Intake through the hood - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-02-2015, 10:13 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Intake through the hood

My edelbrock carb does not fit very well underneath my stock hood. at all... What should I do?

Ive thought about cutting a hole in the hood the same shape as the air cleaner and enjoy the glorious uniqueness of an air cleaner sticking out the hood on a 1999 GT, but that is irreversible and I am not going to impulsively hack up my hood.

I cant buy another hood right now tho... so Should I just say F*ck it and get out some cutting utensils?
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2015, 10:20 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Where does the air cleaner fall relative to the stock hood "scoop" indentation on your current hood and how high does the cleaner stick up?

I ask because you might be able to throw on an 01-04 GT hood scoop, cut a hole thru the hood and no one will be the wiser. It'll have a nice sleeper look and won't really affect the hood until someone removes the hood scoop.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:35 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Naw, just remove the hood completely and get a super tall velocity stack with an air cleaner to sit on top of that Edelbrock. Hell, maybe even put a spacer underneath the carb to get the whole setup to sit a little higher.

That's how we used to roll in the days before fuel injection!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2015, 11:54 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Naw, just remove the hood completely and get a super tall velocity stack with an air cleaner to sit on top of that Edelbrock. Hell, maybe even put a spacer underneath the carb to get the whole setup to sit a little higher.

That's how we used to roll in the days before fuel injection!
I love that old school stuff. Keep in mind this is my daily driver. And I live in Wisconsin. And I commute an hour to school haha.

I love my ridiculous carbureted mustang. There are PLENTY of boring and unoriginal cars on the road.. Im in my car so damn much that it HAS to be entertaining, or I fall asleep at the wheel. I need to contstantly be terrified by small issues or else its just too easy and I doze off. Dozing off would be pretty bad in my car since it has no air bag (aftermarket wheel from previous owner).

So those reasons are why I am going to cut a hole in my hood tomorrow!! If I don't like it, I can just get a different hood (the only alternative as it is anyways...) Can anybody even hate on an intake sticking through a late model car?
Old 01-03-2015, 02:45 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
If its going to stick out anywhere in the middle, you can always find or make a scoop to cover it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
irishn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 03:21 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
My thought is what if the filter sucks up water/snow from sticking out of the hood?
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:42 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I am worried about the snow/rain thing. I would probably have to get a hood scoop that has the opening at the rear of it instead of the front
Old 01-03-2015, 12:07 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Its not bad for the car to breathe some rain, but its not good for the engine and electrical components to be rained on or get wet.

Old 01-03-2015, 01:36 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
I love that old school stuff. Keep in mind this is my daily driver. And I live in Wisconsin. And I commute an hour to school haha.

I love my ridiculous carbureted mustang. There are PLENTY of boring and unoriginal cars on the road.. Im in my car so damn much that it HAS to be entertaining, or I fall asleep at the wheel. I need to contstantly be terrified by small issues or else its just too easy and I doze off. Dozing off would be pretty bad in my car since it has no air bag (aftermarket wheel from previous owner).

So those reasons are why I am going to cut a hole in my hood tomorrow!! If I don't like it, I can just get a different hood (the only alternative as it is anyways...) Can anybody even hate on an intake sticking through a late model car?
I miss those days.

Guys would put a tunnel ram with two four barrels on top of their small-block, take the hood off of the car and drive it to high school. Haha. The cars would typically run like crap unless they were running wide-open. They looked like they were fast though!
When I'm at car shows, I find that I don't even look at the cars that are mid 1970's or newer... I'm still attracted to the cars of my youth, and the taller the engine, the better!
Maybe I should put a big block and a straight front axle on one of my Bullitts and have a gasser style New Edge.

I was just looking at my car and it looks like the center of the engine is right under the hood scoop so maybe you could cut a hole and the air cleaner will be completely covered by the scoop so that you can drive in winter weather. You may need to get a smaller diameter air cleaner.
In most places it's against the law to drive without a hood, but I recommend that you just remove the hood until you get all of the kinks worked out. There may be some tuning to do after you actually drive the car around a bit.
I think that this is a cool project!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 01:40 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Too much electrical to go hoodless these days.

Old 01-03-2015, 01:53 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
I miss those days.

Guys would put a tunnel ram with two four barrels on top of their small-block, take the hood off of the car and drive it to high school. Haha. The cars would typically run like crap unless they were running wide-open. They looked like they were fast though!
When I'm at car shows, I find that I don't even look at the cars that are mid 1970's or newer... I'm still attracted to the cars of my youth, and the taller the engine, the better!
Maybe I should put a big block and a straight front axle on one of my Bullitts and have a gasser style New Edge.

I was just looking at my car and it looks like the center of the engine is right under the hood scoop so maybe you could cut a hole and the air cleaner will be completely covered by the scoop so that you can drive in winter weather. You may need to get a smaller diameter air cleaner.
In most places it's against the law to drive without a hood, but I recommend that you just remove the hood until you get all of the kinks worked out. There may be some tuning to do after you actually drive the car around a bit.
I think that this is a cool project!

Wide open is the only time you need it to run good anyways haha. And yeah I have tuning to do for sure. The weather has changed 30 degrees just in the past 5 days that this project has been going on for. Good thing I work at an auto parts store I need new springs for my metering rods, fatter main jets, some idle screw adjusting, and I have to figure out why only one flap opens on top of the carb when I turn the choke off now lol. Im a rookie with car carburetors but I can make a dirt bike run like a raped ape

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT