Hanging idle problem on 2002 mustang gt - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-13-2014, 04:04 PM   #1

Hanging idle problem on 2002 mustang gt

Hey guys I know this is a question that I'm sure many of you have heard about before my thread but I've had a hanging idle problem ever since I bought my car. Seems like when I clutch and pull out of gear it wants to stay around 2 grand on the rpms for about 4-5 seconds before it falls off back to normal idle. Didn't know where to start to take care of this problem. Any help would be great. thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Colt23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2014, 04:17 PM   #2
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
I would look into the idle air control valve. (IAC). Many say you can clean it, but Ford claims it's not "cleanable". I guess it doesn't hurt to pop it off and make sure there is nothing solid inside keeping it from working. Make sure you try and keep from boogering up the gasket.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:22 PM   #3

I cleaned out my throttle body, plenum and tried to clean the IAC although it's hard to clean the IAC due to how it's made. And that didn't change anything. But I will say on my gasket the left side of the gasket where the Dumby hole is torn and a decent chunk is missing. But being over the dumby hole I wouldn't think it would keep it from sealing. And I can't hear a leak. But then again the leak might not be horrible just bad enough to throw my idle off.

Colt23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2014, 04:46 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
The computer is programmed to hold a higher than normal idle while the car is rolling. This is so that the Hydroboost system, which is the power assist for the brakes, has enough power for braking and power steering.
2000 RPM's is a bit high though. It probably is your IAC. Cleaning them typically does nothing because they are usually worn out by the time that they get dirty enough that they need to be cleaned.
If you do determine that the IAC needs to be replaced, I recommend purchasing one that is manufactured by either Motorcraft or Hitachi as the other makes seem to be very troublesome.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 04:54 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
IAC delete. The throttle response will be exact. no ECU bull ****. ecus are gay.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 05:02 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

You can't delete the IAC. There is, however, an IAC mod that makes the idle drop faster.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:43 PM   #7
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
IAC delete. The throttle response will be exact. no ECU bull ****. ecus are gay.

😐
Old 12-13-2014, 05:44 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

oh okay. idk why I thought somebody mentioned a delete. I was high on marijuana cigarettes when I read that thread though lol
Old 12-13-2014, 06:01 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Lol.
You were probably thinking of the EGR delete.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:29 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Dont buy a iac from an autoparts store. They are usually crap. Order a hitachi or get one through ford. Oem was hitachi and one other brand. One is longer than the other, but both work.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 12-22-2014, 03:56 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

On my buddys 02 it was his tps. We would give it a quick rev and it would hang ip around 1800 for a few secs then drop. His was manual if it makes any difference

Sent from my SGH-T399N using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 05-17-2015, 12:50 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
I have the same hanging problem.

Colt23, did changing the IAC valve fix your problem?

Smoke tires, Not drugs!!
escottcarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:36 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I used to have that same hanging idle problem with my car.. You know.. Back when I had EFI lmao. rookie mistake. LIterally not one single fuel system related issue since I switched to carb. No drop in MPG and a noticeable increase in horsepower... Just saying
Old 05-17-2015, 02:36 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I would first replace your IAC valve. No cleaning it b.s. If your problem isn't solved I would look into your charging system. If you had parasitic draw (even a small one) that could be causing your PCM to go through a idle relearn. As it goes ford pcms are hyper sensitive to low battery voltage. So a battery at the end of it's life so a weak alternator can also be the cause.

Yellastang03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:29 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
I used to have that same hanging idle problem with my car.. You know.. Back when I had EFI lmao. rookie mistake. LIterally not one single fuel system related issue since I switched to carb. No drop in MPG and a noticeable increase in horsepower... Just saying
Soo you'd rather spend $200+ to swap a carb on instead of $50 to replace an IAC valve?
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:10 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile high JDF View Post
Soo you'd rather spend $200+ to swap a carb on instead of $50 to replace an IAC valve?

Flawless logic isn't it...

Adventure till you drop
Recon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:38 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile high JDF View Post
And solve PATS problem, expensive fuel pump replacements down the road, ECU problems, fuel pump relay problems, and every other EFI problem that you guys CONSTANTLY are posting frustrating threads about. All that **** is gone for good.

By the way, it was only $150 to swap to a 4 barrel carb.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:40 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
Flawless logic isn't it...

Adventure till you drop
SCroll through the forum some time and look at all of the EFI and ECU related problem threads. And then think to yourself "I wonder if Panther deals with this plethora of fuel-system problems" The answer is No way in hell.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:50 PM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

You're missing one very important circumstance, I don't care. If there's an issue fix it. If man makes it, it can break. It's that simple.

Adventure till you drop
Old 05-17-2015, 07:57 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You're missing one very important circumstance, I don't care. If there's an issue fix it. If man makes it, it can break. It's that simple.

Adventure till you drop
Issue = EFI is dumb as **** and leaves you stranded all the time
Cure = Get rid of dumb *** EFI and put something on there that is significantly less complex and expensive

I did fix it
Old 05-17-2015, 08:05 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Well it was quiet and peaceful for a little while... Now we have to hear about unrelated things and swapping to carbs again.

Sent from the mothership.
Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:08 PM   #22
Registered Member

Regular

Lovely isn't it...

Adventure till you drop
Old 05-18-2015, 07:46 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

oh. i was gettin ready to post that the only correlation ive found with the hanging idle was when my a/c wasnt fully charged.
sounds weird, but basically, as the clutch would engage and disengage at a stop light, my rpms would bounce between like 900 rpm and 700 rpm (clutch engaged vs disengaged, respectively). after it would do that, the ecu would act like it was having an idle problem, and thats when it would start hanging rpms. An ecu reset always fixed the issue. then charging my a/c allowed the rpms to jump to 900 or so when the clutch engages, then slowly work its way back down to normal idl, and stay that way since the clutch stays engaged.
I havent heard anyone make that connection before, so i have no idea if its the same for anyone else with a hanging idle. but i kinda feel that in my case, its the ecu attempting to correct something, more than a failing IAC. (havent changed mine, and its working find nowdays.)
Old 05-18-2015, 07:53 AM   #24
Registered Member

Regular

^ that's interesting,

Adventure till you drop
Old 05-18-2015, 09:15 AM   #25
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
You're turning into the carburated troll
Old 05-18-2015, 10:06 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
You're turning into the carburated troll

If we don't pay attention to it, it may go away.

Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 10:16 AM   #27
Registered Member

Regular

I doubt it. I've got 3 carb cars. I'm not seeing how they are so much better. But to each his own I suppose.

Adventure till you drop
Old 05-18-2015, 11:17 AM   #28
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater2111 View Post
If we don't pay attention to it, it may go away.

Lol, we can only hope.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:09 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I doubt it. I've got 3 carb cars. I'm not seeing how they are so much better. But to each his own I suppose.

Adventure till you drop
Correct.

Some have a strong dislike for EFI, and others have no love for BMW's...

To each their own.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:23 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Today, I read a post explaining that cars built since 2000 +/- have 'hanging' programmed in the ECU. The idea is that a rapid engine RPM decline spews the worst gasses into the atmosphere. Hanging slows that RPM decline and burns gas better. Generally, cars with automatic transmissions don't have this programming.

The hanging is different than a bouncing idle. Hanging usually occurs when shifting gears with a MT. The engine RPM may rise a little in a bad shift. The engine RPM, then, declines slowly when you first release the gas pedal. Changing the IAC valve should have no bearing on a hanging RPM.

About two years ago, I noticed my engine hanging a couple of weeks after changing COPs to some aftermarket brand. (They actually work better than the DG508's I'm determining as of today.)

Last week, I purchased and installed new DENSO boots/springs for the old FOMOCO COPs and the engine still hangs. I'm not sure how I did not notice the hanging when I first bought the car (GT-Manual) over two years ago.

I believe there is more to this hanging issue and would really like to resolve it.

To the carburated guy writing posts: Good for you! I'm certainly impressed!!
To the knuckleheads slamming the carburated guy, please be quiet. The rest of us are trying to make our cars run better. "You're takin' up space" (Van Zant-2006).
escottcarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:38 PM   #31
Registered Member

Regular

Hanging idle problem on 2002 mustang gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Correct.

Some have a strong dislike for EFI, and others have no love for BMW's...

To each their own.

Oh I like BMWs, I just don't understand why the Germans decided to ruin them. The materials they used and way it's applied. Their build quality sucks now, argue if you want I don't care. I'm tell you what I see when I work on them.

Adventure till you drop
Old 05-18-2015, 09:41 PM   #32
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by escottcarp View Post
Today, I read a post explaining that cars built since 2000 +/- have 'hanging' programmed in the ECU. The idea is that a rapid engine RPM decline spews the worst gasses into the atmosphere. Hanging slows that RPM decline and burns gas better. Generally, cars with automatic transmissions don't have this programming.

The hanging is different than a bouncing idle. Hanging usually occurs when shifting gears with a MT. The engine RPM may rise a little in a bad shift. The engine RPM, then, declines slowly when you first release the gas pedal. Changing the IAC valve should have no bearing on a hanging RPM.

About two years ago, I noticed my engine hanging a couple of weeks after changing COPs to some aftermarket brand. (They actually work better than the DG508's I'm determining as of today.)

Last week, I purchased and installed new DENSO boots/springs for the old FOMOCO COPs and the engine still hangs. I'm not sure how I did not notice the hanging when I first bought the car (GT-Manual) over two years ago.

I believe there is more to this hanging issue and would really like to resolve it.

To the carburated guy writing posts: Good for you! I'm certainly impressed!!
To the knuckleheads slamming the carburated guy, please be quiet. The rest of us are trying to make our cars run better. "You're takin' up space" (Van Zant-2006).

He deserves the bashing because he is a troll - elevated to a carbureted troll status. If your so stuck on the "hanging rpm's" sell your car and buy something different!

Now that I got that out, try to find a restricter plate for your IAC. There was some peeps that made some for the Mach 1 IAC's. The restricter plate would allow the rpm's to fall immediately after you got off the accelerator or put the clutch in. From the threads I've read on forums, they seem to work pretty well, but I don't want one. I could care less about hanging rpm's lol.

@azurebluemach
Old 05-18-2015, 09:44 PM   #33
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
I thought he was leaving? Made a big deal about it
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 01:09 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
I thought he was leaving? Made a big deal about it
Who? Panther?

He just got back!
He's not going anywhere...
Old 05-19-2015, 05:03 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

SOrry for missing this flame thread. I was too busy out enjoying how my throttle actually does what I tell it to do

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Tags
2002 mustang