Best MPG (5 speed) - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-09-2014, 09:24 PM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Haha yes! I do remember those lol.

When I test drove the 2015 with an auto, I was kinda surprised. I know it's not a 10 speed, but I was expecting to be "bothered" by the tranny shifting gears all the time, but I wasn't. Pretty cool. I wonder if they are going to start making 7+ speed manuals for the sports cars..?
They are talking about it for some cars. I forget which ones, maybe the vette? Im not sure, but the 7 speed would be awesome!!

And yeah I drove my buddies Charger with an auto trans and it was really smooth. It felt like CVT it was so smooth. Im not even sure how many gears it had because it was so damn smooth. When you sit in an airplane and it accelerates to 160 just seamlessly, that's what it was like lol.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2014, 09:27 PM   #72
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post
got the gas mileage of a hummer but he got to places waaay faster, lol
Maybe, unless there was a shortcut over a swamp and then a rocky hill climb that the hummer could take lol.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:58 PM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
I've had my '02 GT 5-speed almost two years and am averaging 22.6 mpg combined. My best hwy was a little over 27. I record all of my fuel purchases and check mpg with each fillup. I've found some parts problems because my mpg dropped suddenly.

Here are my driving characteristics:

-Don't lug the engine. It wastes gas and wears all of the internals.

-Shift around 2000 rpm for normal city driving on level roads when a quick acceleration is not necessary. That'll put you around 46mph to hit fifth gear.

-most of my highway driving is 57 to 65 mph. It just happens to be that. I'm not trying to drive fast or slow. I'm just staying with the traffic.

-I rarely use the A/C. I just don't need it much.

-keep the tire air pressure correct.

-maintain all fluid levels correct with quality fluids changed per specs.

-be sure the car rolls easily. I've replaced two sticking brake calipers.

-my rear gear is stock.

-I replaced my COPs and noticed Increased power immediately and better gas mileage on the next tank. I had one definitely bad COP and figured they were all at least a little sketch. Now, I figure the real problem was a bad boot.

-don't haul around unnecessary weight in the trunk or back seat.

Hope this helps.

Have a big Mustang day!
escottcarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2014, 11:13 PM   #74
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Keeping an eye on your gas mileage, especially if you have a consistent commute, is an excellent way to monitor the health of your engine.

I definitely think that we will see manual transmissions with more gears in the near future.
The multi-speed transmissions, both manual and automatic, and the CVT's, seem to really be helping the automakers meet the CAFE standards. Hell, they have full-size, half-ton trucks that get about 30 mpg nowadays. I don't think that would be possible without the current engine management technology AND the new transmissions.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 12:46 AM   #75
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I have a six speed...so my numbers aren't as direct of a comparison.

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 01:32 AM   #76
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
I have a six speed...so my numbers aren't as direct of a comparison.

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

What kind of mpg are you getting with your s197? v8 right?
Old 12-10-2014, 01:40 AM   #77
Registered Member
Regular

Im just pumped that I got 24 average mpg with it. Im gonna do the math to find my real interstate mpg tomorrow. Ill do that when my brain isn't fried from hours of this engineering homework. So I drove 40 miles on the actual interstate, 8 miles in town, and 10 miles on 45-55 mph highways. I get 17 mpg in town, I bet slightly better mpg on interstate than highways. The terrain isn't even extremely flat. its mid-Wisconsin terrain so mild rolling hills are common
Old 12-10-2014, 02:16 AM   #78
Registered Member
Regular

And don't worry guys, I still find time to drive the car like it was meant to drive lol. I found the most amazing little road to carve around on today. Probably the most fun I have had behind the wheel in a long time and I don't think I ever even broke 60 mph. And Im getting better at launches. They were tricky at first since I had never driven a manual car before. Still haven't stalled the car once tho!
Old 12-10-2014, 08:23 AM   #79
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
What kind of mpg are you getting with your s197? v8 right?
6, only pulling high 30s right now. In the summer 40+, and I set a record at a fuel economy competition where they sealed the gas caps for 49.42 corrected MPG. Search my build thread here or Ecomodder. I just uploaded my underbody build to their site.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
Old 12-10-2014, 08:50 AM   #80
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by escottcarp View Post
I've had my '02 GT 5-speed almost two years and am averaging 22.6 mpg combined. My best hwy was a little over 27.

-Don't lug the engine. It wastes gas and wears all of the internals.

-Shift around 2000 rpm for normal city driving on level roads when a quick acceleration is not necessary. That'll put you around 46mph to hit fifth gear.
thats the thing. a lot of areas around town are 45mph so thats when idk if i should speed up to 50 and go 5th, or just sit at 45 in 5th, or 40 at 4th, or anything in between. Its weird, it just feels like there's so much gas being used to hold it at that rpm, and if my foot isn't super steady, ill be going 55 before i realize it.

Quote:
-I replaced my COPs and noticed Increased power immediately and better gas mileage on the next tank. I had one definitely bad COP and figured they were all at least a little sketch. Now, I figure the real problem was a bad boot.
Yea i still need to replace a couple boots. I ended up replacing a bunch of coils with BWD coils from advance.

Quote:
-don't haul around unnecessary weight in the trunk or back seat.
yea.... about that..... lol.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:27 PM   #81
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
thats the thing. a lot of areas around town are 45mph so thats when idk if i should speed up to 50 and go 5th, or just sit at 45 in 5th, or 40 at 4th, or anything in between. Its weird, it just feels like there's so much gas being used to hold it at that rpm, and if my foot isn't super steady, ill be going 55 before i realize it.

Yea i still need to replace a couple boots. I ended up replacing a bunch of coils with BWD coils from advance.

yea.... about that..... lol.
50 should be 5th gear, but your best engine performance will dictate speed. For me, 57-59 is the same FE as 54-59, so I keep 59 in a 55.

As others have stated, OBDii reader. I always suggest the SCii.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:30 PM   #82
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
50 should be 5th gear, but your best engine performance will dictate speed. For me, 57-59 is the same FE as 54-59, so I keep 59 in a 55.

As others have stated, OBDii reader. I always suggest the SCii.

Different transmission and different engine.

The thing that sucks about these cars with stock gearing is that 5th gear at 50 actually bogs the engine, but 4th gear spins it too high. When I had stock gearing I made sure to be at 60 whenever I'm in 5th

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 05:40 PM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post

The thing that sucks about these cars with stock gearing is that 5th gear at 50 actually bogs the engine, but 4th gear spins it too high. When I had stock gearing I made sure to be at 60 whenever I'm in 5th

doesnt the automatic try to cruise at lower rpm like 1200? or is this another case of different transmission, different animal?
Old 12-10-2014, 05:40 PM   #84
ME Bloodhound
Staff

The overdrive in the automatic isn't as steep. So it actually cruises at a higher rpm at the same speed.

HID end all thread
Old 12-10-2014, 05:42 PM   #85
Registered Member
Regular

nah i meant shift points. like, i remember reachin 40 and letting off the gas, then it shifted to overdrive and stayed below 1500 unless i pushed the gas a bit harder.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:38 PM   #86
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Interesting! Just cruising along, the 3.7 is fine with as low as 29 MPH in sixth. Though I would never push the engine, she chugs along without vibration or high engine load. Just gotta downshift to get going faster, unless it is real steady.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:43 PM   #87
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
nah i meant shift points. like, i remember reachin 40 and letting off the gas, then it shifted to overdrive and stayed below 1500 unless i pushed the gas a bit harder.
The auto will do what it is programmed to do. Remember, you have a converter in the equation with the auto too which will be unlocked at 1500.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:44 PM   #88
ME Bloodhound
Staff

The engine will operate at that low rpm. But you will get worse mpg and won't be able to accelerate. 1500 is the minimum rpm I'd be at on the highway. Which at 50 is neither 4th or 5th gear.

HID end all thread
Old 12-10-2014, 06:49 PM   #89
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
The engine will operate at that low rpm. But you will get worse mpg and won't be able to accelerate. 1500 is the minimum rpm I'd be at on the highway. Which at 50 is neither 4th or 5th gear.

Lol, it is with a 26.5" rear tire and a .62 overdrive and 3.73s.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:06 PM   #90
Registered Member
Regular

I definitely get better MPG in 6th than any other at 29 or higher, as long as I am maintaining speed. A hill or brisk acceleration can definitely demand a downshift, though.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:41 PM   #91
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
I definitely get better MPG in 6th than any other at 29 or higher, as long as I am maintaining speed. A hill or brisk acceleration can definitely demand a downshift, though.

Yea I don't really maintain speed lol. Almost always accelerating, or slowing down, even on the highway.

HID end all thread
Old 12-10-2014, 08:55 PM   #92
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

So if you were in my 99 GT going on the interstate, how would you drive it?

Would you listen to the engine and try to hear the lowest RPM in 5th where it still sounds happy? Or would you drive the lowest RPM that you can maintain speed at without needing to actually bog the engine?

Yes I do think there is a difference between cruising on flat at 1500 rpm and bogging at 1500 RPM. The difference to me is in throttle position
Old 12-10-2014, 09:23 PM   #93
Registered Member
Regular

I'd plug in my SCii, UG, and logger (and of course my two splitters) and monitor what the car likes the best. If there were any curious areas, drive the route one way on day 1, the other day 2, then compare data.

It depends on what the car can comfortably handle. How level? How steep can the car handle?

I have had people with 11+s GTs tell me they can't drive their cars in 6th under 40, because it causes some catastrophic damage...not sure what they are doing wrong or what's wrong with the car, but they have been in situations that it doesn't work. When I go to NC, at 60 MPH flat or uphill, I hold 60 unless engine load is high- then 5tj, then 4th, and I don't recall every feeling 3rd would be better. I'd get an instrument, and do what feels right.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:21 PM   #94
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:

That's why I'd like to do a T56 swap. They actually have kits with everything you need. It's pricy, but it would be pretty awesome.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:25 PM   #95
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:

The MT82 is 1:1 in 5th, if I remember right. The TR3650 and T45 are 1:1 in 4th. But, does the MT82 have that huge gap between 5th and 6th?
Old 12-10-2014, 10:32 PM   #96
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'd plug in my SCii, UG, and logger (and of course my two splitters) and monitor what the car likes the best. If there were any curious areas, drive the route one way on day 1, the other day 2, then compare data.

It depends on what the car can comfortably handle. How level? How steep can the car handle?

I have had people with 11+s GTs tell me they can't drive their cars in 6th under 40, because it causes some catastrophic damage...not sure what they are doing wrong or what's wrong with the car, but they have been in situations that it doesn't work. When I go to NC, at 60 MPH flat or uphill, I hold 60 unless engine load is high- then 5tj, then 4th, and I don't recall every feeling 3rd would be better. I'd get an instrument, and do what feels right.

How much gas can I buy for the price of that equipment? lol just kidding. I have to get stuff like that anyway
Old 12-10-2014, 10:32 PM   #97
ME Bloodhound
Staff

What i would love in a transmission

The gearing of an MT82
The Bulletproofness of a 6R80
Paddle shifters.

So if y'all got any ideas let me know lol. There is actually a pretty nice kit that can give you paddles in some of the Ford transmissions, not like a dual clutch that shifts at 50 milliseconds, but still pretty fast and lets you control with paddles. If i could some how figure out how to mount a 6R80 to my car i would be happy.

HID end all thread
Old 12-11-2014, 09:51 AM   #98
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
What i would love in a transmission

The gearing of an MT82
The Bulletproofness of a 6R80
Paddle shifters.

So if y'all got any ideas let me know lol. There is actually a pretty nice kit that can give you paddles in some of the Ford transmissions, not like a dual clutch that shifts at 50 milliseconds, but still pretty fast and lets you control with paddles. If i could some how figure out how to mount a 6R80 to my car i would be happy.
That trans going in the 350 might be it... Maybe frpp will release a kit for Coyote/4.6 owners?

IIRC, the 2015 MT82 is improved and with the new MGW shifter... Heck can't think of a much better starting platform than a 2015+ GT M6 for you road racing types. Unless the Alpha Camaro is as crazy as the rumors anyway.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 12-11-2014, 10:30 AM   #99
ME Bloodhound
Staff

They all bolt up to the motor, but how would it actually mount up to the chassis of the car being linkage and not top mount

HID end all thread
Old 12-11-2014, 10:53 AM   #100
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
i can see what your saying with that, but my transmission will break off from my car and pull me out of my seat to kick my *** on the street if i tried driving driving 5th at 30mph. thats when it would pull down below 1000rpm and noticeably bog. at 35 it will go but it will make a different tone that certainly feels uncomfortable. 40 is where it starts to go away. accelerating from 40, is usually just tapping my big toe on the gas pedal, any more would require 4th to not make a struggling sound in the exaust.

Quote:

60 at 5th would defenitely drop the rpm right in the safe zone according to you guys. what i find odd, and forgot to mention long ago, is the owners manual that came with the car actually said for best fuel efficiency, use these shift points:
11mph - 2nd
20mph - 3rd
31mph - 4th
40mph - 5th

not the exact numbers, a couple im sure are a mile or 2 off. ill double check after work.

but according to you guys, following that would be a recipe for disaster. hence, my confusion. (not doubting you guys)
Old 12-11-2014, 11:08 AM   #101
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Don't listen to the owners manual lol

HID end all thread
Old 12-11-2014, 01:00 PM   #102
Registered Member
Regular

Those shift points are not meant to be combined with any real amount of throttle. That's cruising speeds. Just enough gas to overcome wind resistence/friction.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:29 PM   #103
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
The MT82 is 1:1 in 5th, if I remember right. The TR3650 and T45 are 1:1 in 4th. But, does the MT82 have that huge gap between 5th and 6th?
Missed this. Yes it does fall off like that. The MT82 has a nice close ratio 1-5 with a steep 1st to help the Coyote get going but 6th gear is .65 as compared to a .68 of a T5/45/3650 (or .62 for a 02-04 3650). Its a real good ratio trans for the Coyote but, IMO, a 7 speed manual needs to be in the Coyote with a .80 6th gear and then something like a .62-.65 final overdrive as 7th.

That's one thing I have to explain to ppl alot when they start talking about the 6 speeds in the Cobras. They think its a normal 5 speed with a super deep overdrive gear, it isn't. The extra gear is the 5th gear between 1:1 and final OD, not a super steep 6th. The 03/04 Cobra has the exact same final overdrive as the GT and the Mach do, they just have a .80 gear in between 1:1 and .62.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT