Running carb with stock ignition - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-31-2014, 08:49 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Running carb with stock ignition

So the fuel pump went out on my car today and it wont run, but I do have an old carb and a 7 psi fuel pump that I can get hooked up easily. My question is, can I just plop the carb on top of the intake manifold, hook up my fuel pump, turn the key, and drive? Will I have ignition problems?

I have always hated EFI and now I think I want to finally get rid of it now that it is also the easiest option financially for me. My bank account has $50 in it and I don't get paid until next Thursday .
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2014, 10:58 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
No it won't run, the ecu would have to be completely retuned to run a carb instead of efi. It wouldn't be able to set fuel trims or adjust fuel pressure or anything like that
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:56 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile high JDF View Post
No it won't run, the ecu would have to be completely retuned to run a carb instead of efi. It wouldn't be able to set fuel trims or adjust fuel pressure or anything like that
Yeah I wouldn't be relying on the EFI fuel system to provide fuel though. I would only be relying on the ignition system to provide spark. I thought I could just ground out the injectors so that there is no fuel coming out of them and into the cylinder, remove my throttle body, put a carb there, and rely on that for fuel delivery.

Its sort of like how when you have a bad fuel pump, but you spray starting fluid into the intake to start it and it runs for however long it takes to burn off the starting fluid. Except I will use gas and never run out because its supplied constantly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2015, 12:37 PM   #4
Registered Member

Region: New Jersey
Carburetor works on a low pressure fuel delivery, and the ignition would have to be mechanically driven via camshaft, so you'd need a older style distributor. You would need to remove all EFI system, run a electric fuel pump running low pressure and you would also need to regulate delivery from fuel pump to carburetor. Cheaper to keep the EFI, and also more efficient.
DeepImpactPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 01:16 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepImpactPony View Post
Carburetor works on a low pressure fuel delivery, and the ignition would have to be mechanically driven via camshaft, so you'd need a older style distributor. You would need to remove all EFI system, run a electric fuel pump running low pressure and you would also need to regulate delivery from fuel pump to carburetor. Cheaper to keep the EFI, and also more efficient.
WHats this you say about regulating the fuel pressure? My fuel pump says it self regulates at 7 psi. Is that what you are talking about? Do carbs use a return or returnless fuel system usually?

Do I have to get one of those in line fprs? Because I can get one for like $10 lol. I just don't know what PSI fpr I should get
Old 01-01-2015, 01:26 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

My idea for this really just came from using starting fluid.

When I Spray starting fluid in, it runs until the fluid is burned up. I could keep the car running on that all day long if I had enough starting fluid (I know not to do that of course)

Why would it run off the external fuel source in starting fluid form, but not run off an external fuel source if it was coming from a carburetor?

Im not trying to say you guys are wrong btw I just don't understand it thoroughly
Old 01-01-2015, 01:54 PM   #7
Registered Member

Region: New Jersey
Personally, I would just replace the pump, and drive it, in the long run you'd be better off.
DeepImpactPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 02:01 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I would like to do that except I don't have any money lol. Plus I have always wanted to try a carb just for the purity of it. Muscle car purist here lol.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:03 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I think that you are better off leaving the EFI but I don't see why it wouldn't run if you could somehow connect the TPS to the throttle on the carburetor. Like JDF said, it would probably need a tune to make it run good.
JDF actually posted something about a carbureted modular engine a while back so I know that it's possible. Just not sure what exactly was done to the tune to make it work.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 06:12 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Guys I just bolted on my edelbrock 650 and it fired first crank. NOw I am going to make an adapter plate so it sits the way it needs to and drive it. after I hookup my serpentine belt and ps pump and water pump.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:17 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Haha.
Go Panther!!!

It'll be interesting to see how this works!
Old 01-01-2015, 09:33 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Link to the carb'd 4.6 http://www.coloradostangs.com/index....ect-v6-sleeper

Condensed version for those who don't feel like going through 600+ posts http://www.sn95forums.com/showthread.php?t=62233

It's doable but doing it for cheap isn't gonna happen. But I will say that having seen the one in those links was pretty sweet
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:07 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I did it for the cost of a carb and low psi fuel pump that I had laying around haha
Old 01-01-2015, 11:11 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

got the car running mint. idles a touch lopey (which is a big PLUS) but throttle response is orgasmic. feels super connected to the throttle and when you let off the gas, it instantly throttles down. none of this hanging rev ****.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:24 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

That's awesome!
So it runs pretty good with just the factory tune?
Did you hook up the TPS?
Old 01-01-2015, 11:25 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile high JDF View Post
Link to the carb'd 4.6 http://www.coloradostangs.com/index....ect-v6-sleeper

Condensed version for those who don't feel like going through 600+ posts 2v quest for power

It's doable but doing it for cheap isn't gonna happen. But I will say that having seen the one in those links was pretty sweet
thank you for those links theres good info in there for sure
Old 01-01-2015, 11:40 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
That's awesome!
So it runs pretty good with just the factory tune?
Did you hook up the TPS?
yeah its all hooked up still. The injectors and fuel rail are sitting there and if I put a fuel pump in it they would work too. The TPS isn't even hooked up yet to be honest, but I am going to do that tomorrow morning when I finish getting the car road ready. I don't even have the throttle cable hooked up yet. all I did was start it up for a minute and rev it a few times

All I did was plop a 13 year old edelbrock on instead of the throttle body, fill it with gas and then turn the key lol.

I was worried it wouldn't work but it does lol. I LOVE the simplicity of it. From now on, if I have a fuel system issue, I know EXACTLY where to look instantly. there are exactly 2 components to my fuel system and they are butter to work with.

I have my cheap fuel pump in an easy access spot, a switch on my dash to turn it on, and a carb sitting on the intake that I can adjust with hand tools that work every time.

I do know there are down sides to having a carb, but those can be overcome with wrenches on the spot. The downsides to having EFI usually require special tools and at least a day or two of down time. As a car enthusiast, I don't mind tuning a carb once or twice a year as weather changes. Would a soccer mom want my car to own? probably not haha. its a labor of love for sure. I spent this entire week replacing my engine and transmission in my garage and I never got sick of it.

Rear wheel drive, manual transmission, v8, carbureted car.
Perfect commuter car in Wisconsin isn't it? haha

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT