Need advice for parts. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-24-2014, 02:02 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Need advice for parts.

So I figured out the low idle. It's the torque converter. And I have a list of other parts too. So I need to know what type of parts I need that u recommend. I'm prob getting the torque converter from rock auto. Unless there is a good performance for cheap but I doubt it. Next I need a good engine and tranny mount. And what is another name for a rear main seal. Going to look into doing all the work at once at the shop on base since I can life it in the air. Oh yea also a crank case seal lower control arm and a oil pan gasket. Thanks again everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
rollo1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2014, 07:05 AM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Get ahold of Freakshow Performance in Abilene, Texas. His converters are really good, a lot less $$ than you think and well worth it. If you are going to do the converter, seriously SERIOUSLY do not put a stock one back in... Its on of THE best performance upgrades you can do for your automatic Mustang. Good converter and the j-mod and you'll outlaunch and outshift the sticks.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:48 AM   #3
WJL
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I just have to ask, what is your low idle problem and how did you determine or figure out it is the Torque Converter ?
WJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2014, 10:54 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Just when I drive slow rpms not right. It I start the car and put it in reverse the car will try to die and rpms will go hay wire. Took it to ford and coughed up the money for them to inspect the whole car. They told me the torque converter was bad and recommended me to get a new transmission. I told them hell no if all I have to do is a torque converter. They said it was a $1900 job. And I know I can do it myself In prob under six hours at the self shop on base.

Old 12-24-2014, 10:58 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Well, if you want to fix it, Rollo, you can buy the complete front control arm from Rockauto as well as most everything else. I'll post up a new Rockauto 5% discount code in the General Mustang forum.
The crankshaft seals are typically referred to as the front crankshaft seal and the rear crankshaft seal, respectively. Front and rear main seals is also another term to describe them.
Depending on your goals for the car, I don't see anything wrong with using factory replacement parts. I dont know anything about those TC's that Scotty suggested but, if they are inexpensive, Id look into something like that.

I suppose that the reason for the low idle must be that the torque converter is not "unlocking" all of the way and is causing too much "drag" on the engine for the IAC to be able to compensate for.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 12:28 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yea what sucks is that I took it to a tranny shop. Thy said it was fun. Thanks for explaining. I need to keep it for at least another year. Why not if it and make it better. Lol. Going to Korea in oct and leaving the car inaz with the parents.

Old 12-24-2014, 04:41 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I used a B&M Hole Shot converter with a 2K stall on a Bronco I used for hunting and crawling around the woods, also used a Stage Two Shift Kit. I was happy with the products and the Bronco is still on the road it's just changed owners twice.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:37 AM   #8
WJL
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Make sense, I took my trans out, did the j-mod and put it back in in my driveway in a weekend. Good Luck
WJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 11:32 AM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
B&M converters are the bottom of the barrel honestly. They are better than the stockers but you might as well pay an extra $100-$150 for a much better one while the whole trans is out.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT