SR Performance short throw shifter install - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-30-2016, 12:40 AM   #36
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
SR Performance short throw shifter install

I've always had a blocky feel when you first start it and go right away after starting it when it's cold, but it would go away very shortly after moving down the street. By the time you were out of the neighborhood, it was fine and smooth. Since summer started, it gradually took longer and longer for it to feel right. Finally it would not feel right unless it was like after a 30 min drive lol. And even then, you'd be at a stop light struggling to get it in gear on occasion. If it was consistent, I don't know if I'd suspect the shifter, but on random occasions, it will go into gears easily when it's cold. I just think the shifter is not right.

IG: @rcodemach1
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2016, 12:41 AM   #37
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
No! Don't do it!! She's too clean to get salty. Lol

I am curious to hear if the shifter was the cause. I too, have had this blocky feeling when the car is cold. It's more noticeable when slowly shifting into 3rd on my car. I am stock shifter, factory 3650. I assumed it was a synchro starting to act up but maybe it is my stock shifter for some reason.
That's a common issue with the 3650. Have you done a drain and fill since you've had the car? The factory trans fill was 3.8 quarts, this was revised to 3.2 quarts due to windage issues.

The other problem is a simple manufacturing defect in many of the 01-04 3650s where one of the shift forks was off just a tad causing a nibble or even a grind into gears when cold (or when warm). Sadly the only fix is a rebuild with all the factory TSBs done and at that point the 3650 becomes one hell of a transmission.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 12:47 AM   #38
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcodemach1 View Post
I've always had a blocky feel when you first start it and go right away after starting it when it's cold, but it would go away very shortly after moving down the street. By the time you were out of the neighborhood, it was fine and smooth. Since summer started, it gradually took longer and longer for it to feel right. Finally it would not feel right unless it was like after a 30 min drive lol. And even then, you'd be at a stop light struggling to get it in gear on occasion. If it was consistent, I don't know if I'd suspect the shifter, but on random occasions, it will go into gears easily when it's cold. I just think the shifter is not right.

As I posted above, it might be the beginning of the 3650 merry go round that so many others have gone through. The 01-04 units are notorious for having problems. Try a 3.2 quart fill of Pennzoil Synchromesh and make damn sure you have not been setting the stops on your aftermarket shifter. The 3650 has internal shifters and setting the stops on aftermarket units can cause them to not fully engage and damage the trans over time. I have zero clue why 3650 shifters even have stops.

TSB for these transmissions is a redesigned syncrho and fork to stop the cold issues and allow high RPM shifting with zero problems. The fresh 3650 I had in my 98 with all the TSBs done would RIP into gear at 6K with zero complaints dead nuts smooth. No problems when cold either.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2016, 12:55 AM   #39
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
As I posted above, it might be the beginning of the 3650 merry go round that so many others have gone through. The 01-04 units are notorious for having problems. Try a 3.2 quart fill of Pennzoil Synchromesh and make damn sure you have not been setting the stops on your aftermarket shifter. The 3650 has internal shifters and setting the stops on aftermarket units can cause them to not fully engage and damage the trans over time. I have zero clue why 3650 shifters even have stops.

TSB for these transmissions is a redesigned syncrho and fork to stop the cold issues and allow high RPM shifting with zero problems. The fresh 3650 I had in my 98 with all the TSBs done would RIP into gear at 6K with zero complaints dead nuts smooth. No problems when cold either.

Yup, I actually have Pennzoil in there now. I posted up what I did here earlier, but I also believe my tranny being new might have the updates from the TSB already done to it. I got it new in late 2012. Plus I've always had zero issues with it before getting the SRPro shifter. We will see though because you never know lol.

Old 01-30-2016, 12:58 AM   #40
Staff
Regular
Staff

I once had a B&M shifter lock a T-5 into 5th gear so... anything is possible.

Old 01-30-2016, 12:15 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
That's a common issue with the 3650. Have you done a drain and fill since you've had the car? The factory trans fill was 3.8 quarts, this was revised to 3.2 quarts due to windage issues.

The other problem is a simple manufacturing defect in many of the 01-04 3650s where one of the shift forks was off just a tad causing a nibble or even a grind into gears when cold (or when warm). Sadly the only fix is a rebuild with all the factory TSBs done and at that point the 3650 becomes one hell of a transmission.
Thanks for the info. I will do a drain and fill to 3.2 when I get the car out this spring. I guess I'll worry about doing the updates once she gives out, which may happen soon if I make it out the track as much as I am planning on this season. At that point I may just upgrade, we'll see.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 12:26 PM   #42
Staff
Regular
Staff

I would not put anything back into a 4.6L except a t45 or 3650 unless it had a PD blower or a turbo on it. Or if you are only road racing and want the gearing for that.

For a street car 4.6L that needs a little extra help down low you want that 3.37 first gear that the t45 and 3650 have. The T45 can be built pretty well but the 3650 can be made into an absolute monster as aftermarket gearsets are available and the triple rail design does allow it to handle more power. Not quite as smooth but... that 3650 I had in my blue 98 was damn smooth. Thing basically fell into gear at 6K going from 1st to 2nd with a Tri-Ax.

Old 01-30-2016, 03:03 PM   #43
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Well, I went ahead and got her out today. I was so curious to see if my probs was the shifter.

Sure seems like it was the shifter causing the abnormal gear blocking. The tranny acted more like it did before last summer hit. It's always clunky before it gets warmed up, but I was able to shift into all gears by the time I got out of the hood. Maybe I got a lemon lol. Anyway, at least I only paid $75 for it. On to a new short shifter.

Old 01-30-2016, 03:31 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcodemach1 View Post
Well, I went ahead and got her out today. I was so curious to see if my probs was the shifter.

Sure seems like it was the shifter causing the abnormal gear blocking. The tranny acted more like it did before last summer hit. It's always clunky before it gets warmed up, but I was able to shift into all gears by the time I got out of the hood. Maybe I got a lemon lol. Anyway, at least I only paid $75 for it. On to a new short shifter.

Glad to hear you identified the cause. Get a Tri-Ax! Real nice shifter, I have one but it's not installed yet, but I have heard nothing but good things.
Get ahold of AM, return it for a refund seeing how you are not satisfied with the product.
If not, throw the SR on craigslist, someone will pick it up for $50 just looking for an improvement over stock.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:51 PM   #45
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Well, been going back and forth trying to decide, so I broke it down to secondary pluses and minuses lol.

Since the MGW is supposed to be quieter than other short shifters and has more handle adjustment options, I've decide to go MGW with the comfort handle. Just waiting on my tax return to order. Yay!

Old 02-06-2016, 02:56 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

You'll love it man.

Sent from my LG-H634 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
19robby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:33 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
MGW is a fantastic shifter! Have it installed in my car. Really smooth!

Sent from my LGLS990 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1454769175725.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	196716  
XSlashDashX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:38 PM   #48
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Just ordered my MGW today. I went with the comfort handle because I'm short lol. I can always buy another handle if I feel like I can reach further away. Can't wait to get it. Anybody remember how long it took to get theirs when they ordered from them direct?

Old 02-12-2016, 10:13 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Took about a week and a couple days

Old 02-12-2016, 10:14 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Worth the wait!

Old 02-12-2016, 11:06 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Bout a week wait

XSlashDashX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:30 AM   #52
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSlashDashX View Post
Bout a week wait

Same here, not too long. Can't believe how well they packaged the shifter up. The SR Performance shifter I had was in a box with no padding, plastic, or even wadded up news paper lol.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT