SR Performance short throw shifter install - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-09-2014, 10:39 AM   #1
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
SR Performance short throw shifter install

I bought an SR Performance short throw shifter from American Muscle on cyber Monday for $75!! I also bought a set of Cobra Bobs stang shifter gaskets for the install cause I hear so many good things about them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1418142101.349730.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	998.7 KB
ID:	171413

The box was a little beat up from Ace Ventura, but the shifter was fine.

It took me about 1hr 45mins to install last night in my broken down garage. It was 36 deg and no electricity but I was determined lol.

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1418142324.199705.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	959.1 KB
ID:	171414
^removed the shifter knob and boot jobby.

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1418142389.088961.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	695.1 KB
ID:	171415
^Removed the shifter handle so uncoils get the inner boot off. Look at that squishy rubber isolator!

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1418142463.420255.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	171416
^Removed the inner boot

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1418142490.314018.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	904.0 KB
ID:	171417
^Getting off the shifter is pretty easy really. See ho I used my socket wrench to pry up the stock shifter? It overhangs so it was easy peasy.

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1418142568.024866.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	919.8 KB
ID:	171418
^Cleaned off the tranny shifter base really good. Make sure that silicone junk doesn't get into the tranny.

Name:	IMG_3009.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	171425
^Don't forget to transfer the little black(red or brown) cup over to your new shifter on the bottom tip that inserts in the tranny.

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1418142631.720006.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	171419
^Put my gasket down and mounted the shifter. I torqued to about 13lbs, so we'll see how well the gasket does.

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1418142711.559289.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	998.2 KB
ID:	171420
^Installed the inner boot, shifter handle gasket, and shifter handle. Big meaty metal!

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1418142787.133991.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	794.9 KB
ID:	171421
^Got the leather boot jobby and shifter knob back on and DONE!

It really wasn't that noisy and didn't bother me any. Maybe that's the gaskets working..? The shifts are short and crisp. The shifter centers really well. So much so that it's really easy to drive normally too. You have to use a little more push to get over to 5th and Reverse, but it was kinda like that with my stock shifter too really. I can go into all hears easily though and am impressed with this shifter so far. Can't wait to go hear slammin' on a dry day!
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2014, 10:40 AM   #2
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Here's a shot I took this morning.

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1418143217.164841.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	986.0 KB
ID:	171423
Old 12-09-2014, 10:46 AM   #3
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Hey Azure! Looking good and thanks for posting a write up and review! This was definitely something that I kicked myself for installing towards the end of owning my '01 and I really wish I did it earlier! I hear you on 5th and reverse but It should loosen up in time. Be careful catching 3rd f you're goosing her!

Enjoy!
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2014, 10:57 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
hey we have similar shift knobs.
just make sure you remove those stop bolts. the 3650 doesnt need em and if they stick out too much, it can cause issues.
i noticed red fluid in there. im sure some people are gonna suggest switching to synchromesh.
nice writeup tho. ill link people here if they ask how to install these.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:08 AM   #5
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAlexLazarus View Post
Hey Azure! Looking good and thanks for posting a write up and review! This was definitely something that I kicked myself for installing towards the end of owning my '01 and I really wish I did it earlier! I hear you on 5th and reverse but It should loosen up in time. Be careful catching 3rd f you're goosing her!

Enjoy!

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post
just make sure you remove those stop bolts. the 3650 doesnt need em and if they stick out too much, it can cause issues.
i noticed red fluid in there. im sure some people are gonna suggest switching to synchromesh.

Thanks! I've read that too about the stops. I moved to where there was about 1/8" between them and when it's in gear. Also, I use Mobile 1 synthetic ATF in my tranny. It's one of the suggested fluids according to Tremec.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:15 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Thanks!

Thanks! I've read that too about the stops. I moved to where there was about 1/8" between them and when it's in gear. Also, I use Mobile 1 synthetic ATF in my tranny. It's one of the suggested fluids according to Tremec.
good stuff. and also, the short shifters do normally take a bit of muscle to push em in gear. one thing about it, is the loss of leverage with it being shorter. But the shorter throws just make it feel a lot easier, even with regular driving. Some people claim the gasket leaks, but personally, i dont think youl have a problem with it if its torqued evenly like you did. Keep an eye on it and let us know how it goes.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:50 AM   #7
Site Sponsor

Quote:
good stuff. and also, the short shifters do normally take a bit of muscle to push em in gear. one thing about it, is the loss of leverage with it being shorter. But the shorter throws just make it feel a lot easier, even with regular driving. Some people claim the gasket leaks, but personally, i dont think youl have a problem with it if its torqued evenly like you did. Keep an eye on it and let us know how it goes.
^This-They can definitely be a little bit stubborn on colder days. I had a friend that had one on his Cobra and it was downright disconcerting to drive! I've heard this about the gasket as well and OP i would keep an eye on it every once in a while like Fenix is saying! Let me know if there's anything else I can help out with, I'm always around!

Alex
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 12-10-2014, 11:33 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
SR Performance short throw shifter install

Sr one is very notchy. I had it in my 99 v6... I have a MGW now in my GT. The mgw is better quality, and way less noise, along with smoother. But the bang for your buck is amazing with the 75$ one. Yours will break in and get better and unfortunately, it will become noisier. So much if an improvement over stock though lol.

Yes I edit my posts a lot, auto correct likes to sabotage me!

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:02 AM   #9
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
Sr one is very notchy. I had it in my 99 v6... I have a MGW now in my GT. The mgw is better quality, and way less noise, along with smoother. But the bang for your buck is amazing with the 75$ one. Yours will break in and get better and unfortunately, it will become noisier. So much if an improvement over stock though lol.
Hey-Sorry to hear about the trouble you had with yours-I had some similar issues with mine on my '01 Bullitt. They made some small changes and the majority of the issues have been resolved. Let me know if there's anything I can ever help out with and I'm happy to hear that you're enjoying your MGW. I just got some seat time with one and was pretty impressed.

Alex
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 12-11-2014, 10:05 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAlexLazarus View Post
Hey-Sorry to hear about the trouble you had with yours-I had some similar issues with mine on my '01 Bullitt. They made some small changes and the majority of the issues have been resolved. Let me know if there's anything I can ever help out with and I'm happy to hear that you're enjoying your MGW. I just got some seat time with one and was pretty impressed.

Alex

When you cut the price like to a third of the mgw, you will have worse quality. And that's TOTALLY ok. Like I said, the bang for your buck is amazing with this item. It serves it's purpose, and does a good job of it at that. I would buy the SR again if I bought another older car.

Yes I edit my posts a lot, auto correct likes to sabotage me!

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 08:29 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:

So to make sure I'm correct when I install it just take the stop bolts completely out when I install it? I have an 03 gt. Tr3650. Also is there anything else you recommend if I don't have a gasket to put on?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolutio
thump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 09:05 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
You can either take them completely out or screw them all the way in.

Without a cobra Bob gasket you'll need good old fashioned gasket maker or rtv. Make sure both the surface on the tranny and the shifter are clean and use one continuous bread going on the inside of the mounting bolt holes.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FanOfSkynyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 10:36 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Ok thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolutio
Old 04-20-2015, 07:33 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1429576334.029667.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	180566Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1429576351.049054.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	180567

Installed smoothly and good to go. Thanks for the help!

"If you build it, they will come"
Old 04-21-2015, 06:46 AM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
I hated the gaskets and I also find I smack my fist into the radio with a handle like that... YMMV. The gaskets always pushed out and leaked fluid down onto my cats and once I even got smoke in the cabin from the fluid burning. Pulled the shifter and used some good old black RTV and never had an issue again. Little more noise yeah... that was with a Tri-Ax. With a MGW there would have been little or no noise.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:44 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Yea I used the permatex silicon as well and haven't has any problems so far. It's not even noisy.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:44 AM   #17
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I hated the gaskets and I also find I smack my fist into the radio with a handle like that... YMMV. The gaskets always pushed out and leaked fluid down onto my cats and once I even got smoke in the cabin from the fluid burning. Pulled the shifter and used some good old black RTV and never had an issue again. Little more noise yeah... that was with a Tri-Ax. With a MGW there would have been little or no noise.
I haven't had an issue with my gasket. You gotta resist over tightening them. I just didn't want a huge mess to clean up if I needed to pop off my shifter for any reason. It's all what you're used too though. If the gaskets provide any isolation of noise, it's not much more than silicone because they aren't real thick and they smash easily.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:45 AM   #18
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thump View Post
Yea I used the permatex silicon as well and haven't has any problems so far. It's not even noisy.

I didn't think there was much noise either. I was expecting a lot based on reviews. I'm happy with this shifter.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:52 PM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

I didn't overtighten, the gaskets just pushed out even going easy on it. Not to mention I had to trim the holes to get them to line up... and these were the actual CobraBob's ones not the AM knock offs.

Whatever works though. I've found "The Right Stuff" gasket maker works perfect for shifters and intake endgaskets and other things as well. No mess removing the shifter. Plastic sealant scraper and about 30 seconds and its all ready to go again.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:13 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
I didn't think there was much noise either. I was expecting a lot based on reviews. I'm happy with this shifter.
I have looked at this shifter several times and have almost pulled the trigger. Having now two reviews on here where people like it I may give one a try. In your opinion is it worth it to change from stock to this one? I was thinking of the MGW but I don't need the absolute best for my barely driven car. This intrigues me though cause of the price. Are the shifts Actually shorter and firmer?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 03:16 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve96 View Post
I have looked at this shifter several times and have almost pulled the trigger. Having now two reviews on here where people like it I may give one a try. In your opinion is it worth it to change from stock to this one? I was thinking of the MGW but I don't need the absolute best for my barely driven car. This intrigues me though cause of the price. Are the shifts Actually shorter and firmer?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Yes you definitely can tell a difference from stock. I like it a lot.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:27 PM   #22
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thump View Post
Yes you definitely can tell a difference from stock. I like it a lot.

Yes, definitely! Especially after it breaks-in some and loosens up. The only drawback I experienced was that it's harder to reach compared to the stock one. This is because I'm short, 5'8". With the MGW, I think you could order it with a longer shifter arm. I'm used to it now, so it's no biggie.

I've never used an MGW or Steeda and I'm not saying they aren't good. I am saying that the SR Performance shifter is leaps and bounds better than stock, and that's really all you're after anyways.

@azurebluemach
Old 04-22-2015, 01:59 PM   #23
Staff
Regular
Staff

The SR is a copy of the Pro 5.0 shifter. Which is comparable to the Tri-Ax. If you don't like their handle you can get a Tri-Ax handle for it or a UPR or whatever. Or even a MGW Blue adjustable one.

The MGW basically... feels like a stock shifter as far as noise and vibration transmission through the handle but the shifts are nice and short and crisp and the self centering spring makes hitting 3rd a breeze. Just like the Tri-Ax. Hopefully the SR unit has the centering springs or that would really suck.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:50 PM   #24
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
The SR is a copy of the Pro 5.0 shifter. Which is comparable to the Tri-Ax. If you don't like their handle you can get a Tri-Ax handle for it or a UPR or whatever. Or even a MGW Blue adjustable one.

The MGW basically... feels like a stock shifter as far as noise and vibration transmission through the handle but the shifts are nice and short and crisp and the self centering spring makes hitting 3rd a breeze. Just like the Tri-Ax. Hopefully the SR unit has the centering springs or that would really suck.

Yup, it does. I'll look into the tri-ax shifter handles. Maybe they will have some measurements I can check with mine. I wouldn't mind loosing a tad bit of "short-shifting" if that means it will b a bit closer to me. LOL

@azurebluemach
Old 04-22-2015, 03:43 PM   #25
WJL
Registered Member
Regular

Nice job looks good, have fun
WJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:03 PM   #26
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Yup, it does. I'll look into the tri-ax shifter handles. Maybe they will have some measurements I can check with mine. I wouldn't mind loosing a tad bit of "short-shifting" if that means it will b a bit closer to me. LOL

@azurebluemach
Regular

With extension plate

You don't lose any "shortness".

Old 04-22-2015, 08:00 PM   #27
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Regular

With extension plate

You don't lose any "shortness".

Did you make that extension plate? That's a great idea!

@azurebluemach
Old 04-23-2015, 09:37 AM   #28
Staff
Regular
Staff

That's a Steeda extension plate for the 3550 trans and is $20 new. I had one lying around that I'm not going to use. I'd have to find it but let me know if you'd want it.

The holes that bolt onto the shifter itself are too big because the 3550 shifters use 3/8" bolts but I got some nylon sleeves from home depot and pressed them in and then drilled them out to the right size for the normal 1/4" bolts and that was that.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:44 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

dang that extension piece would be pretty cool to have. I didn't have one with mine when i got the car, but my arms are long enough to reach, even with the seat all the way back. still more of a stretch than i wanted. I have that little washer underneath it, but i didnt know what it was for. its sitting in a bag somewhere. probably with the stock bolts. its not important, is it?
Old 04-23-2015, 11:54 AM   #30
Staff
Regular
Staff

No, I honestly don't know why that washer is even there.

And yeah, that extension piece is cool but it says "3550 or Hurst only" which is true. But 25 cents of nylon bushings fixes that problem. I would never have another SN95 without a MGW shifter with the comfort handle or a setup like this with a traditional shifter. I always thought the shifter was just a bit too far forward in the SN95 cars... Ford did fix this in 05 with the remote shifter though, problem is their remote shifter design was (and still is) terrible requiring the aftermarket to come up with a fix.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:33 PM   #31
Lorraine's driver

Regular

I decided to try out a new shifter handle to try and get it closer to my short arms lol. I bought a Steeda TriAx handle from AM.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/sttrshha.html

Here's the difference between the SRpro and Steeda handle.

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1434169150.770524.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	184728

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1434169292.702478.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	184729

Excuse the blue tinted pics. I got a crazy bright blue LED for my dome light. I didn't want to get my drop light out lol.

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1434169416.655082.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	184730

The location change is sweet. It's a really nice feel, even into 5th. You don't feel like your reaching over to the glove box to get into 5th like before. Also, I don't think it has changed the throw enough that I can tell. This handle the the shifter go great together.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 06-14-2015, 12:30 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
I have a Steeda Tri Ax shifter in mine with that same shift handle. Short throw shifters make a world of difference in these sn95 mustangs.
Old 06-14-2015, 01:00 PM   #33
Staff
Regular
Staff

I can't even drive one without a short shifter anymore. Or one of the junk ebay ones ppl think they are "upgrading" when they get one.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:31 PM   #34
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Okay, some of you guys know, I've been having some shifting problems and I've chased it down to suspecting my SR Performance short shifter.

Symptoms:
You get blocks in all gears when it's cold. No gear grinds or nibbles, just like there's no gear there. Once the engine and tranny get warmed up, this happens less often, but will still happen. The catch to it all is that if you go jammin gears, you don't get blocks.

What did I investigate?
Well, I got to thinking my clutch cable needed adjustment - like your clutch is not disengaging fully and making it difficult to move into gears. I made adjustments, not change. Then I decided to buy a different clutch quadrant and cable setup. I went with Maximum Motorsports cable quadrant and firewall adjuster. Got that setup and no change. Removed my pedal free play spring, no change. Then I changed the tranny fluid. I went with Mobil 1 ATF, like I usually use, no change. I dumped that and tried Pennzoil Symcromesh, no change. My tranny only has about 19k miles and is about 2.5 years old, so I feel good about it being solid. Plus, I don't beat on it. All that led me to suspect the shifter.

I took the shifter out and dropped the stock shifter back in, so hopefully that will prove that it's the shifter. Other than the shifter, I can't image what else it could be.

It's supposed to be 50 and sunny tomorrow, so hopefully I'll find out tomorrow. I guess I'll let Lorraine get a little salty this once lol.

IG: @rcodemach1
Old 01-29-2016, 11:59 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
No! Don't do it!! She's too clean to get salty. Lol

I am curious to hear if the shifter was the cause. I too, have had this blocky feeling when the car is cold. It's more noticeable when slowly shifting into 3rd on my car. I am stock shifter, factory 3650. I assumed it was a synchro starting to act up but maybe it is my stock shifter for some reason.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT