Building My 4.6 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-24-2014, 07:13 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Building My 4.6

This is my new Edelbrock intake Victor Jr. 4.6L EFI

I have get the MMR PN#220117 Edelbrock intake adapter, to make it fit with the edelbrock fuel rails , and fuel regulator

1998 GT, Edelbrock Victor Jr. Ford 4.6L SOHC, Edelbrock Fuel Rails, 1999 Gt Engine w/ PI Heads,Accufab 70mm TB & Plenum,Fuel Pressure Regulator 515 Series Inline Return Style, 25-90 psi, Underdrive Pulleys,MSD ignition coils ,4.10 gears,Diablo Sport Predator Tuner

ultrawhiteSN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2014, 07:21 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Sweet! Is this going on a stock motor for now?
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 07:32 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Always wanted to see how well these work on a 4.6 with the adapter plate

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Oxford White Roush Stage 1 SN# 6925--SOLD but never forgotten!
Kona Blue GT premium - Slammed on BC's and BMR's full rear suspension
The_Chech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2014, 08:05 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yea , its just a re-build my brother and i did , has bbk headers , pi heads , accufab throttle body , i baught the comp cams , then found out they were bolt on not pressed on

I have this same TB and intake so mines will look like this also

1998 GT, Edelbrock Victor Jr. Ford 4.6L SOHC, Edelbrock Fuel Rails, 1999 Gt Engine w/ PI Heads,Accufab 70mm TB & Plenum,Fuel Pressure Regulator 515 Series Inline Return Style, 25-90 psi, Underdrive Pulleys,MSD ignition coils ,4.10 gears,Diablo Sport Predator Tuner

Old 12-25-2014, 09:56 AM   #5
WJL
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Hey let us know how it performs, i would love to do this mod
WJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 06:48 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
From what I hear you pick up a little top end and lose some bottom end on a stock motor.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 04:44 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Losing a little bottom end power isnt that bad and gaining top end since this is a 4.6 and naturally aspirated thats why they can go to high rpms with no problems

Old 12-28-2014, 04:48 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
What do you consider high rpm's

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 04:49 PM   #9
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
From what I hear you pick up a little top end and lose some bottom end on a stock motor.

It's just like the Boss manifold. Better for top end. And the same idea applies that to take advantage of it you need to spin the motor higher.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 04:50 PM   #10
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
What do you consider high rpm's

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

For a 4.6 most consider high rpms around 7-7.5k. I eventually plan on taking mine to 8k

HID end all thread
Old 12-28-2014, 05:45 PM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

He's on stock valvetrain tho. Going to be shifting at 5800-6k. PI intake flows fine at that level. PI intake is not a restriction if you have stock heads.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:52 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

even though PI heads ( Performance Improvement ) are considered stock heads on 99 and up mustangs, they are upgraded heads , since they can fit 96-98 mustangs , and that alone makes PI heads on a 96-98 block a considerable upgrade in performance and able to withstand high rpms even higher to 7500 + rpms with no problem , espicially with aftermarket aluminum intakes with thresolds and some intakes up to 8500 rpms +

Old 12-28-2014, 08:22 PM   #13
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Building My 4.6

PI heads on an NPI motor is just going to increase compression a little bit. That's about it. PI cams fall on their face after 5400rpm. They do flow better than NPI heads, but you won't be going any higher than 6500 with them and aftermarket cams. Don't even plan on higher than 7500 in a 2v without TFS heads.

HID end all thread
Old 12-29-2014, 07:04 AM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrawhiteSN95 View Post
even though PI heads ( Performance Improvement ) are considered stock heads on 99 and up mustangs, they are upgraded heads , since they can fit 96-98 mustangs , and that alone makes PI heads on a 96-98 block a considerable upgrade in performance and able to withstand high rpms even higher to 7500 + rpms with no problem , espicially with aftermarket aluminum intakes with thresolds and some intakes up to 8500 rpms +
Wrong. PI heads will not flow well past 6200 without a lot of porting nor will the stock valvesprings support much more than 6k. An Eddy intake on stock PI heads and rotating assembly is a waste of money honestly. Unless you are going to be spraying and are worried about puddling.

Not to mention the cast crank won't go above 7k safely and the stock powdered rods are right at their safe limit there too.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:36 PM   #15

@ Ultrawhite ..

Whats the conclusion on the mod?

Did you get it to fit?

And if yes, could you post a photo and some details on the performance please, thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Mustang_Tale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 01:11 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Yes i will , just waiting on my edelbrock fuel rails , for some reason mostly every mustang site or after market site , the fuel rails for this intake are on back order ,and the mmr adapter has been ordered

Old 01-04-2015, 12:26 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
He's on stock valvetrain tho. Going to be shifting at 5800-6k. PI intake flows fine at that level. PI intake is not a restriction if you have stock heads.
It may not be a restriction, but I feel as though an aftermarket intake could move the power around in the rpm range. That edelbrock intake looks really trick too. Its worth it just for that effect depending on your financial situation
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 12:45 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Well ill update the photos , just got the motor in tonight - it was a pain - my brother and i had to drop the drive shaft and transmission to get the motor in the car - just wouldn't fit at all , never had to drop the tranny or drive shaft in anyother engine rebuild or swap. The mmr adaptor plate will be in thursday, and the edelbrock fuel rails still havent came yet , they said it will be shipped on Monday since the holidays and weather has affected the deliver times and dates -

Old 01-04-2015, 12:55 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well ill update the photos , just got the motor in tonight - it was a pain - my brother and i had to drop the drive shaft and transmission to get the motor in the car - just wouldn't fit at all , never had to drop the tranny or drive shaft in anyother engine rebuild or swap. The mmr adaptor plate will be in thursday, and the edelbrock fuel rails still havent came yet , they said it will be shipped on Monday since the holidays and weather has affected the deliver times and dates -

that looks great! I should paint my valve covers. I actually did an engine replacement this week and I just pulled the trans out with the engine. It was my first engine replacement and It took me 4 days
Old 01-04-2015, 08:17 AM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

Looks good. Unsure how you even got the motor out with the trans in. Its way easier with a Mustang to just pull the trans and motor out as one unit with the hood off. Also makes it way easier to install.

Old 01-04-2015, 02:54 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
that looks great! I should paint my valve covers. I actually did an engine replacement this week and I just pulled the trans out with the engine. It was my first engine replacement and It took me 4 days
Yea you should always looks better to have something under the hood painted , took us about half a day to pull the motor out , we both just go at it and get it done.

Quote:
Looks good. Unsure how you even got the motor out with the trans in. Its way easier with a Mustang to just pull the trans and motor out as one unit with the hood off. Also makes it way easier to install.
We took everything out of the car , everything ac compressor ,radiator , TB it was totally naked , always take the hood off - taking it out was easy - but never thought it would be that hard putting it back in though - but now we know when we do a 4.6 engine rebuild or swap we will take out the tranny and drive shaft just so it will be easier to put back in

Old 01-08-2015, 06:11 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

MMR adapter plate

My mmr adaptor plate came in today, the only thing im waiting on now is my edelbrock fuel rails , they come in tomorrow - my accufab polished plenom gonna look bad a$$

Old 01-08-2015, 06:51 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I think Im going to paint my valve covers in ford blue after seeing your painted valve covers. You have a lot of edelbrock going on, so the red makes sense. I only have an edelbrock carb. NOt a lot of red going on under there so Im gonna use blue. id like to get an intake like yours though
Old 01-08-2015, 07:21 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
I think Im going to paint my valve covers in ford blue after seeing your painted valve covers. You have a lot of edelbrock going on, so the red makes sense. I only have an edelbrock carb. NOt a lot of red going on under there so Im gonna use blue. id like to get an intake like yours though
Thanks bro , red is my favorite color , so red is kinda my thing bro - when you paint your valve covers be sure to sand them but not to rough , then make sure you use a primer , then paint them ford blue and after they dry be sure to clear them also makes them shine really nice , everything i needed i got from autozone or o'reilly either is fine ,i even painted my thermostat housing red lol

Old 01-08-2015, 07:28 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks bro , red is my favorite color , so red is kinda my thing bro - when you paint your valve covers be sure to sand them but not to rough , then make sure you use a primer , then paint them ford blue and after they dry be sure to clear them also makes them shine really nice , everything i needed i got from autozone or o'reilly either is fine ,i even painted my thermostat housing red lol
Yeah for some reason I didn't even think of putting clear coat on it in this case. I always like to buff the base coat with a micro fiber rag and some rubbing compound, put the clear on, and then buff that too the same way. I can get it looking pretty good with just rattle cans
Old 01-09-2015, 10:43 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Fuel Rails

My edelbrock fuel rails came today , so i guess ill be heading to the shop and put them on with my MMR adaptor plate and TB , ill update the pictures later tonight.

Old 01-09-2015, 05:45 PM   #27

awesome. thanks for the update..

I think I've read a discussion blog regarding that this particular mod on the low-end spectrum of the engines performance; would cause it to lose some power?

But the mod is primarily focused on high-end gains?

Old 01-10-2015, 05:38 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I put the fuel rails and MMR adaptor plate on today an put on the TB , and basically just put some things to place on the motor -

Old 01-14-2015, 03:20 PM   #29

it looks fantastic. please post some more updates when ur able to . thanks

Old 01-14-2015, 08:01 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I will soon , havent had the time lately

Old 05-01-2015, 10:50 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

The motor is now in , and this build with the edelbrock victor jr intake is the most incomplete mod i ever had to do , would not recommend it at all - about close to $250 in fittings alone , and my hood will not close because the intake is like 3 inches taller then the stock intake , so now im looking for a 2.5 inch cowl hood so that i can close my hood , so when i drive it i take my hood off , then puts it back on when i park it and put the tarp over it , such a pain

Question now that i have the motor in and insurance and tag , it feels like its bogging down if i want to pass someone , strange and i uped the fuel pressure from 25psi to 40psi just to see if the problem was that it wasnt getting enough fuel but the problem is still there , new ngk irridium TR55XI spark plus gaped at .054 , new everything damn near

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT