Mustang Snow Tires! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-10-2014, 06:36 PM   #1

Region: Nebraska
Mustang Snow Tires!

Wondering what's the best winter tire setup you guys use? Also, would two in the back get around okay?
Jonathan7101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2014, 07:07 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I ran some 245/45R17 Pirelli Winter Carving edge tires on my bullitts the last two seasons and they worked great for me. I'm sure you could get away with just two snow tires if you didn't have the money, but four would definitely be better
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2014, 07:15 PM   #3

Definitely will look into it! Thanks a lot! Any other tips? First winter with my mustang! Recommended weight in the trunk, engine breaking?
Thanks!
Old 12-10-2014, 07:17 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Just running 2 is not the best idea if you like stopping and turning on your commute, but they will get you up to speed quicker!
CUBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:26 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
yea with traction in the rear and none up front, youl turn your steering wheel and probably keep movin forward. i had 2 directional "rain" tires and 2 non directional, and similar thing happened. (hydroplaning)
Old 12-10-2014, 07:40 PM   #6

Thanks for the advice I have all seasons now, have a feeling they won't hold up so well in the snow so definitely going snow tires in the rear and probably keep the all seasons in the front. 80% tread left so I'm hoping it'll get around alright. Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 12-10-2014, 08:12 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
turn traction control off, works against you
Hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:13 PM   #8

Really? How so?

Old 12-10-2014, 08:18 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

its for rain, in snow will basically just stop you when you start to spin then your done. Trust me lol turn it off and don't have a heavy foot. snow tires and as long as your not breaking trail ( first one threw the powder ) ur fine.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:03 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan7101 View Post
Really? How so?

Traction control is designed to keep you from spinning out on slippery pavement.

You see, but snow is not slippery pavement. Its snow, and you have to dig through it in order to get to the pavement or hardpack snow.

Traction control keeps your tire from spinning on the snow, which makes your tires stay on top of the snow.

Your tire stays on top of the snow where there is no traction, so the traction control just keeps restricting wheel spin even more, which causes it to stay where there is no traction. Its a vicious cycle.

It gets really really bad on some cars. My work car is a 2012 focus and when I get in 3" of snow or more, I can put the pedal to the floor and then engine will not go above 1k rpms. The tires wont spin, and I am stuck. And there is no easy traction control button either. YOu have to be a freakin computer programmer nerd just to turn traction control off on the thing. I hate drive by wire.

Even if traction control did help, it would still be pretty lame /girly that you need it to drive lol.

Here is what you do if you need more traction than snow tires provide. Its weird, but it works so well. Saved my *** in many a rwd v8 cars.

Keep 2 pieces of 15-20 foot rope 1" in diameter in your car with you. No its not a tow rope. We are men. We don't ask for people to tow us out. We wrap that rope through our wheels and wrap it around our tire all the way around the wheel and tie it off nice and tight so it doesn't get wrapped up in stuff. It works just like snow chains to get you out of the nasty stuff. I have personally done this 3 times. It was the difference between my tires spinning on frozen **** and digging through it. Just don't drive around with them on. Driving a lot on them is going to make the rope stretch/wear through. Which is going to cause it to get loose and wrap itself up in the least convenient place ever on your axle.

If that doesn't work, get a flame thrower out and make the vicinity really tropical. Otherwise you lose manly points for getting towed out.

Now this can all be very stressful, cold, and make you thirsty. That is when you should go into your survival pack, and get your bottle of wild turkey 101 and chug as much as you have left.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:48 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
Traction control is designed to keep you from spinning out on slippery pavement.

You see, but snow is not slippery pavement. Its snow, and you have to dig through it in order to get to the pavement or hardpack snow.

Traction control keeps your tire from spinning on the snow, which makes your tires stay on top of the snow.

Your tire stays on top of the snow where there is no traction, so the traction control just keeps restricting wheel spin even more, which causes it to stay where there is no traction. Its a vicious cycle.

It gets really really bad on some cars. My work car is a 2012 focus and when I get in 3" of snow or more, I can put the pedal to the floor and then engine will not go above 1k rpms. The tires wont spin, and I am stuck. And there is no easy traction control button either. YOu have to be a freakin computer programmer nerd just to turn traction control off on the thing. I hate drive by wire.

Even if traction control did help, it would still be pretty lame /girly that you need it to drive lol.

Here is what you do if you need more traction than snow tires provide. Its weird, but it works so well. Saved my *** in many a rwd v8 cars.

Keep 2 pieces of 15-20 foot rope 1" in diameter in your car with you. No its not a tow rope. We are men. We don't ask for people to tow us out. We wrap that rope through our wheels and wrap it around our tire all the way around the wheel and tie it off nice and tight so it doesn't get wrapped up in stuff. It works just like snow chains to get you out of the nasty stuff. I have personally done this 3 times. It was the difference between my tires spinning on frozen **** and digging through it. Just don't drive around with them on. Driving a lot on them is going to make the rope stretch/wear through. Which is going to cause it to get loose and wrap itself up in the least convenient place ever on your axle.

If that doesn't work, get a flame thrower out and make the vicinity really tropical. Otherwise you lose manly points for getting towed out.

Now this can all be very stressful, cold, and make you thirsty. That is when you should go into your survival pack, and get your bottle of wild turkey 101 and chug as much as you have left.
Haha loved reading this lol.

Oxford White Roush Stage 1 SN# 6925--SOLD but never forgotten!
Kona Blue GT premium - Slammed on BC's and BMR's full rear suspension
The_Chech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post

AWESOME advice! Thanks for your expertise,
Old 12-10-2014, 10:00 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
^^ hahahah but seriously if you have a fire place at home fill a couple coffee cans up with ashes from the bottom and if you ever get stuck spread that in front of all the tire it really helps with traction or cat littler works too.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:10 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

u guys think im kidding.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:22 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Montana
Send a message via Yahoo to Jmustang78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello View Post
turn traction control off, works against you

Agreed TC is NOT for snow use!

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Jmustang78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:22 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
I heard slicks was the best thing to run in snow? ;P

12.1 @ 117.9 (1.7) in 1/4th
7.6 @ 92.1 (1.6) in 1/8th
Speed_Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 04:57 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed_Mister View Post
I heard slicks was the best thing to run in snow? ;P

If you wanna have a fun time, lol.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 12-11-2014, 06:03 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post
If you wanna have a fun time, lol.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

I do I do! I still have my summer tires on lol

Oxford White Roush Stage 1 SN# 6925--SOLD but never forgotten!
Kona Blue GT premium - Slammed on BC's and BMR's full rear suspension
The_Chech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 06:11 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

the only thing i do to winterize my car is give it an extra minute or to warm up.

The perks of living in Florida.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:32 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post
the only thing i do to winterize my car is give it an extra minute or to warm up.

The perks of living in Florida.
I feel like once the oil temp guage climbs up by its usual temp, the internals are warm enough to drive normally.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:45 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

uh.... thats a temp gauge? i always thought it was a pressure gauge. either way, yea, at 50 degrees outside, its pretty much ready to move. but i try to turn the car on first, and then take care of seatbelts, adjustments, puttin stuff down, and then a minute or so passes, and im off.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:09 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

park facing east and use a block heater, snow tires and your fine. Good tires are the game changer. What a difference between all seasons and snow's. I see 4x4 trucks slide and spin where I have no issues
Old 12-11-2014, 11:17 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
park facing east and use a block heater, snow tires and your fine. Good tires are the game changer. What a difference between all seasons and snow's. I see 4x4 trucks slide and spin where I have no issues
whenever ive looked at all season tire reviews, most of the time, snow traction is what brings the overall rating down. If i drove in snow, i would definitely have a set of snow tires ready for my car. Theyre gonna be freezing cold so not much grip in rubber to begin with.

othrewise keep your rpms low. With not so great summer tires, ive fishtailed at 2500 rpm in lower gears. I imagine snow is less forgiving.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:43 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

lol I couldn't even make it up my street with my summer tires on. Tried parking on the street behind me and got stuck on flat ground. Finally got off that street and fishtailed all the way to the tire store barely lol was a pretty intense drive hah kept talking about how bad the roads were. Installed winter tires and drove home as if it was a nice summer day.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:58 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
lol I couldn't even make it up my street with my summer tires on. Tried parking on the street behind me and got stuck on flat ground. Finally got off that street and fishtailed all the way to the tire store barely lol was a pretty intense drive hah kept talking about how bad the roads were. Installed winter tires and drove home as if it was a nice summer day.
That is so true lol. I had some 9" wide summer tires on that had 40% tread left, I got stuck on anything and everything. Then I put some 6" wide steelies on with not even very good all season tires and I drove around like it was nothing. I felt so stupid for complaining to everyone about the roads lol.

I was going down the interstate just with 2.5" of wet snow, and it was absolutely out of control. Ive never actually been scared behind the wheel of a car until that day.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:00 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Thank god for no snow in texas lol

Naturally Aspirated Is Lyfe
Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 01:44 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laquisha View Post
Thank god for no snow in texas lol

Naturally Aspirated Is Lyfe
meh, depends how you look at it. I love winter IMO your missing out
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	runnigganigga.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	171549   Click image for larger version

Name:	runnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	171550  

Old 12-11-2014, 01:48 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
meh, depends how you look at it. I love winter IMO your missing out
Dirt bikes tho. Can be pretty fun
Old 12-11-2014, 03:23 PM   #29

Bought my car from Florida! Amazing condition, hate to drive it in the snow/:

Old 12-11-2014, 03:40 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
My Continental Extreme Contact DWS are excellant. I am 100% satisfied with my snow treks I've experienced.
The Cooper Zeon RS3 on the white car are excellant also through the snow.
I have 315's on rears. Mickey Thompson makes the perfect tire for such a wide tire. Cant wait for the day I put a set on both cars. Choices at 17" 315's, were real low back a few years ago
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT