Isolaters or nah? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-29-2014, 08:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Isolaters or nah?

So for Christmas my gf got me some sr springs.. AM recommended rubber Isolaters to Her.. So she got them.

You don't have to have the Isolaters right?

I've read SR's are one of the ones that you don't NEED camber plates on.. Is that right?

I've also read that SR's don't drop that much as is.. So if I don't need the Isolaters, and I put them on.. Will there be much drop at all? If not, I will keep the Isolaters off if plausible. Arent the isolators just for a smoother ride?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the answers.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2014, 10:27 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
You don't have to install the isolators if you don't want to, they'll usually add a quarter to half an inch to your drop depending in how bad your old ones are. The SR springs drop 1.5" if I remember right so you can try to get away without C/C plates. Isolators are there to reduce NVH (noise, vibration, and harshness). When I removed mine I didn't notice much of a difference in NVH personally, all I did is wrap the ends of the springs in electrical tape to reduce the metal on metal contact
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:41 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
So for Christmas my gf got me some sr springs.. AM recommended rubber Isolaters to Her.. So she got them.

I've read SR's are one of the ones that you don't NEED camber plates on.. Is that right?

I've also read that SR's don't drop that much as is.. So if I don't need the Isolaters, and I put them on.. Will there be much drop at all? If not, I will keep the Isolaters off if plausible. Arent the isolators just for a smoother ride?

I just transferred my oem isolators onto my SR springs. Didnt use caster plates or bolts but did buy the j&m adjustable panhard bar. My rear end was only out around 1/4". Drove my car like this for months with no issues.
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2014, 10:49 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshow14 View Post
I just transferred my oem isolators onto my SR springs. Didnt use caster plates or bolts but did buy the j&m adjustable panhard bar. My rear end was only out around 1/4". Drove my car like this for months with no issues.
His/her mustang is a 99-04 these don't come with a panhard this was in 05 when they changed the rear

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Oxford White Roush Stage 1 SN# 6925--SOLD but never forgotten!
Kona Blue GT premium - Slammed on BC's and BMR's full rear suspension
The_Chech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:36 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I think with the 1.5" drop you will be fine without the CC plates. I have H&R supersports and I needed that little extra bit for my alignment so you should be OK there or get real close to spec on the alignment. I wish I would have installed mine without the isos. I would have wrapped them in a heavy tape or use a bicycle tire and wrapped that around the bottom instead. I have always heard that the SR springs are a good spring for the price. I vote without isos for your application.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:55 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chech View Post
His/her mustang is a 99-04 these don't come with a panhard this was in 05 when they changed the rear

Sorry goof on my part. Thanks I was speed reading
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 07:26 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Alright so sounds like I will leave the isolators in the box. Who has a1.5 drop here? I'm wondering if it's really worth the money to install if it won't drop me that much. Wondering if it will be enough to achieve that aggressive stance. I will be paying to get them installed with a front end alignment. Guessing around 400$

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 12-30-2014, 08:16 AM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
At 1.5" you'll need CC plates. If not have fun buying new tires every year. Get the Max Motorsports CC plates, the SR ones are trash.

There is the right way to do this and then the cheap out way that'll wind up costing you more in the future. Ppl always seem to have the $$ to do things right the second time around.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 08:16 AM   #9
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:

Hey V6-She got you car parts for Christmas!? Time to start shopping for a ring!

We recommend them because if you're going to have them swapped out it's a good idea to trash the OEM pieces as they're likely going to be heavily deteriorated/weathered. Especially for a 16 year old car I would use them as the noise/vibration could become a nuisance. This is just my .02 and I've done this on my '01 as well.

If you do have them used they're so small they honestly wont affect the drop/look of the car: Id say "Ya", I think you'll be happier in the long run with the ride quality:

If you're looking on the SR Performance Lowering Springs page check out the Customer Submitted Images to get a better idea of how they're going to look on your car.

Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 09:47 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

At 1.5" he should be on the border of CC plates. Im 1 3/4" lower than stock and my alignment guy said I barely needed them. Typically in the alignment Shop I go to they can align mustang's with a 1.5" drop without CC plates. They quoted me this before I lowered my car at all so I knew what I needed to install to make things right.

Old 12-30-2014, 03:23 PM   #11
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
1.5 inches is on the border of needing CC plates. Anything after 1.5 inches and you better order some CC plates. Plus their range of adjustability for your alignment is awesome. As for brand. Maximum Motorsports. Nothing else.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 11:04 AM   #12
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
1.5 inches is on the border of needing CC plates. Anything after 1.5 inches and you better order some CC plates. Plus their range of adjustability for your alignment is awesome. As for brand. Maximum Motorsports. Nothing else.
Not sure how i manged to forget this, thanks Soc! On the plates I think the Maximum Motorsports are the best out there as well, those guys don't mess around!
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 11:30 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I was thinking of just doing the springs myself but does it require anything special? If I could pay my friend 100$ to help, that's way better than the 400$ for a mechanic. Has anyone paid for install before and if so how much did it cost? Seems like i should just put the isolators on if it won't make that big of a difference.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 12-31-2014, 11:42 AM   #14
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Doing the springs is ridiculously easy. Took me a few hours my first time, but now they are cake. This is the video i used to help me do it. Helps a lot

HID end all thread
Old 12-31-2014, 12:31 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, definitely get isolators. My car squeaks now.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
XSlashDashX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:02 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
If you do leave the isos out I'd definitely wrap/tape the ends of the springs. I used black electrical tape on my H&R Super Sports for my 03 over three years ago and they've been fine.

It sounds like you want a more aggressive drop..slammed rather than mild.

1.5" is probably the lowest you'll want to go if the car is a daily driver or if the local roads are in poor condition. My 03 is lowered over 2" in the front and ~1.8" in the rear and I've had to completely alter my driving habits (when I actually do drive the car). I also cannot turn to full lock after the drop and with 17x9's.

Do let me know how much the car dropped once the springs settle and if you left the isos out. I have a set sitting in my room waiting for the Mach this spring

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:05 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
If you do leave the isos out I'd definitely wrap/tape the ends of the springs. I used black electrical tape on my H&R Super Sports for my 03 over three years ago and they've been fine.

1.5" is probably the lowest you'll want to go if the car is a daily driver or if the local roads are in poor condition. My 03 is lowered over 2" in the front and ~1.8" in the rear and I've had to completely alter my driving habits (when I actually do drive the car). I also cannot turn to full lock after the drop and with 17x9's.

Do let me know how much the car dropped once the springs settle and if you left the isos out. I have a set sitting in my room waiting for the Mach this spring
You rub with a 2" drop? That's weird cause mine doesn't have any issues with rubbing and it's dropped 2.5" up front.

OP I'll try and download some of my older pictures later tonight from when mine was lowered on H&R Race springs
Old 01-01-2015, 10:15 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile high JDF View Post
You rub with a 2" drop? That's weird cause mine doesn't have any issues with rubbing and it's dropped 2.5" up front.

OP I'll try and download some of my older pictures later tonight from when mine was lowered on H&R Race springs
Yah I rub the sway bar pretty bad at full lock..maybe it's the 9" wheels. How wide are your fronts? Mine are 275's. And 2.5 inches??!! I'm assuming coilovers or bags...

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:22 PM   #19
ME Bloodhound
Staff

I'm lowered on coilovers pretty low in the front with 275/35s on an 18x9. Very very very minor rubbing on the sway bar on full lock. Enough to where I can't even feel it, you can only see where the tire touches the sway bar when the wheel is off and looking at it. No marks on the tires either.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1420172537.730801.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	172739

Bullitts are better than Bullets

HID end all thread
Old 01-01-2015, 10:49 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yah I rub the sway bar pretty bad at full lock..maybe it's the 9" wheels. How wide are your fronts? Mine are 275's. And 2.5 inches??!! I'm assuming coilovers or bags...
I have 9" wheels but only 245s and previously had 255s so that may be the difference. I'm on cut springs that I inherited with my IRS.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:35 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Finally got around to downloading those pictures again. Dropped on H&R Race springs
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1420248839488.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	172768   Click image for larger version

Name:	1420248892859.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	172769  

Name:	1420248907129.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	172770   Click image for larger version

Name:	1420248928795.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	172771  

Old 01-02-2015, 08:58 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I had mine lowered with eibach pro kit for a while(avi pic). All I needed were camber bolts.

My wheels rubbed the front sway bar at full lock as well. Ended up going back to stock with poly isos, been thinking about pulling the rears to lower a bit.
Billgluckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:20 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah probably a good choice. Our roads are pretty poor in this town and isolators would probably help with the ride. I'm just worried about spending this money and it barely doing anything. Oh well live and learn I suppose.

Soccer, thats a great video thanks for sharing. Unfortunately nothing goes as smooth for me as it does for the video makers lol. Maybe I can pay my friend 100$ and we can get it done together.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 01-03-2015, 12:25 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile high JDF View Post
Finally got around to downloading those pictures again. Dropped on H&R Race springs

Car has a good stance. It's probably dropped more than Sr's will though, right? I hear eibachs are really good.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 01-03-2015, 12:32 PM   #25
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Isolaters or nah?

Quote:
Car has a good stance. It's probably dropped more than Sr's will though, right? I hear eibachs are really good.

H&R race springs are around a 1" drop give or take. The SRs are a 1.5" drop I believe. But the H&Rs will outperform the SR springs.

HID end all thread
Old 01-03-2015, 01:49 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
H&R race springs are around a 1" drop give or take. The SRs are a 1.5" drop I believe. But the H&Rs will outperform the SR springs.

Quote:

That was dropped 1.5", I removed the front and rear isolators to get that
Old 01-03-2015, 03:10 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I'm old school going all out doing it right or nothiong at all. Same parts on each SN95, just different manufacturures maybe.
-C/C plates
-X2 balljoints
-bumpsteer kit
-Fox Body/SN95 struts/shocks
-Purchase or modify springs to 2" drop or more.
-No iso's, just electrical wrap.
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 04:31 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Here is my wheel gap atm.. Hopefully springs will help it ALOT. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1420497053.477366.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	173002Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1420497074.699922.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	173003Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1420497104.249303.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	173004

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 01-05-2015, 04:34 PM   #29
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Here is my wheel gap atm.. Hopefully springs will help it ALOT. Attachment 173002Attachment 173003Attachment 173004

4x4 status lol

HID end all thread
Old 01-05-2015, 07:50 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

The springs will help a ton. You will like it with a 1.5" drop. You may have to let them break in a little to get the full 1.5" after a few hundred miles. At least I know some springs can be that way. Mine dropped about 1/4" after 500-600 miles or so. So don't get discouraged right away. I know after a while my 1 3/4" drop isn't enough I want it about another 1/2" lower now but I'm still satisfied with the look verse the way it was before.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:43 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
If you take your iso's out post what you think about nvh. I think im going to take mine out when I lose the pro kit and put in my tein s tech springs...

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 01-08-2015, 08:56 PM   #32
ME Bloodhound
Staff

I took my isolators out on my stock springs. Made no difference. No such thing as isolators with these coilovers also. I only hear them with the windows down and I'm going through corners.

HID end all thread
Old 01-08-2015, 09:49 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Did you do the electrical tape method? Soccer, I have an s197 bullitt for sale with you name all over it lol

Old 01-08-2015, 09:55 PM   #34
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geiger View Post
Did you do the electrical tape method? Soccer, I have an s197 bullitt for sale with you name all over it lol

Nope. Just took the isolators off and put the springs back on.

I'd love another Bullitt, but I gotta start saving for a DD lol

HID end all thread
Old 01-08-2015, 09:57 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Nope. Just took the isolators off and put the springs back on.

I'd love another Bullitt, but I gotta start saving for a DD lol

Any noticeable drop in height? I think the tein s techs are 2.5" and 2.7" drop.... combined with no isolators i should chew up the chin spoiler in no time

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT