Hating on convertibles? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-15-2014, 06:40 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Hating on convertibles?

So I see a lot of guys that love mustangs to death, but then I tell them I have a 5 speed GT and they hate it just because its convertible! Whats the deal? Does the driving experience really suffer that much from not having a hard top? I agree the hard top looks a lot better, but I don't see what justifies hating convertibles.

Oh and the people who are the most hostile toward them are usually the same ones that go "My brother had 10 mustangs and they were all bad ***". Or "A guy I know has a way cooler mustang" Or "A new v6 mustang would beat that so easy!" Meanwhile they drive a beat up old first gen explorer. Or a station wagon or some ****.

When I got my 99 GT I was all excited and I told my coworkers (at an auto parts store) about it. Nobody had anything positive to say. The girl who says mustangs are her favorite cars told me she hates convertibles, the other one just said I was gay lol.

Do you hate convertibles? and why?
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2014, 06:49 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
i have a convertible gt and i love it and i receive nothing but positive comments on it, but my next one will be a hardtop just because i simply like those better.. never heard anyone call convertible mustangs gay tho, and i dont see how a convertible mustang could be gay. but dont worry about what anybody says about your car as long as you like it screw someone else's opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Riverdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:07 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Well... Convertible mustangs are gay. Jk.

Don't worry what others say about your car...unless its riced out...then don't ignore them lol. But yeah man don't worry about it, its your car your tastes if you like it screw everyone who doesn't like it.

I own a hardtop but I do want to own a convertible at some point in my life. Although I want a convert I wouldn't want one of the newer models 2000 and ahead, they don't look nice to me. I like how the 90-99 covert looks but I would prefer a classic covert say 65-75.
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2014, 07:14 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I just find it to be an interesting phenomenon. I don't get too worked up about it I just get annoyed that adults can be such downers. I don't even hate on autos or V6s as long as they're not riced out. I would say they are jeleous, but then my Ego is too big for having a $5000< car lol
Old 12-15-2014, 07:18 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

In my opinion.. Mustangs and verts just don't go together lol, that's more for Audi and all those rich brands in my opinion..

Naturally Aspirated Is Lyfe
Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:19 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
So I see a lot of guys that love mustangs to death, but then I tell them I have a 5 speed GT and they hate it just because its convertible! Whats the deal? Does the driving experience really suffer that much from not having a hard top? I agree the hard top looks a lot better, but I don't see what justifies hating convertibles.

Oh and the people who are the most hostile toward them are usually the same ones that go "My brother had 10 mustangs and they were all bad ***". Or "A guy I know has a way cooler mustang" Or "A new v6 mustang would beat that so easy!" Meanwhile they drive a beat up old first gen explorer. Or a station wagon or some ****.

When I got my 99 GT I was all excited and I told my coworkers (at an auto parts store) about it. Nobody had anything positive to say. The girl who says mustangs are her favorite cars told me she hates convertibles, the other one just said I was gay lol.

Do you hate convertibles? and why?

I've been driving convertibles since 1991 and never had anyone say anything negative. Maybe you are hanging around with the wrong people, or maybe they are jealous? Here are my ragtops. I don't think any of them are gay. The LeBaron is no longer around. It had a rod go at 227,000 miles. Not bad for a turbo 4 banger.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1418692677.704070.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	710.5 KB
ID:	171965

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1418692717.072206.jpg
Views:	680
Size:	857.8 KB
ID:	171966

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1418692741.460865.jpg
Views:	1348
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	171967

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:30 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laquisha View Post
In my opinion.. Mustangs and verts just don't go together lol, that's more for Audi and all those rich brands in my opinion..

Naturally Aspirated Is Lyfe

Well, you know what they say about opinions...

American car makers have been making convertibles since day 1.

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
Old 12-15-2014, 07:30 PM   #8
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
I like convertibles when the top is down. They are fun and good for cruising, especially in Cali. But I just can't stand the look of that soft top when it's up.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:39 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I definitely prefer hard tops for their aesthetics, but when I was picking out a car, I had criteria that didn't include looks as much. I wanted V8, Rwd, manual transmission, simplicity, and reliability. Mustangs fit that criteria really well, its just that when you only have $3500 you have to sacrifice somewhere. And yeah I cant wait to go tear up back roads with the top down when its 75 degrees! My girlfriend thinks the convertible is cool tho. so theres that lol
Old 12-15-2014, 07:58 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I do agree that you lose the shape and styling of the hard top cars, whatever they be, when the top is up. But they look so good when the top is down and definitely have the fun and free feeling factor.

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
Old 12-15-2014, 08:13 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
I do agree that you lose the shape and styling of the hard top cars, whatever they be, when the top is up. But they look so good when the top is down and definitely have the fun and free feeling factor.

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am

I wonder if having a smoothline removable hard top would be a good medium. Smooth Line Custom Removable Hardtops

You cant expect it to look as integrated as a factory hard top but it might look better than a rag top
Old 12-15-2014, 08:37 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I wonder if having a smoothline removable hard top would be a good medium. Smooth Line Custom Removable Hardtops

You cant expect it to look as integrated as a factory hard top but it might look better than a rag top

To me it's not worth the cost or inconvenience. You are going to have to find a safe place to store it when it is not on the car.

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
Old 12-15-2014, 08:49 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey

Yeah... looks like ***..
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:54 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

My 03 cobra was a vert

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 09:21 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:

I did a lot of looking into getting one of these when I needed to replace my old and worn out top. About 80% of the reviews that people had on the top is that the fitment was terrible and that it had a lot of leaking issues. For the price of their cheapest hard top you can get your self a very nice vinyl or even a cloth top. That's installed too for that price range.

Oxford White Roush Stage 1 SN# 6925--SOLD but never forgotten!
Kona Blue GT premium - Slammed on BC's and BMR's full rear suspension
The_Chech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 09:26 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I think you can blame Barbie and that pink power wheels Mustang for stereotyping the Convertible....that and high speed crashes in convertibles don't typically end well. If your a guy and own a convertible you need a minimum 1000 watts of Stereo in the trunk to kinda offset.

dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 09:58 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave73 View Post
I think you can blame Barbie and that pink power wheels Mustang for stereotyping the Convertible....that and high speed crashes in convertibles don't typically end well. If your a guy and own a convertible you need a minimum 1000 watts of Stereo in the trunk to kinda offset.

But see this adds weight and the trunk in these cars are tiny.... My buddy has some 10's in his and simply can not use his trunk now because of that.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:01 PM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

If you're going to do a hardtop convertible, find one of the 500 Cobras built in 95 as a factory option. There is a beat to **** one in Texas I keep thinking of making an offer on. Would need a lot of work but dammit when it was done it would be sweet to have.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:01 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
If you're going to do a hardtop convertible, find one of the 500 Cobras built in 95 as a factory option. There is a beat to **** one in Texas I keep thinking of making an offer on. Would need a lot of work but dammit when it was done it would be sweet to have.
You know you want another cobra and some thing to work on

Old 12-15-2014, 10:12 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I think a convertible driven by a guy has to have a system! Definitely neutralizes the estrogen and actually attracts women. Try it...put the top down cruise by the local Tiki bar stereo pumping and see for yourself.

dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:16 PM   #21
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Arizona
I love my convertible and being a V6 i get compliments on it all the time. Also i have 2 10s in the back but thats cause i need my base.
Just last week i was playing barbie girl in my car with the top down NO ****S GIVEN
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:40 PM   #22
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chech View Post
You know you want another cobra and some thing to work on
Yep, although I'd have more money in something like that when done probably than just buying a Coyote. Also have been kicking around a $4500 98 Cobra that is mint but got hit in the front right fender. Needs fender/rad support and frame checked. Perfect donor car honestly. Has black suede 03/04 Termi seats and everything. Or just fix and go.

Old 12-15-2014, 11:00 PM   #23
twk
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I'm on my second mustang in a row, both convertibles. As of right now I wouldn't have it any other way. As for the radio, I listen to AM talk radio or I listen to the car, and it's a v6. Top down driving is the only way to go. No woman I ever met said, "Oh crap a damn convertible." 3 women I had in my first vert dropped THEIR tops without any encouraging from me, WHILE we were driving. One more dropped her top in my '09. Again, no encouragement from me. I'm hooked.
twk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:21 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by twk View Post
I'm on my second mustang in a row, both convertibles. As of right now I wouldn't have it any other way. As for the radio, I listen to AM talk radio or I listen to the car, and it's a v6. Top down driving is the only way to go. No woman I ever met said, "Oh crap a damn convertible." 3 women I had in my first vert dropped THEIR tops without any encouraging from me, WHILE we were driving. One more dropped her top in my '09. Again, no encouragement from me. I'm hooked.

It's a lifestyle! I'll never be without at least one! People either get it, or they don't. Convertible people are a lot like Harley people. Very dedicated to the lifestyle.

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
Old 12-15-2014, 11:25 PM   #25
Road Trip!
Regular

Except for the pain it takes to clean it
Old 12-16-2014, 01:39 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by twk View Post
Pictures or it didn't happen...
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 06:41 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joser714 View Post

The stuff I use to clean is as easy as washing and waxing a car

Old 12-16-2014, 06:57 AM   #28
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
if the vert and the hardtop were the same price I'd have a vert

but then I have a V6 so I'm suspect already.....
Old 12-16-2014, 07:33 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joser714 View Post

I wash it while washing the rest of the car just as if it had a hard top. With the Mustang having a vinyl top, I hit it with 303 Aerospace once a month for the UV protection, but I probably wouldn't even have to do that. Not sure what you are referring to. Could you elaborate?

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
Old 12-16-2014, 08:20 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave73 View Post
I think a convertible driven by a guy has to have a system! Definitely neutralizes the estrogen and actually attracts women. Try it...put the top down cruise by the local Tiki bar stereo pumping and see for yourself.

Good thing I kept my subs, amps, and speakers from my last car! I thought of that too lol. I have a power acoustik 1800 watt amp and two MTX thunders. Power acoustik is made by soundstream and they are really good amps for the price. And a 720 watt speaker amp running 2 6x9s I just haven't installed it all yet.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:03 AM   #31
twk
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Yes, you do pay a bit more for the vert, and the insurance company wants a cut too. That part sucks, but there are a lot of people paying that price for that open ride feel.

Yeah, "Pictures or it didn't happen..."
I wish I had picts too. I'm afraid I have none. /sigh

Luckily we don't all like the same things, otherwise we'd all drive the same car, same color, same everything else. It would be utopia. Who wants that?
twk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:12 AM   #32
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
I wash it while washing the rest of the car just as if it had a hard top. With the Mustang having a vinyl top, I hit it with 303 Aerospace once a month for the UV protection, but I probably wouldn't even have to do that. Not sure what you are referring to. Could you elaborate?

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
Well when i wash it i use meguires top cleaner (forgive me if i spelled it wrong) it might be that my micro fiber sucks or just the az dust but it always ends up looking old even though the topis almost 2 years old. Honestly thats the only reason i hate verts. But my technique might be the one to blame
Old 12-16-2014, 09:16 AM   #33
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
There sure ain't nothing wrong in having a VERT.

Of course I live in Florida where a Convertible is a most usable feature almost all year long.
My Mustang is a 2012 coupe but I do have a 66 convertable when I want to go topless.

Of course it is a six cylinder automatic and belongs to my friend Shari but I still love it and use it more then Shari does.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:28 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

I think a vert is a great weekend car, when the weather is awesome type of ride. Around 10 years ago, I rented a GT convertible and it was kinda neat and cool to drive around.

Personally, if I decided to get a convertible it would be the new 2016 MX 5. But, I don't hate Mustang convertibles either. With the top down on a cool, sunny afternoon....
Old 12-16-2014, 09:49 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post

Yeah... looks like ***..
That roll bar makes it perfectly manly to have your top down lol. Where can I get one and for how much? Do you just weld it onto the frame?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT