speed of the traffic flow.
Like Scotty said, there are'nt any exact speeds because the cars can be different (gear ratios, etc.) and the terrain and traffic conditions play a big role in what gear to use at certain speeds.
Generally speaking though, under all conditions, the lower that you can keep the engine RPM's, the less fuel that the engine will use.
You just need to learn what your car likes as far as a good balance between fuel economy and not driving around lugging the engine.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:51 PM   #63
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Something that helps me a bit, from a start I go to about 2500rpm, shift to second, then go to about 3000-3250rpm and go straight to 4th. It works for me in the city because of my 4.10s, so time wise I'm only spinning the motor for another second. And it puts me right into the sweet spot for around town.

That's only when I am trying for mpg, which isn't often.


Bullitts are better than Bullets
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 04:20 PM   #64
Lorraine's driver

Regular
 
ab_mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 7,863
I never do any of that skip shift mularky. 1-2-3-4-5

If I'm driving normally, meaning civilized, I upshift at least by 2500rpm. I have 3.55's and for 1 and 2, I might shift closer to 2k rpm. Most of the time, tourque keeps Honda and Toyota driving soccer Mom's from zipping in front of me without looking. I'll drop a gear to keep it from boggin if needed. Just like StrayBullitt said, your's will be different because of the final gear ratio. To sum all that up into one sentence that would have saved everybody some time, would be this... I typically stay between 2500 rpm and bogging in whatever speed or gear that I'm in, except in 5th on the highway. Throw all that out if I'm being sporty with the Mach lol.
__________________
Instagram: @ab_mach1
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:39 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular
 
Panther140's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: xxx
Region: Other
Posts: 1,473
So today I drove 58.4 miles from one gas station to the other. about 8 of these miles wer in town. When I got to the pump, I believe I put in 2.4 gallons. I pulled the lever on the gas nozzle multiple times after it clicked off the first time just to make sure these numbers weren't wishful thinking. I calculated that I got slightly over 24 mpg. So on the interstate the average was probably 25 at least since I had 8 miles in town.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:41 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular
 
fenixignition's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Clearwater, fl
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,050
Sounds about where mine was at.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
2002 GT 5sp. 16x,xxx miles
Steeda Exhaust, C&L plenum, BBK Throttle Body, Steeda Underdrive, Steeda short throw, unknown stage clutch. Rear main leak. Compressor seal leak. Steeda lower control arms. good tires.
fenixignition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:30 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
So today I drove 58.4 miles from one gas station to the other. about 8 of these miles wer in town. When I got to the pump, I believe I put in 2.4 gallons. I pulled the lever on the gas nozzle multiple times after it clicked off the first time just to make sure these numbers weren't wishful thinking. I calculated that I got slightly over 24 mpg. So on the interstate the average was probably 25 at least since I had 8 miles in town.
That's probably about the best that you can expect.
Again, when I got that 27 mpg, it was an average of two tanks of gas, going in opposite directions, on the same stretch of relatively level interstate.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:47 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I never do any of that skip shift mularky. 1-2-3-4-5

If I'm driving normally, meaning civilized, I upshift at least by 2500rpm. I have 3.55's and for 1 and 2, I might shift closer to 2k rpm. Most of the time, tourque keeps Honda and Toyota driving soccer Mom's from zipping in front of me without looking. I'll drop a gear to keep it from boggin if needed. Just like StrayBullitt said, your's will be different because of the final gear ratio. To sum all that up into one sentence that would have saved everybody some time, would be this... I typically stay between 2500 rpm and bogging in whatever speed or gear that I'm in, except in 5th on the highway. Throw all that out if I'm being sporty with the Mach lol.
You probably remember, in the late 80's or early 90's, GM had the 4+3 transmission in the Corvette. It "skip shifted" automatically at low engine loads. I think that it proved troublesome for GM so they discontinued it... along with the 4-6-8 engine that Cadillac used in the early 80's that actually shut down either 2 or 4 cylinders, of a V8, depending on engine load.
Now, the trend seems to be towards multiple speed transmissions that can keep the engine right in it's "sweet spot" in the power band. I think that Chrysler has a ten speed!
As the CAFE standards increase in the coming years, we should see a pretty big jump in the overall (Cars/Trucks) fuel economy average of all of the automakers.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:18 PM   #69
Lorraine's driver

Regular
 
ab_mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 7,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
You probably remember, in the late 80's or early 90's, GM had the 4+3 transmission in the Corvette. It "skip shifted" automatically at low engine loads. I think that it proved troublesome for GM so they discontinued it... along with the 4-6-8 engine that Cadillac used in the early 80's that actually shut down either 2 or 4 cylinders, of a V8, depending on engine load.

Now, the trend seems to be towards multiple speed transmissions that can keep the engine right in it's "sweet spot" in the power band. I think that Chrysler has a ten speed!

As the CAFE standards increase in the coming years, we should see a pretty big jump in the overall (Cars/Trucks) fuel economy average of all of the automakers.

Haha yes! I do remember those lol.

When I test drove the 2015 with an auto, I was kinda surprised. I know it's not a 10 speed, but I was expecting to be "bothered" by the tranny shifting gears all the time, but I wasn't. Pretty cool. I wonder if they are going to start making 7+ speed manuals for the sports cars..?
__________________
Instagram: @ab_mach1
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:21 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular
 
Panther140's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: xxx
Region: Other
Posts: 1,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
You probably remember, in the late 80's or early 90's, GM had the 4+3 transmission in the Corvette. It "skip shifted" automatically at low engine loads. I think that it proved troublesome for GM so they discontinued it... along with the 4-6-8 engine that Cadillac used in the early 80's that actually shut down either 2 or 4 cylinders, of a V8, depending on engine load.
Now, the trend seems to be towards multiple speed transmissions that can keep the engine right in it's "sweet spot" in the power band. I think that Chrysler has a ten speed!
As the CAFE standards increase in the coming years, we should see a pretty big jump in the overall (Cars/Trucks) fuel economy average of all of the automakers.
Yeah CVT transmissions are getting popular among manufacturers too. I guess they are decent for a while, but when something goes wrong in them, they're just completely fried. Ill stick to my manual transmissions forever, because it makes me feel like im a savage mf'er and that's priceless lol.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
05-09 GT mpg vs 99-04 GT mpg GP3GT 2005-2010 Mustang GT 10 05-03-2013 04:08 PM
2012 GT 6 speed MPG FXDWG11bm 2011-2014 Mustang GT 44 09-01-2012 01:29 PM
MPG-MPG insidious_ruin 2011-2014 Mustang GT 26 07-19-2012 08:18 AM
Best Tune for MPG + power gains. tgmeyer 2011-2014 Mustang GT 6 07-15-2012 11:13 AM
Whats the Best MPG you have gotten on a long trip junoS197Bl08 2005-2010 V6 Mustang 30 07-30-2011 02:07 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



12:44 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.