what engine should I put in? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-12-2014, 04:58 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
what engine should I put in?

Alright guys. Pulled the dip stick today after a long drive and found no oil on it. Has a noticeable knock now. I put some 5w-40 in it to get me through for a while, but its clear whats going to happen

I want to know what engine I should put in it. the cheapest mustang GT engine I have found near me is $1100 bucks.
I cant swing that. So what should I do?

How much can I get a carbed 5.3 in it for? Is there an adapter to make it work with the t45?
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2014, 05:02 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

How much performance would be lost if I put an engine in from a crown vic? Is the head different? Will my intake and **** go on it?
Old 12-12-2014, 05:39 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yea. You can swap the heads with Pi heads with the crown Victoria engine

2003 True Blue mustang gt
phillip433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2014, 06:17 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip433 View Post
Yea. You can swap the heads with Pi heads with the crown Victoria engine

Are crown vic PI heads different than the PI heads they put on mustangs? Because I know they both have what are called PI heads after a certain year.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:37 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
They are the same long block so any 99 up 2V PI heads will work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 12:15 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
They are the same long block so any 99 up 2V PI heads will work.

Oh awesome. I think the vics/mgms got it in 2001. But its a way better route to get one from a vic or a grandmarquis because they are about 1/3 the price and they don't get beat to **** their whole lives like the mustang engines do. I bet I could get a solid one under $400, install it at my buddies shop and have a better car than before.

Is switching the flywheel in and taking the flexplate out very hard?
Old 12-13-2014, 12:49 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

No. Not while the engine is removed from the car. Its just six bolts.
An air impact gun is helpful though.

I'd keep your old engine installed and see if the noise gets any worse.
Old 12-13-2014, 03:38 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No. Not while the engine is removed from the car. Its just six bolts.
An air impact gun is helpful though.

I'd keep your old engine installed and see if the noise gets any worse.
Yeah that's what I am going to do for a bit here regardless, because I have exactly $0 to my name lol. Im still going to have to replace it eventually though. It ran 3 quarts low for possibly 4 days..
Old 12-13-2014, 10:51 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
I'd just go for a Mark VIII motor honestly and call it a day. Delete the IMRCs and get a custom burnt tune for the whole shebang. Start reading up on the 4V swap. You get a teksid block, you get the 4V, you get a solid power bump and they're not that expensive.

If you are going for dirt cheap then a Grand Marquis/Crown Vic owned by an old person is your best bet. If you can find a 02-05 Explorer PI motor, that is the best PI motor you can get, preferably an 04/05 for the 8 thread heads.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 10:58 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Look for a totaled out Mustang with a great engine on cl.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:00 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Or just save up a cool hundred grand+ and install one of these Sonny's big blocks. 1700 N/A hp on pump gas!

Attached Images

Old 12-13-2014, 11:06 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Thats a bargain!!^^

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 11:08 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Or just save up a cool hundred grand+ and install one of these Sonny's big blocks. 1700 N/A hp on pump gas!

100k for 1700 hp? It better damn well be N/A haha. Wow I wish I was on that level.

That is straight up impressive though. However, my guess is that once you are that serious about it, its less lighthearted/fun. That's how it was with motocross for me. Started off all fun and games, but every time I got better, moved up a class, and got more money involved, it got way more stressful. I could be more proud of myself, but it certainly was less fun than when I was a goon out on the track that was pumped just to clear a double.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:16 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I'd just go for a Mark VIII motor honestly and call it a day. Delete the IMRCs and get a custom burnt tune for the whole shebang. Start reading up on the 4V swap. You get a teksid block, you get the 4V, you get a solid power bump and they're not that expensive.

If you are going for dirt cheap then a Grand Marquis/Crown Vic owned by an old person is your best bet. If you can find a 02-05 Explorer PI motor, that is the best PI motor you can get, preferably an 04/05 for the 8 thread heads.
If the motor is actually done, and you have the time and know how, then yeah go 4v. If you are trying to get an engine in and going ASAP just get a crown Vic motor. I'm not 100% at the moment but I'm thinking some 01 Vic's had npi(half year npi, half year pi) and 02 up had pi for sure. You can look at the intake and tell. Crown Vic and mustang engines are the same.

If it was me, I'd be doing a 4v 5.4 or 4.6, but I have another vehicle to drive during down time which it sounds like you do not.
Billgluckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 11:27 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

That engine is 900+ cubic inches and they make a 1000 ci version as well.
Some guy keeps showing up at this cars and coffee that we've been attending and he has two cars with these engines! He'll, I don't know, he might have more of them!

This stuff really can get out of hand for most of us! I'm perfectly happy just auto-xing in a "bolt-on" class (ESP) to keep the costs, relatively, in check. And it's still fun and very competitive!
Old 12-13-2014, 11:59 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

It's worth it if you run it with oil lol

phillip433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 12:06 AM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

He can also go 5.4l 2v out of a truck. Its pretty much a 95% drop in. Only real downside is you have to get custom headers made if you ever want to go longtubes. Lots more bottom end.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:11 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
He can also go 5.4l 2v out of a truck. Its pretty much a 95% drop in. Only real downside is you have to get custom headers made if you ever want to go longtubes. Lots more bottom end.

Even if he ran factory manifolds the exhaust would have to be modded. I'd do it though. I miss my camaros torque. Lol

When my engine goes I plan on a 5.4 4v.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:00 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Does the 5.4 use the same exhaust manifolds and intake as the 4.6? Does it use the same motor mounts? Wouldnt I have to tune the ECU?

Maybe a 3v 4.6 from a newer explorer or something, but again, What will fit? I want at least a 95% drop in
Old 12-14-2014, 09:07 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknbronco View Post
Look for a totaled out Mustang with a great engine on cl.
Yeah its hard to find those two things together though lol. Sometimes the guys that total out their cars are the same ones who didn't exactly baby the engines. If I can get a mechanically identical one for half the price but that's been abused less, I think I would go that route. I will indeed look on CL though. I saw a totaled out termi cobra that hit a tree a few weeks ago. If I had the cash I would pick that sum***** up and swap the engine and the t56 into my stang
Old 12-14-2014, 09:09 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

So what about the engine from a mark viii? WIll my intake, injectors, and exhaust work on it? Could I just run my 1999 mustang ecu with it?
Old 12-14-2014, 09:53 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Okay now this is freakin sweet! Page 5 - Mustang Engine Swap - Dyno Test Results - 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine

I could do all of that in my garage except maybe the intake adapters, but id figure something out for sure. Im going to see if I can find a decent 5.4. That would be really cool to have. It doesn't even need a tune to run safely. A tune helps it a lot though. It doesn't sound like they even swapped injectors.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:14 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

How does this engine core thing work? Is the price I see on Car-part.com before I return the engine core? Or is it $350 for the car engine, and then I return the core for whatever its worth and get cash for it?

Or do I pay them more than $350, and then once I return the core the total goes back down to $350?
Old 12-14-2014, 10:30 AM   #24
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
Does the 5.4 use the same exhaust manifolds and intake as the 4.6? Does it use the same motor mounts? Wouldnt I have to tune the ECU?

Maybe a 3v 4.6 from a newer explorer or something, but again, What will fit? I want at least a 95% drop in
3v can be done but you might as well do a 4v. The 5.4l drops right in. Same ecu, same mounts. I forget what has to be done exhuast wise but its not much. Like I said tho for a cheap direct drop you just find a real low mileage motor from a Vic or exploder.

Old 12-14-2014, 11:17 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
3v can be done but you might as well do a 4v. The 5.4l drops right in. Same ecu, same mounts. I forget what has to be done exhuast wise but its not much. Like I said tho for a cheap direct drop you just find a real low mileage motor from a Vic or exploder.

That is awesome. Do you know if my flywheel will bolt right onto the 5.4? I am not sure if its 6 bolt or not. Its a 1999. Does the 5.4 take the 6 bolt flywheel? Same oil pickups?

Im not worried about fitting it in or whatever. Making mounts line up and grinding **** is straightforward its the million little things that I am worried about.

Im just trying to learn enough so that I can confidently buy the 5.4 instead. I cant afford much as far as unexpected expenses. I can make the exhaust fit no problem though. I guess all you have to do is grind off something from a bulge in the exhaust that doesn't even do anything. Does anybody have a link to the adapter plate from the intake? Maybe I can just use the original 5.4 intake.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:03 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
That is awesome. Do you know if my flywheel will bolt right onto the 5.4? I am not sure if its 6 bolt or not. Its a 1999. Does the 5.4 take the 6 bolt flywheel? Same oil pickups?

Im not worried about fitting it in or whatever. Making mounts line up and grinding **** is straightforward its the million little things that I am worried about.

Im just trying to learn enough so that I can confidently buy the 5.4 instead. I cant afford much as far as unexpected expenses. I can make the exhaust fit no problem though. I guess all you have to do is grind off something from a bulge in the exhaust that doesn't even do anything. Does anybody have a link to the adapter plate from the intake? Maybe I can just use the original 5.4 intake.
The truck intake won't fit under the hood. The exhaust has to be widened or lengthened. I can't really remember. It's a straight forward swap other than the intake. There's info all over the Internet if you search.
Old 12-14-2014, 02:01 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billgluckman View Post
The truck intake won't fit under the hood. The exhaust has to be widened or lengthened. I can't really remember. It's a straight forward swap other than the intake. There's info all over the Internet if you search.
If its within an inch or two I don't care. I have hood snaps and I can raise them up to accommodate taller stuff under the hood until I get it worked out. making the 4.6 intake fit on it would be a total hack job if I did it lol. If I had a nice pretty carb on top of the intake I would just cut a hole in the hood and let the glorious carb stick out under a hood scoop lol.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:04 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Im still debating this though, because no matter how much I spend on a 5.4, I could get a 4.6 in much better condition with like half the miles in my area.. I race motocross with the junkyard owners kids though and we are neighbors so maybe I can get a good deal on a 5.4. But man! that torque is crazy on those 5.4s. Plus it would be legit to be able say I have a 5.4 swap and I did it myself lol. What kind of mileage would you guys look for in a 5.4 to swap in? The ones in my price range are upwards of 200k. My girlfriends dad has a 99 expedition with 390k on it though. Those miles are not being driven by me however.

I can get a decent 4 valve in my price range. What do you guys think of that swap? Is it harder than the 5.4?
Old 12-14-2014, 04:46 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

You'll be better off finding a lower mileage Vic motor if you don't have much money to spend.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:54 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billgluckman View Post
You'll be better off finding a lower mileage Vic motor if you don't have much money to spend.
Yeah im in college. for as bad as blowing your engine sucks this came at a convenient time. Im going into my 1 month long Christmas break and don't have to drive much at all for that time. Plus im getting Christmas cards that have money in them already haha.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:34 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Search Craigslist for engines, parts, etc These are very popular cars and it's surprising what you can find on there. CL is great if you are on a budget but you can't be in a big hurry because it sometimes takes a while to find what you're looking for at a good price.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:19 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I dropped a grand marquis 4.6 in mine when I needed a new engine quick. Now I'm doing a 4v swap, and I should have done this from the beginning lol

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 08:54 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguestang View Post
I dropped a grand marquis 4.6 in mine when I needed a new engine quick. Now I'm doing a 4v swap, and I should have done this from the beginning lol
Was it the PI mgm motor? Did it seem any different than before? Im guessing that since my engine was eating so much oil so quickly, it wasn't the healthiest. I bet the lower mileage mgm engine is going to make my car faster than it was with the clapped out stocker. Plus I will be able to drive it more aggressively since I know its going to hold together
Old 12-14-2014, 09:13 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguestang View Post
Oh and id like to know more about the 4.6 4v swap. Hows that going? would it have been just as easy when you did the first swap?
Old 12-15-2014, 06:00 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I found a guy selling the complete motor out of a 99. He bought the car for the tranny (it had been rear ended), and parted the rest out. Since it was a non PI motor, I swapped my heads and intake over, and that was really it. The PI swapped 96-98 GT's run a little higher compression, and you can sometimes get away without a tune, but it worked fine. If it had been a PI engine, I would have just swapped my intake over and its a really easy job. For the 4v, it's basically a 90% bolt in. There are a few things that need to be done though, depending on what you get the 4v out of. The mark viii swap is probably the most common to do, but I got mine out of an Aviator. You can see my thread for my progress thus far. I've still got a few things left to do, but overall, the power increase and cost for my build (so far) will be, and has been good. There's tons of write ups out there. Check some of them out, and see if it is something you want to tackle.

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT