Preserving my blown motor - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-12-2014, 08:27 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Preserving my blown motor

So guys heres the deal. My engine burned all the oil out of it sometime within the past 4 days, and I didn't realize it until to day when I checked the oil. It didn't knock this morning at all, but when I started it up after work today you can hear it clearly when you start it up.

I need the car to run for a little while longer because Christmas break doesn't start for me until next week. THen I have a month to figure it out. I commute to school every day, so what can I do to try and squeeze another 400-500 miles out of it?

After that, I am going to drop a healthy engine from a PI crown vic, dress it in the mustang parts, and hopefully have an even better car than before this happened.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2014, 08:30 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
How does this even happen? Do you only check your oil, when it's time to change it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 08:44 PM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Well you can fill it back up and keep your fingers crossed. Could last you as long as you need it, might last you 5 miles. I would for damn sure not drive it anywhere far and REALLY for damn sure not drive it into school during exam week because if it ****s out and you miss a final...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2014, 08:56 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
How does this even happen? Do you only check your oil, when it's time to change it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
I bought the car Friday last week. Checked the oil the day I bought it and then again 2 days later. Didn't notice anything. THen today its dry.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:49 PM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

That sucks. Although I have a hard time believing it ate 6 quarts of oil in 2 days and you didn't notice anything... No smells no smoke no nothing? Oil spots under the car?

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:47 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
These engines are well known for "knocking" on cold starts and just because you didn't see any oil on the dipstick doesn't mean that the engine ran out of oil. I think that when the engine is 2.5 quarts low, that it won't register on the dipstick. There's still 3.5 quarts in the crank case at that time. The engine will keep developing oil pressure until the level of the oil drops below the oil pump pick-up.

Did the oil light ever come on?
How much oil did you have to add when you discovered that the level was low?
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 11:59 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
These engines are well known for "knocking" on cold starts and just because you didn't see any oil on the dipstick doesn't mean that the engine ran out of oil. I think that when the engine is 2.5 quarts low, that it won't register on the dipstick. There's still 3.5 quarts in the crank case at that time. The engine will keep developing oil pressure until the level of the oil drops below the oil pump pick-up.

Did the oil light ever come on?
How much oil did you have to add when you discovered that the level was low?
The car always had oil pressure and It didn't even leak out on the parking spot, but I park in the grass anyways. I put 4 quarts in and it was slightly above full on the dip stick. I put some 5w-40 in it and some of that STP oil additive that is thicker than pudding and it seemed to quiet it down a tad bit. I cant even hear the noise when I am driving the car. It only happens if I downshift and right when I start it up. You cant even hear it when it idles. But when you can hear it, it sounds pretty alarming.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:27 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
It sounds like you caught it just in time!
I'd just make sure and keep a close eye on the oil level. When you change the oil, don't use the STP and see how it sounds. You can also use 5w30 instead of the 5w20 in these engines, if it makes you feel better.
It's definitely not ideal to run the oil so low but as long as the engine never lost oil pressure, it should be just fine!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 02:03 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

You can use Rotella too if you need to. Just let it warm up really well. Lots of guys with high performance apps actually use Rotella.

But yeah, baby it and plan on a new motor soon. Luckily 2V motors are so cheap its more costly for all the little misc things and maintenance stuff like a new water pump and spark plugs and wires and all than it is for the actual motor.

Old 12-13-2014, 03:03 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
You can use Rotella too if you need to. Just let it warm up really well. Lots of guys with high performance apps actually use Rotella.

But yeah, baby it and plan on a new motor soon. Luckily 2V motors are so cheap its more costly for all the little misc things and maintenance stuff like a new water pump and spark plugs and wires and all than it is for the actual motor.

For sure man. I found a 58k mile PI 2v motor that ran freakin sweet. $350 bucks. I bet I could get it for $300. Then Im gonna tackle my first motor swap and see how it goes
Old 12-13-2014, 07:51 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

So are you sure it's knocking? Are you sure it's not a valve train issue?

If the motor is ok I wouldn't run anything other than 5w20 for long. These chain tensioners work off oil pressure.
Billgluckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 08:46 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
That sucks. Although I have a hard time believing it ate 6 quarts of oil in 2 days and you didn't notice anything... No smells no smoke no nothing? Oil spots under the car?
It was only 3 quarts low. It just wasn't enough to be on the dip stick. Btw I thought these only hold 5 quarts
Old 12-14-2014, 08:49 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billgluckman View Post

If the motor is ok I wouldn't run anything other than 5w20 for long. These chain tensioners work off oil pressure.
It sounds like rod knock to me. It doesn't happen when the engine is under positive load though. If I downshift and let it engine brake, then it sounds like a change jar just spilled into my engine bay. If I rev it up in neutral, you can hear it as soon as I let off. And you can hear it when I start it up. But you cant hear a damn bit of anything when you are on the gas.

Im gonna drive it like a granny until:
A: it locks up
B: I get $100 more dollars and buy a new engine.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:52 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well it has plenty of oil pressure but it really sounds too extreme to be a valve train issue.

Can you explain the chain tensioner thing to me? Im curious what you mean by they work off oil pressure
Old 12-14-2014, 10:30 AM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
It was only 3 quarts low. It just wasn't enough to be on the dip stick. Btw I thought these only hold 5 quarts
4.6l holds 6 quarts.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 12-14-2014, 11:56 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
Well it has plenty of oil pressure but it really sounds too extreme to be a valve train issue.

Can you explain the chain tensioner thing to me? Im curious what you mean by they work off oil pressure
AGCO Automotive Repair Service - Baton Rouge, LA - Detailed Auto Topics - Symptoms of Bad Timing Chain, Ford V8 Engines

Read that. I didn't read it all but I believe it explains everything.

Also, our oil pressure gauges don't actually tell you how much pressure you have. Rev your engine. Notice that the gauge doesn't move like it should when oil pressure is increased. All that gauge is telling you is you have oil pressure, but not how much.

You may want to take the car to someone who's familiar with these engine for an inspection.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:45 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
AGCO Automotive Repair Service - Baton Rouge, LA - Detailed Auto Topics - Symptoms of Bad Timing Chain, Ford V8 Engines

Read that. I didn't read it all but I believe it explains everything.

Also, our oil pressure gauges don't actually tell you how much pressure you have. Rev your engine. Notice that the gauge doesn't move like it should when oil pressure is increased. All that gauge is telling you is you have oil pressure, but not how much.

You may want to take the car to someone who's familiar with these engine for an inspection.
Oh okay that makes sense now that I think about it. And idk why modern cars have sensors everywhere and for everything, but you can run the thing dry of oil and it wont throw a code or anything. My engine sounds like **** and no codes come up. No CEL is on or anything. My buddy had a Volvo s60t5 with a turbo on it from factory. He was driving it one day and the turbo started leaking. It sucked all the oil out of the engine and the thing didn't throw a single code. It just locked up right there. THen after he got a new engine put in it, the thing wouldn't even start because of an O2 sensor being out. It literally wouldn't even start because of the O2 sensor. But you can drive around with no oil in it? smdh
Old 12-14-2014, 04:42 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

My 96 has a low oil light. If I park on a slant it lights up every time.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:57 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My 96 has a low oil light. If I park on a slant it lights up every time.
That would be nice lol. Mine came with an aftermarket dash so its different colors/sizes. and it seems that a previous owner was kind of a huge dumb *** based on the "mods" I have seen lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT