Heater hoses - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-12-2014, 10:27 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Heater hoses

My heater and defroster doesnt work. The two hose fittings on the passenger side firewall , theres nothing connected to them. I dont know what goes where. Its really hard to drive with my windows fogged up. Also on the back of the engine block theres a hose that has been fitted with a T connecter and a hose coming from i dont know where, and the open end of it is facing straight to the ground. Can someone help me get this in order and get my defroster to work? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1418444688467.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	171733  
cstyle408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2014, 10:57 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I can't tell, from that pic, what you are talking about.
Are both of the hoses connected to the heater core which protrudes through the firewall?
If so, with the engine warmed up and running, verify that both of them are getting hot, just like the radiator hoses.

What doesn't work with the heat?
Does it blow but not get warm?
Does it get warm but not blow?
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 12:40 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

There are no hoses connected to the heater core part that comes thru the firewall. It doesnt get warm but it does blow. Where do i connect the hoses to?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2014, 01:22 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Unfortunately, there is only one reason to bypass the heater core... It probably developed a leak.

Post a better picture of the Tee that you're talking about and we can try to identify the heater hoses so that you can connect up the heater core and see if it leaks or not.

In the meantime, as long as your A/C works, the defrost will still function to a certain extent. It's just not anywhere near as efficient as when it has the heat to help it.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:55 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Theres to much stuff in the way to get a better pic. Basically the fat hose from the back of the engine block and the thinner hose from the back are connected together with a T fitting and another small hose is on the end of the T pointing straight down towards the street. So im guessing the two hose get connected to the two heater core inlet & outlet. Which one does the fatter hose connect to?

---------- Post added at 06:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 PM ----------

And ac doesnt work
Old 12-13-2014, 01:20 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

The two fatter hoses (5/8 id) are the ones that are connected to the heater core. The smaller hose is possibly for the heated PCV valve.
I would take a picture of mine but I have a Bullitt and it has a different intake manifold than the GT's.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:54 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Looks like someone bypassed your heater core. This was likely because the heater core leaked and the previous owner was too intimidated by literally a 3-4 hour job going slow. The dash pretty much falls out of these cars and nothing is real hard to get at.

Now as far as hooking the heater hoses back up... working back there is a biotch and a half unless you pull the intake. If you are a 99/00 car or a 96-98 NPI car this is a good excuse to upgrade. If you are a 01-04 car, well its not hard to pull the intake honestly.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 11:12 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

My heater hoses are easily accessible.

The damned dashboard was a b!tch for me though. But I'd rather work on the greasy engine than the interior so that was part of the problem.
It really isn't very difficult and I was actually able to remove the heater core without removing the dashboard completely from the car. It is helpful to have another set of hands because the dashboard is pretty heavy and awkward.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT