coolant and heater core. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-03-2015, 06:51 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
coolant and heater core.

yesterday I put my coolant back in the car after replacing the engine and I am not sure if I am getting coolant to flow. I think it is not flowing because one of the heater core hoses looks like its kinked a little from being mounted different than before. I can hear coolant squishing around in the upper rad hose if I squeeze it with my hand when the car is off, but it doesn't seem like an awful lot and I thought it was supposed to be pressurized. The longest I have had my car running is about 1.5 minutes because I am being cautious about the coolant.

Also, how can I tell if the coolant is leaking inside of the engine? Im being paranoid
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2015, 06:03 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Check your dipstick and see if it's milky

Sent from my 0PCV1 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
19robby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 03:12 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

1) is it leaking on your floor? Driver or passenger.

2) is it fogging up your windows when you turn heat on.

3) check your firewall under the hood to see if it's leaking.

Heater cores are not expensive but the labor is what is pricey.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
joe_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2015, 03:14 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Also look under your car, with radiator fluid or water in it. If it's leaking from your converters it's definitely a heater core. The fire wall drips the coolant onto the exhaust mid pipe and..yea. Bad experience with this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
joe_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 03:32 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
White smoke or chocolate milk oil = internal coolant leak.

But sounds like you have air in the system. Run the car with with the cap off and see if bubbles come out and add as needed

Killing time isnt murder, it's suicide
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:55 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I took some hoses that are clear like you use in a beer bong, and I just put those on instead of my upper rad hose and my coolant return hose from the heater core. That way I could physically watch my coolant flow. I got it to flow and it looks really cool in the transparent hoses. Im not going to drive around with those on though, im putting the real ones back on today
Old 01-04-2015, 11:37 AM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Ok, well you have a carb adapted to the intake right? Is it still the PI intake? A trick to fill the motor up and keep almost all air bubbles out of the coolant system is to remove a temp sensor out of the intake crossover and fill the radiator while the sensor is out. The sensor is the highest point of the coolant system so all the air should exit that port. When coolant gets right to the top of that sensor bung, stop filling, wipe up any overflow, put a thin coating of black or copper RTV on the sensor threads and screw it back in. You don't need to go "He-Man" tight on the sensor as it is going into aluminum. After that, give the RTV an hour or so to cure and then fire the motor up with the rad cap off. Squeeze the main top coolant hose as the car runs and that should "burp" the rest of the air out of the system if there is any. And make damn sure there aren't any kinked lines although the only ones that really could are the heater core lines.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 12:41 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Ok, well you have a carb adapted to the intake right? Is it still the PI intake? A trick to fill the motor up and keep almost all air bubbles out of the coolant system is to remove a temp sensor out of the intake crossover and fill the radiator while the sensor is out. The sensor is the highest point of the coolant system so all the air should exit that port. When coolant gets right to the top of that sensor bung, stop filling, wipe up any overflow, put a thin coating of black or copper RTV on the sensor threads and screw it back in. You don't need to go "He-Man" tight on the sensor as it is going into aluminum. After that, give the RTV an hour or so to cure and then fire the motor up with the rad cap off. Squeeze the main top coolant hose as the car runs and that should "burp" the rest of the air out of the system if there is any. And make damn sure there aren't any kinked lines although the only ones that really could are the heater core lines.
Thank you, and yeah I still have the PI intake. Also, I did something similar yesterday. I filed it it through the coolant lines that come out of the engine and go into the heater core. Then I took a transparent hose and connected the lines that feed and receive from the heater core. So I bypassed the heater core all together so that I didn't have any kinks and ran it until I it was pumping smoothly. I put the cooland reservoir cap back on it and it is smooth now. I just wanted to basically test the engine to make sure it was flowing coolant correctly. Im hooking my heater core back up and Im going to bleed the system again like I did yesterday. I tell you what tho, transparent hoses look cool with brand new bright green coolant flowing through them lol.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:46 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

IMG_8466.jpg Photo by TEddYaki | Photobucket

It looks like this except in a mustang. With a nice shiny carb instead of a turbo as the center piece lol. it seems like something ricers would love if they got their hands on it, but they don't so its just unique if you run it like that now

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT