Clutch Question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-08-2014, 07:35 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Clutch Question

So recently my clutch has been making all sorts of noise, when its cold outside, and the clutch is not touched, it makes almost a swirling type noise, when I go to the floor it makes an even louder squeakish noise, and when the car gets up to temp there is no noise at all when you keep your foot off the clutch, still makes some noise when pressed to the floor but not nearly as much when cold..now I'm assuming this is going to be my throw out bearing, but when it warms up it shifts like butter and the clutch grabs great. My question is could this maybe just be an adjustment issue? Or is this a common symptom when the TOB starts to go out? Just wondering if I should hop on replacing the entre clutch asap, or if I get some more time out of it by getting maybe an adjuster/quadrant, and new cable possibly, funds are just a bit tight with Xmas around the corner..thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2014, 08:54 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
were you the one with the napa bearing? Where youlive and what temp ranges are you in? here in FL (clearwater) were hittin high 50s in the morning and a high of 70, so cold, mine squeaks until i press the clutch. if it squeaks when you press the clutch pedal, then it sounds like throwout bearing. Maybe not on its way out, but probably some wear. I've always been told that the cause is listed as "not yet up to operating temperature." so all i got from that was "tr3650 is noisy if cold."

Mine makes a noise, somewhere between "grinding" and "rattling" in 5th gear if the transmission isnt warm yet. I guess its a similar bearing issue, where it needs to warm up.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:15 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
If it's making noise and your not touching the clutch it could be pilot bearing

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FanOfSkynyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2014, 10:02 AM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Easy to see if its the pilot. Push the clutch in and if it starts to make noise with the clutch fully disengaged then its likely the pilot.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:22 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Easy to see if its the pilot. Push the clutch in and if it starts to make noise with the clutch fully disengaged then its likely the pilot.

figures, i had it backwards. neutral, running, foot off the pedal, and squeaking, that would be tob then?
Old 12-08-2014, 10:38 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yes. The pilot engages when the input shaft of the trans stops moving which happens when you push in the clutch pedal.

2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 03:24 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post
were you the one with the napa bearing? Where youlive and what temp ranges are you in? here in FL (clearwater) were hittin high 50s in the morning and a high of 70, so cold, mine squeaks until i press the clutch. if it squeaks when you press the clutch pedal, then it sounds like throwout bearing. Maybe not on its way out, but probably some wear. I've always been told that the cause is listed as "not yet up to operating temperature." so all i got from that was "tr3650 is noisy if cold."

Mine makes a noise, somewhere between "grinding" and "rattling" in 5th gear if the transmission isnt warm yet. I guess its a similar bearing issue, where it needs to warm up.
I believe you're thinking about me with the napa bearing.
Billgluckman is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT